• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600PRO overclocks like MAD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NO LIFE said:
i tried to add an edit to my post once I noticed that but......WSOD. :p

My point is that the 9600pro takes a small amount of overclocking (which seems to be absolutely no prob. for this card even with crap stock cooling) to reach 9500pro speeds, and its less money. A true overclockers product. IMO :)

less money? on newegg, they're about $30 more....

Last edited:
Whoa, where did this thread come from
The 9600 Pro's are less money..
I should have mine monday and i will post in depth results stock oc'd and oc'd with good cooling. btw here is a 9500 Pro OC Vs 9600 Pro OC some ppl were lookin for.

I know the 9600 pros are cheaper to make so their prices should drop lower but so far that hasnt been happening. I never seen 9600 pro below $180 ish on newegg. This is a little weird since 9500 pro is both better (at least stock) and cheaper. Charging more for an inferior product is not what your economics textbook would say is a good idea. Of course, these days ATI is competing largly with itself...
Could it be that Nvidias poor showing is keeping ATI prices up?

I couldnt find a 9500 Pro from a trusted site that was actually in stock for less than 200$ OEM or retail. You definately won't find a 9500 Pro retail at Newegg for 183$, it will be at least 20$ more.. Not like you will find any 9500 Pro there anyway.. And FIC 9500 Pro's don't even count if you found one.. there is no bios for them that allows overclocking.

torchedlh, those are not Pros. If i remember correctly, a stock 9600 Pro whoops up on a 9500 n/p.

I'm actually pretty disappointed that prices on ATI's cards dont drop as quickly as Nvidia's (or at least their FX family). Review sites kept saying that the 9000 would drop in price and be an attractive buy for bargain seekers --thus becoming a good alternative the the faster 8500. But the 9000 is STILL not cheaper than the 8500. It's possible the same may pan out for the 9600. I really hope we'll start seeing the 9600 pro come way down in price in soon.

sappo said:
torchedlh, those are not Pros. If i remember correctly, a stock 9600 Pro whoops up on a 9500 n/p.

o, so it has to say PRO on it? i thought all 128mb versions were PRO.....

That link does not work.. They don't have any anyway, and they havent had any for over a week.. I don't think they are going to get any either.. When they had a retail ATI 9500 Pro last it was over 200$.. The 9600 is 183$.

The 9600 dosent have the physical ability to run 8 pipes... apparently thats a hardware thing that they made sure to not include this time so they wouldnt have a 9500 to 9700 fiasco again. None of my uber geek friends said anything about the 256 pipeline though... dont even have a clue if thats software or hardware.

After reading these kind of reviews on my 9600 Pro and putting a stock AMD HSF on it I made it to 501/720! If only I had 4 more pipes! I can see this as the next core used in future Radeons, it has much more to offer than what a 9600 pro has for it.

Would be nice to see a company come out with a 9600 pro that has mounting holes and maybe an extra power connector. You can help the power limitations by upping the agp voltage a touch, but that can get dangerous.

I'll bet that these cards will dominate the budget market if this happens.

what a great thread. i was looking for a card for my SFF lan box i have planned and the 9600pro fits the bill. its 178 shipped on newegg for the built by ATI version. the 9500pro is still 199.

both overclocked = same performance but the 9600pro is 21 bucks cheaper. not to mention the 9600 runs cooler so it will work better in my SFF box.

thanks to all who participated in this thread. it was very insightful.

Maxvla said:
what a great thread. i was looking for a card for my SFF lan box i have planned and the 9600pro fits the bill. its 178 shipped on newegg for the built by ATI version. the 9500pro is still 199.

both overclocked = same performance but the 9600pro is 21 bucks cheaper. not to mention the 9600 runs cooler so it will work better in my SFF box.

thanks to all who participated in this thread. it was very insightful.

This thread is very old and the new ones going out are not overclocking well at all.... heres something i wrote after i bought a BBA 9600 Pro and tested it..

I have tested a 9600 Pro(around 488/355) and (L-shape)9500np(around 365/320) (not modded) head to head /w clean reformats and the 9500np won every time. I tested with performance settings and quality /w 2xAA/4xAF & 4x/4x with 3dmarks and Vice City. This is a moderate overclock in the 9500np and a slightly above average OC on the 9600 Pro... The very first ones that went out clocked extremely high or at least over 500 and the newer ones going out ussually clock around 450-480.

If you want to see benchmarks just look at Futuremark's ORB and make sure you ignore all of the 9600 TX ones because they are using 8 pipes and the R300 core. All of the highest ones are the TX's and you will find the 9600 Pro's with very low scores for the system.. even lower than a 9500np would score.

well my main reason for picking the 9600pro is because my lan box is very very small and uses a 220W psu. the lower heat output of the 9600pro is very attractive since the case only has 2 cooling devices in it besides the cpu cooler and video cooler. also not having the extra power connector means less strain on the 220W psu which translates to lower temps again.

thanks for the info though.

if it doesn't work out i can just put my 9500pro in it.

It may be a good choice then if your not just looking for performance/price. Even when overclocked to the full it dosent even get warm to the touch in my system, and takes hardly any power... i believe the core runs at only 1.3v.

k1114 said:
Would be nice to see a company come out with a 9600 pro that has mounting holes and maybe an extra power connector. You can help the power limitations by upping the agp voltage a touch, but that can get dangerous.

I'll bet that these cards will dominate the budget market if this happens.

The 9600 doesn't have mounting holes?! No! That means, no big-*** Zalman heat pipe.:temper:

Back