• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965 needs a home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Generally MSI is not very good for OCing AMD due to weak, underpowered VRM/Mosfett section. Personally I would pass on that headache. Been then done that.

Edit: for a budget board that had no plans of putting an FX into, I'd look in this range...
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301054273889?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

That 965 is a 125W CPU at stock so your going to want a decent board to push it. Especially if you want to push it far e.g. benchmarking. JMO

hmm in that case I guess i'm better off just biting the bullet and getting me another sbth or chvz so I'll be able to just slap another cpu in it when I'm ready. was just hoping to get away with 40.00 mobo for now should of known better well thanks for telling me what I needed to hear.

For Ocing purposes i don't trust MSi THAT MUCH, didn't had good experiences with them and i got one MSI am3 board fail on me on OC, stick with Asus or Gigabyte they never gave me any problem and i had made really extreme overclocking with both brands lol.

I have had just about every manufactures board and the best board I have had was a msi 890fx gd70, it was a beast, I have had rog, giga asrock and the msi beat them hands down, most of my other boards have developed problems over time but up until I sold the msi it was still going like a champ after multiple sub zero sessions, as with almost every piece of hardware you buy, it is the luck of the draw as to whether you got a doozy or a lemon.

I have an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 that may be looking for a new home. I managed to OC my 965 to 4.38Ghz stable for 3 hours on Prime95 with it. I am sure it would have kept going, but it was getting late so I stopped it. I did a full 8 hour test at 4.2Ghz.

Back