• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 BE voltage too high cant change on start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luis Babboni

Hi,

Im very new to all this stuff of OC.

I have a Phenom II x4 955 BE and an Asus crosshair Formula V.
Each time I start my system, the AMD overdrive and CPUZ shows my voltages are VCore 1.5 and NB 1.3 nevertheless the BIOS saids 1.380 and 1.110 if I passed for the BIOs prior to start.

I tried change it, via AMD overdrive or via BIOS, to 1.38 and 1.1 but no matter what I try to do, after each restart the AMDOverdrive and CPUZ shows again the 1.5 and 1.3 values :-/

Any hint about how to not need to open AMDoversdrive to change those values each time I restart my system?

Thanks.

CPU-Z doesn't show NB voltage. What's LLC set to in the BIOS, and what's does CPU-Z show as the Vcore while running Prime?

Mmmm.... sorry but Im too new to understand too much here.
I downloaded that Prime and try to run it but it just take few seconds running and the CPUZ shows VCORe reamins the same as I seted.

Thanks Redduc for your time! :)

1st: I had the CPUZ showing Vcore in 1.38
2nd: running Prime and CPUZ shows Vcore vary slithgly around 1.38
3rd: restart PC
4rd: CPUZ shows Vcore in 1.476 (This is the main problem, the voltages changes to danger? value each time I restart PC) :-/
5th: running Prime and CPUZ shows VScore vary slightly between 1:452 and 1:476
6th: stop Prime
7th: change VCore via AMDOverdrive to VCore 1:386
8th: CPUZ shows VCore in 1.386
9th: running Prime and CPUZ shows VScore vary slightly between 1.352 and 1.386

No matter what I change or set in BIOS, after each restart the multiplier change to 16.5 and voltage to 1.5 VCore and 1.3 NB :-(
It is like it is seted like this in someplace where the system looks when start.

Last edited:
Uninstall Overdrive, reboot to the BIOS and make sure the Vcore is still at 1.38V, then re-run Prime w/ CPU-Z open.

EDIT 1: it seems that is solved. It seems that was not AMDOverdrive the problem but CCC!!!!
I had it seted in CPUOverdrive active in 3300MHz!!
I turn it in Deactivated and restart PC and now CPUZ shows just 1.389!!!

Im trying again to confrim is this.

Thanks and very sorry to bored you!

EDIT2: Is clearly that!!!
As soon as I change in CCC CPUOverdrive to active, the cPUZ shows Vcore reaises to 1.49 and as soon as I turn in CCC CPUOverdrive to deactive, the cPUZ VCore goes dowwn to 1.38!!

Im very new to OC stuff, but it seems that this CCC dont make the things correctly?! :shock: Is not the change in the voltage the last thing to do trying to increase the clock speed? Is not much better to just change the multiplier?
What program could you recomend me to use to OC without the need to go to BIOS to have the possibilitie to OC just when need to run a game where I need it?

Thanks again! :)

:(

1th: Uninstall AMDOverdrive
2th: restart PC, BIOS shows 1:38 without I need to do nothing. Load default values; save and restart.
3th: CPUZ Vcore shows 1.38 when open but in, say 2 secs, change to 1.476.
4th: restart PC, BIOS shows 1:38 without I need to do nothing; save and restart (without load default values as before).
5th: CPUZ Vcore shows 1.38 when open but in, say 2 secs, change to 1.476.
6th: run Prime, CPUZ Vcore shows 1.476.

:-/

Dont know if important, runing 4 nucleos with Prime, Core temps goes to around 53º, no more.

Last edited:
Luis, what make and model motherboard are you using? Most of the motherboard manufactures include an overclocking utility on the driver install disc or it can be downloaded from their web site. This would allow you to overclock to some extent. Not as good as doing it in the bios, however, because there are some settings that cannot be changed except in bios.

Luis, what make and model motherboard are you using? Most of the motherboard manufactures include an overclocking utility on the driver install disc or it can be downloaded from their web site. This would allow you to overclock to some extent. Not as good as doing it in the bios, however, because there are some settings that cannot be changed except in bios.

ASUS CRosshair Formula V

The AI Suite II install disc that comes with the motherboard includes an overclocking utility and AMDOD. Either should allow you to do some overclocking but you may find both to have bugs and not give a stable overclock.

Did you realize that in bios there is a tool for saving various overclock profiles that you can choose from when you boot? You could set up one for no overclock and one or more for different levels of overclock depending on what your needs were. I think that's the way I would go because it will probably give you more stability than using the software tools.

Going back to hour first post, it sounds like to me that the voltage differences between bios and the reporting software could be caused by the "green" technology that downclocks and lowers stuff when the CPU is idling. Have you disabled Cool N Quiet and C1e in bios and in Windows Control Panel Power Options have you set it to High Performance?

It was seted in "equilibrated" in Windows control Panel, now in high performance!
So you say is better to start the machine in the OC level you will want, not to change to this level after the PC is started time ago?

In fact I need to OC just to play iRacing on line races where are too many other cars (I use 3 monitors). Said, twice a week 1 hour each time only that meanings not too much trouble to restart in those single moments per week.
I have low peaks of as low as 50FPS and I need at least stable 70 :-/

Thanks Trents!

Are you sure you're slow frame rate is that the CPU is not keeping up or is it he GPU, especially with running 3 monitors? Most games (but not all) rely more heavily on the GPU (video card) than the CPU. If you haven't done so, it would be a good idea to monitor CPU and GPU usage to see which is being the most heavily used. There are Windows "gadgets" for this, a CPU meter gadget and a GPU meter gadget and if you have multiple monitors you could use one to watch the meters since the other two would be running your game full screen.

Overclocking in bios is always a better way to go than using software but it takes a little patience and there is a learning curve. Plenty of folks around here to help you learn it, though.

Thanks Trents again!

Some time downloading and seting meters and seting 4 monitors simultaneously.
Results: the game use around the same amount of CPU and GPU. I never saw more than 10% diff between any of my 4 cores and GPU. Maximum in always less than 70% for the 5 (4 cores + 1 GPU). At first sight sounds strange that I demand 70FPS but get just 60 with no 100% use of the machine.... but I think is a logical thing, Im right?

Time to start trying OC via BIOS then. :)

By the way, you can overclock the GPUs as well. There is no bios to overclock but it's done with software. One such program is MSI Afterburner. You increase the frequency of the CPU GPU and see how far it will go and be stable and then do the same for the video card memory. You can also add voltage to the CPU GPU to allow more increase the overclock. This program measures the temp of the GPU and also has a 3D stress tester. You might start with this cause I think it's easier than tackling the CPU, though we'll help with that too.

Last edited:
amd overdrive show the cpu voltage as what it is set to in overdrive.
if you have invoked the red ring around the green button in amd overdrive and you wish to use another software overclocker, please remove overdriver from your system, reboot, reinstall overdrive and donot invoke the red ring.
please use overdrive as a monitor only and ignore the cpu voltage display.
take it from me, this has driven me nuts for awhile finding this out.

you are very correct Mr. trents.

Last edited:
AMDOD does not display some voltages correctly, especially if they have been changed in bios. I think it just reports VID for some things.

Unless AMD OD has been updated recently, it doesn't support 990FX properly. Only CPU-VID and NB-VID I believe can be changed.

Uninstall AMD OD, it is useless.

Thanks guys for the comments!
Which program you recomended to change the multiplier only?
Directly via BIOS?

Thanks.

Back