• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600PRO overclocks like MAD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Michfan said:

Someone is just gonna have to have both and let us know. I would like to see HOCP do such a thing soon.

The 9600 was built from the ground up and the lessons learned from the 9500 Softmods was applied. ATI covered its butt and its bottom line with this one. We wont be seeing any Softmods on this one.

OTOH ati didnt try clock locks or ghey stuff with this one... resistance is futile :cool: :D

O man.....the 9600pro when o/c'ed that high murders the 9500pro and comes very close to the 9700pro. They really should put that .13 core in a high end card with 8 pipelines and a 256bit mem bus. That would totaly own. Do it ATI, just Do it!!!!!

EDIT: My bet is that r400 will be a 9600pro with 8 pipelines, 256bit mem bus, 256mb DDR-II, clocked nice and high.

Last edited:
im hoping they save the r400 codename for something even better, only ddr2 isnt enough to justify a 10k IMO... ATi will surprass our expectancies :D

mirko_3 said:
true... but if you double speed and take away half the pipelines, it wouldn't matter :D

Uh, I don't think it works like that.

Even if you double the speed, you're still trying to force a whole wack of data through a smaller pipeline.

it still is a nice card and i would buy one just to overclock it.
If it comes out at 150$, maybe prices will drop in about a month or so? what do you think?

If it comes out at that price point, I would probably buy one to either put in my LAN rig or switch out my 9500 non-pro with. It looks like a very nice card regardless of whether it's faster than the 9500 Pro or not.

Unlike the 9500/9700 family the 9600 does not have an external power source. Maybe the core can overclock even HIGHER but it is limited by the power the card can draw from the AGP slot. What are the chances? Slim to none? This may explain why ATI's stock specs on the 9600 are nowhere near the core's maximum potential. Perhaps ATI is afraid they will run into motherboard stability issues with the 9600..? It might be very interesting to see how well the card overclocks on different motherboards.

sappo said:
Unlike the 9500/9700 family the 9600 does not have an external power source. Maybe the core can overclock even HIGHER but it is limited by the power the card can draw from the AGP slot. What are the chances? Slim to none? This may explain why ATI's stock specs on the 9600 are nowhere near the core's maximum potential. Perhaps ATI is afraid they will run into motherboard stability issues with the 9600..? It might be very interesting to see how well the card overclocks on different motherboards.

It's clocked lower for marketing purposes, IMO. If it was cheaper AND outperformed the R9500PRO, it makes it kind of hard to sell all those expensive R300 core R9500PRO's.
I don't think the R9600PRO needs an external power source, just a simple volt mod and some decent cooling, there's no telling how high this thing will go!!! 700MHZ??

Man, I can't wait for ATI's high end .13 part:drool: :drool: :drool: :clap: :beer:

I was just thinking "damn the 9600 pro comes out right after I just got the 9500 pro".

The 9500 pro still pwned it hardcore in almost every bench thrown at the cards at [H].

The geforceFX cannot even hang with ATi's budget cards:p Oh how the tides have turned.

PhobMX said:
i cant wait too, ill get a r9700np on a couple of days. Im not willing to use my hitachi lcd with this crap r8500

LOL, I think the non-pro R9700 is still the best bang for the buck too, but I'll be hanging onto my "crap" R8500 until the high-end .13 from ATI comes out, then I'll pick between that and the NV35.

Still pretty happy w/ my old R8500, but starting to feel that upgrade bug pretty hard, getting tougher and tougher every day:)

its a little dissapointing really. i expected it to cream the 9500pro with its huge overclocks. In reality it only matches it. To me that means the core has a very limited life. even when overclocked to the extream it only matches the 9500pro which has been out fo a very long time. im hoping the 9800 will fiar much better.

james.miller said:
its a little dissapointing really. i expected it to cream the 9500pro with its huge overclocks. In reality it only matches it. To me that means the core has a very limited life. even when overclocked to the extream it only matches the 9500pro which has been out fo a very long time. im hoping the 9800 will fiar much better.

the core is okay, 4 pipelines sux ...

NO LIFE said:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDY0

HardOCP's o/c tells a very different story. Dont count the 9600 out right away.

That review is comparing an overclocked 9600 pro with a 9500 pro at stock speeds which I think is not a fair comparison.

The review Sappo posted a link to is making an apples to apples comparison by comparing an overclocked 9600 pro to an overclocked 9500 pro.

A great read indeed! Thanks for the link Sappo. :)

i tried to add an edit to my post once I noticed that but......WSOD. :p

My point is that the 9600pro takes a small amount of overclocking (which seems to be absolutely no prob. for this card even with crap stock cooling) to reach 9500pro speeds, and its less money. A true overclockers product. IMO :)

Back