• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

990FX boards not necessarily compatible with FX CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
Those who bought 990FX boards assuming that you can just pop your new shiny Bulldozer chip in could find out that you cannot post, not becuase the board or CPU is bad but due to the fact that the bios is not compatible.
Some of you will say well why dont you update to the latest bios, you need another CPU for that, why buy two CPU's to run one I say, especially when it has been widely advertised that all 990FX boards will be Bulldozer compatible. :confused:

I learned the hard way today with a FX-8150 CPU that would not run on a new Asrock 990FX Extreme4 which was supposed to be compatible straight from the box.
I had to go and buy a new CPU just to flash the board so I could get the FX to boot.

That sucks brother. I had the same thing happen a few years back with an AMD board. What board do you have?

Thanks for the heads up.:thup:

For once it's nice being broke and not being able to buy anything. But it seems like you guys will be joining me soon considering all the trouble BD is giving you.

To me it seems like AMD could have done something to really further their company, but instead has damaged it. Badly. They are pulling a Quickster Netflix

I was reading around on few sites and the recurring theme seems to be that Asrock's boards are supporting BD very well, and that Asus is the one having problems:shrug: No mention of Gigabyte that I saw

Gigabyte have bioses for some weeks now. For my board ( UD5 ) F5 is compatible with FX and it was out 29 september ( was even faster but this date is from their site ). What is funny there was F6D bios for maybe 3-4 days on official site but it's not there anymore. Don't know if there are problems with this version ( I wish not as it's fixing SATA3 bandwidth problems and I already have it on my board running really stable ).

This info was available on 10/10/11... I knew before release how come other people didn't? Am I the only one reading all the sign posts on the BD pain train?

Back