• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 GTX or the 8800 GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you've got an SLi capable board, I'd look at 2 x 8800GTs. If not, then just go for the 8800GTS 512MB. If you're not going to overclock, I'd buy one of the higher clocked versions that carry a little premium over the stock clocked ones.

I bought a 9800 GTX, but mainly because it ran cooler, is a bit more efficient, and also comes with .8ns DDR3 - and I can step up in 90 days if these new revisions are released in June or July (barely though).

Also, the 8800GTS might match the core of a 9800GTX, but it won't match the memory clocks as it comes with slightly slower memory.

Mine arrived today; it's installed and I'm currently pulling down drivers. We'll see how she does. Pretty big card. A little more than an inch longer than an 8800 series if I had to guess.

Then I suppose the 9800GTX must not be an overclocked 8800GTS either because it has "additional hardware capabilities" as well ;)
The 8800gt has 112Sp VS the 8800GTS 128SP

Bingo. If you push a GT to GTS clocks, it will still be slower than the GTS. You can push a GTS to GTX speeds and they will perform about the same.

You may get a touch more headroom with the GTX, but it is still not worth the money.

Bingo. If you push a GT to GTS clocks, it will still be slower than the GTS. You can push a GTS to GTX speeds and they will perform about the same.

You may get a touch more headroom with the GTX, but it is still not worth the money.

You can't push an 8800GTS to 9800GTX clocks though :bang head Just like you can't push an 8800GTX to Ultra clocks. Like I said if your not gonna overclock no sense bothering with 9800GTX but if you are it is the fastest single GPU card right now. I will predict Tri-SLi 9800GTX break the 3dmark06 world record in a couple weeks. Look at this score on 2 9800GTX SLi stock cooling no vmod and a watercooled 4.4ghz:

20080408_4af0c1e1a2a6662e6b361SMcbxF09fwO.jpg

Now imagine what 3 is gonna do when they put them on a 5.5ghz cpu with LN2 :beer:

8800gtx is better than 8800gts not by a whole lot but if the price doesnt bother you id get the gtx

so basicaly everyone is saying that upgrade from 8800GTX to 9800GTX is a no no
8800GTX can out perform the 8800GTS
8800GTX can out perform the 9800GTX

You can't push an 8800GTS to 9800GTX clocks though :bang head Just like you can't push an 8800GTX to Ultra clocks. Like I said if your not gonna overclock no sense bothering with 9800GTX but if you are it is the fastest single GPU card right now. I will predict Tri-SLi 9800GTX break the 3dmark06 world record in a couple weeks. Look at this score on 2 9800GTX SLi stock cooling no vmod and a watercooled 4.4ghz:

20080408_4af0c1e1a2a6662e6b361SMcbxF09fwO.jpg

Now imagine what 3 is gonna do when they put them on a 5.5ghz cpu with LN2 :beer:
Pretty close though
attachment.php
It looks like not all 9800GTX clock that well. Read this thread where he could only take his 9800GTX to 852/1250/2070.
Also that 3DMark 06 score is all Quad core baby not GFX card. The 3800X2 was made for 3DMark 06, heck they're pulling 32k with Quad fire and besides I don't think Tri-Sli can top Nvidias top offering of dual 9800GX2s.

Pretty close though
attachment.php
It looks like not all 9800GTX clock that well. Read this thread where he could only take his 9800GTX to 852/1250/2070.
Also that 3DMark 06 score is all Quad core baby not GFX card. The 3800X2 was made for 3DMark 06, heck they're pulling 32k with Quad fire and besides I don't think Tri-Sli can top Nvidias top offering of dual 9800GX2s.

We'll see, I saw that guy's post. I think he got a bum card but I can't say for sure. Mine from stepup will be here on Monday so i can do some test for myself. As long as it performs as good as my 8800GTX SLi without the heat I will be happy. Those 8800GTX are miserable for the heat but I am hoping for more performance from OCing these 9800GTX's. Will post back some results after monday!

You can't cherry-pick two pictures and say 'look this proves ____' and I bet that GTS was volt-modded. That's soo unscientific and all it proves is what those two samples can do.

ever play cod4 with max ingame settings at 1680x1050, 8xqaa, 16xaf, and triple buffering? its pretty sweet.. ill stick with my 88gtx :)

You can't cherry-pick two pictures and say 'look this proves ____' and I bet that GTS was volt-modded. That's soo unscientific and all it proves is what those two samples can do.

I ran both cards on the exact same rig with exact same CPU, RAM and mobo settings, so don't know how it cannot be a good comparison....also the card is used in the unmodded state. I thought I'd just set the record straight as you are refering to my data.

The guys at HardOCP only got 775core from the 9800GTX.

ever play cod4 with max ingame settings at 1680x1050, 8xqaa, 16xaf, and triple buffering? its pretty sweet.. ill stick with my 88gtx :)
I think you can do that with a 8800GT.

I ran both cards on the exact same rig with exact same CPU, RAM and mobo settings, so don't know how it cannot be a good comparison....also the card is used in the unmodded state. I thought I'd just set the record straight as you are refering to my data.

All I meant was a sample size of 1 of each card should not be used to draw broad conclusions. A thread like one of the CPU overclock database threads that are around would be more indisative of the range to be expected. It would have been nice to see your GTX do more though.

I do agree that for someone who was buying new a 9800 isn't a worthwhile step up from a GTS. I'm getting mine only because I could step-up from an almost the same price GTS. Maybe I'll get a winnar ;) Too bad the memory doesn't oc noticably higher but 1200 is a darn good 20% oc on GTS memory. I haven't gotten it yet but I should not have gotten a GTS either tbh, I don't game enough any more :-/ I'm half considering taking a small loss on the 9800 and just getting a 9600GT.

All I meant was a sample size of 1 of each card should not be used to draw broad conclusions. A thread like one of the CPU overclock database threads that are around would be more indisative of the range to be expected. It would have been nice to see your GTX do more though.

I do agree that for someone who was buying new a 9800 isn't a worthwhile step up from a GTS. I'm getting mine only because I could step-up from an almost the same price GTS. Maybe I'll get a winnar ;) Too bad the memory doesn't oc noticably higher but 1200 is a darn good 20% oc on GTS memory. I haven't gotten it yet but I should not have gotten a GTS either tbh, I don't game enough any more :-/ I'm half considering taking a small loss on the 9800 and just getting a 9600GT.

Agree, as more cards surface we'll get a better idea on how they do as a whole. Hope yours is a champ, in all fairness the 9800 GTX is a solid card and perform well, the price will come down over time and become more in line with the rest.

Looking at the G92 thread here an 840MHz core speed is on the high end for a GTS. So you got a good GTS at least, maybe a fair GTX. I'm scouring sites for a comparison that runs lots of games and has the 8800GT and GTS 512, 9600GT AND GTX (although it's not necessary because it's a bumped GTS.) I can't really find any comprehensive ones. xbitlabs does the widest range of real game benchmarks but their 9600GT review uses a Gainward/Palit non-reference design although that's ok for stock speeds. Techreport had the right GPUs but many fewer games. I'm going to mull it over and decide :p

*Looks like the 9600GT is good for current stuff but in 'next gen' shader heavy DX10 titles it falls considerably behind the G92 cores. Meh, still dunno. I've been upgrading so much more in the past year than I had for years before that I'm almost prepared to just spend a few hundred a year on perpetual upgrades rather than holding on to hardware for years.

Last edited:
Yea, not all GTSs clock that well. Mine was only able to get to like 750MHz, and then to add insult to injury, my memory wouldn't go above 1000. Factor that, and the fact that my stepup was free except shipping, 9800 was a no-brainer.

Back