• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A better MB controller than Asus AI Suite III?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

I am sick of Asus AI Suite III already. It doesn't work right. It is not as functional as the older versions. Even increasing fan threshold doesn't work. My CPU idol temperatures fluctuate from 30s to 60s and fan speed is staying the same. I cannot tolerate this situation anymore. My pc reset today and as WHOCRASHED confirmed could be a thermal issue.

Is there a better piece of software I can use for MB control? Fan speed, etc... ?

2020-02-19 19_51_44-WhoCrashed  (HOME EDITION)  v 6.65  -   http___www.resplendence.com.jpg

My CPU idol temperatures fluctuate from 30s to 60s and fan speed is staying the same.
I don't see a problem here on idle. More importantly, what are your LOAD temperatures? These CPUs are good to 90C+ (throttle at 100C).

The image you provided shows some kind of memory issue... but doesn't remotely confirm overheating. Memory doesn't typically overheat in the first place... especially at stock speeds.

AISIII is MEH at best, gets in the way and garbage at worst. I'd control things from the BIOS as well.

I don't see a problem here on idle. More importantly, what are your LOAD temperatures? These CPUs are good to 90C+ (throttle at 100C).

The image you provided shows some kind of memory issue... but doesn't remotely confirm overheating. Memory doesn't typically overheat in the first place... especially at stock speeds.

Not sure how to find load temps. I was on skype and had about 200 FF browser windows opened, which is my normal use. And some other things opened like mail / WORD etc. No massive RAM or CPU tasks, suddenly I copied a link to the person I was talking to on skype and then suddenly the system locked up, waited about 5 seconds, tried to use the keyboard, nothing, mouse, nothing, ctrl/alt/del for menu, nothing. then.. finally the pc rebooted itself, but no blue screen. odd... so I suspect a temp issue. I don't know. Here is what I have screen shot from a little after the event to monitor what is going on.

2020-02-19 22_13_27-CPUID HWMonitor.jpg 2020-02-19 22_04_40-Microsoft Edge.jpg

AISIII is MEH at best, gets in the way and garbage at worst. I'd control things from the BIOS as well.

No idea, I don't like to mess with the bios. I was hoping their is another program out there better than AI Suite, I have noticed that Aura also is not working right and I am not the only one complaining about this. Nothing seems to save once selected, or the controls do not work. For example, the GPU I can set, but the MB Aura lights cannot be, it is greyed out. It is odd, checked online there seems to be some work arounds, but it is not worth the trouble. And yes, Asus AIS III is garbage, total garbage. I just want the fans to speed up a bit to keep things cooler. It is winter now, so I can accept, but in summer, it's going to get to 35C inside my office, which is going to significantly increase the CPU temps.

Not sure how to find load temps. I was on skype and had about 200 FF browser windows opened, which is my normal use. And some other things opened like mail / WORD etc. No massive RAM or CPU tasks,
You leave your monitoring open and put a load on it.........like a stress test or something. The images you put here, what 'load' is that getting to 70c?

You also say no massive RAM tasks, yet you say you had 200 FF browser windows open...how is that not RAM intensive keeping such an inordinately high amount of FF tabs open?

No idea, I don't like to mess with the bios. I was hoping their is another program out there better than AI Suite,
None I can think of... Speedfan, but it was ancient 10 years ago... some people can still use it.

Otherwise, adjust it in the BIOS.

Do you remember when I asked about how much RAM I need and I wanted 64GB and everyone said it was going to be too much? And remember I mentioned that I use FF and Chrome with 100s of tabs opened at the same time but everyone said no, I only need 16GB or at most 32gb? I am now considering I do need 64 but now have to spend more money because I only have two slots for RAM, so I cannot add, I have to buy new. Unless there is a voltage issue with the RAM and that could be what was causing it. I don't know..

So here is what it looks like under load, but not for very long, I didn't know what would happen if I left it there any longer than about 2 minutes. Seems no issue. 2020-02-19 22_43_35-CPUID HWMonitor.jpg

Do you remember when I asked about how much RAM I need and I wanted 64GB and everyone said it was going to be too much? And remember I mentioned that I use FF and Chrome with 100s of tabs opened at the same time but everyone said no, I only need 16GB or at most 32gb?
Not really, no...but this also proves that you are using a lot of RAM if 32GB isn't enough already.

You can try raising the System Agent voltage 0.10V and see if that helps...

As you can see from whatever stress test you are running (what is that, actually?), temperatures are fine. I'd run something a bit more stressful... maybe AIDA64, Prime95, etc..... but as it stands, 70C is fine as I said above.

It probably wasn't the best of ideas, but I popped cpu stress test into google, and viola I got https://cpux.net/cpu-stress-test-online and that is what I used. Probably not the most ideal thing to do, but it seems to have worked boosted loads to 99% to 100% at one time, I had to move down the threads in order not to go over 100%. I don't want to fry my chip. Do you think I need to download those then to run? I am not very familiar with running these tests, so if something is more timed and geared towards my system it is better.

Well, I remember very well that everyone here told me 32G was more than enough, and I kept pushing it, but everyone kept pushing back, so I gave in and bought 32gb only. And I remember if I wanted 64gb, there was another change I would have had to make to the system, but now forgot what that change was... oh well, anyway, for now 32 will have to do and I will have to cut back on my 200-300-400 opened browser tabs, yeah, I know it's ridiculous, I just don't close stuff.

AIDA64, Prime 95, etc... all very popular CPU stress tests for the last decade. You've likely used them before. ;)

100% loads are fine and you will not fry your chip at those temperatures and voltages.

Well, I remember very well that everyone here told me 32G was more than enough, and I kept pushing it, but everyone kept pushing back, so I gave in and bought 32gb only. And I remember if I wanted 64gb, there was another change I would have had to make to the system, but now forgot what that change was... oh well, anyway, for now 32 will have to do and I will have to cut back on my 200-300-400 opened browser tabs, yeah, I know it's ridiculous, I just don't close stuff.
Yeah, having that many tabs up at once seems incredibly ridiculous. If you wanted 64GB, your obvious change is buying 4x16GB sticks...which will likely take some tweaking to be stable.

Only you know your RAM use... and if you know you need it, you should have not listened to us. But judging how these threads go, I am betting we were left unaware of how much you actually use...

EDIT: Yeah, just mentioned you 'wanted' it in a thread from a while ago. ;)

EDIT2: Are you running out of RAM when you have this ungodly amount of tabs up? Check!!!! Mybe that is the issue??

Last edited:
Nobody can possibly use hundreds of tabs at the same time. :p
You're creating your own 1 of a kind issue. Close some tabs.

AIDA64, Prime 95, etc... all very popular CPU stress tests for the last decade. You've likely used them before. ;)

100% loads are fine and you will not fry your chip at those temperatures and voltages.

Yeah, having that many tabs up at once seems incredibly ridiculous. If you wanted 64GB, your obvious change is buying 4x16GB sticks...which will likely take some tweaking to be stable.

Only you know your RAM use... and if you know you need it, you should have not listened to us. But judging how these threads go, I am betting we were left unaware of how much you actually use...

EDIT: Yeah, just mentioned you 'wanted' it in a thread from a while ago. ;)

EDIT2: Are you running out of RAM when you have this ungodly amount of tabs up? Check!!!! Mybe that is the issue??

I think I have never used Prime 95, etc. I have never had to do a cpu stress test even though, yeah I know, I have been here a long long time. :p:D

Yeah I know, lots of tabs, I know, my RAM is down to about 6-9GB I have checked. I am not sure if I can use 2x 32GB sticks or not, I have to check the MB specs. If 4x16GB... barf... My fan is in the way and I am not removing it to install RAM. HyperX seems to stick out too far too to go under the fan the way the system is set up. I should not have listened to you guys yeah, I know, that is crystal clear now. But I can say, 32 is better than the 16 ihad in my last machine, so I just need to close the browser more often probably. haha.

Nobody can possibly use hundreds of tabs at the same time. :p
You're creating your own 1 of a kind issue. Close some tabs.

I can! :attn::D:D And yes it is an issue, no one understood this when I told them I needed 64GB and why... sigh.. now everyone knows more RAM is very important!

EDIT: Well.... I think I just found part of the problem. Put your coffee down, don't drink, and sit down. I am serious, cause if you drink or stand up you will choke or fall out of your chair... Fair warning... I just went to close FireFox down for the first time in about a week... And it said... "You are about to close 970 tabs. Tabs in non-private windows will be restored when you restart. Are you sure you want to continue?" :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What do you guys think? Could that at all possibly be the problem? Nah.... no way... :rofl::attn: New world's record perhaps? I have no idea how that happened... hahahaha

2020-02-21 00_42_33-A better MB controller than Asus AI Suite III_ _ Overclockers Forums.jpg

PROOF!! Call the Guinness Book of World Records!

Last edited:
Sheesh.. lol!!! Get better browsing habits... that is just nuts to me, lol!

LOL!!! To be honest, I had no idea the browser could even support opening 1000 tabs, but now we know it can. hahahahahahaha. I guess I should close tabs from time to time eh? hahaha.

What I am finding though, is if I close FF and reopen it, I can get back 10-15GB of RAM. And it seems browsers, or just FF are RAM eaters. I have only 10 tabs opened now and am down to 16GB of free space from 22GB earlier. Browsers need to be closed probably once a day, even if you open up all the same tabs to clear the garbage out.

Last edited:
You had FF open for a week? You mean you had your computer on for a week?

You also would do well to restart your computer more often to clear "memory leaks." Programs don't always clean up after themselves like they should when you close them. That means they can and do leave pieces of themselves behind in memory and this builds up over time so as to crowd the memory. No matter how much memory you have installed this phenomenon is at work and will eventually cause system stability problems. What's more, Chrome and Firefox historically have been some of the worst offenders with regard to memory leaks. Restarting the computer clears the memory leaks. I recommend to my customers that they restart their computers at least once a week.

And like the others have said, you need to do a better job of managing your computing habits. I agree with Mr. Scott when he said, "How can anyone have hundreds of tabs open?" There isn't enough room across the top of the browser to possibly see the page descriptors if that many tabs are open so what is the point in leaving them open?

I doubt if your instability is due to thermal problems. You can check temps while computing simply by having a monitor open while computing, such as HWInfo64. Watch the Tctl/Tdie line. Sometimes those two are separate lines and sometimes they are combined.

A lot of the issues you come to us with are self-imposed things where you're saying, "I don't like your suggestions, I want to do it my way, even if it doesn't work. Please help me to do it." I'm reminded of the old fart who went to his doctor and complained that every time he drank iced tea he got a stabbing pain in his eye. The doctor looked him in the face and said, "Try taking the spoon out of the glass first."

Attachments

• Temp.png
    Temp.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
You had FF open for a week? You mean you had your computer on for a week?

You also would do well to restart your computer more often to clear "memory leaks." Programs don't always clean up after themselves like they should when you close them. That means they can and do leave pieces of themselves behind in memory and this builds up over time so as to crowd the memory. No matter how much memory you have installed this phenomenon is at work and will eventually cause system stability problems. What's more, Chrome and Firefox historically have been some of the worst offenders with regard to memory leaks. Restarting the computer clears the memory leaks. I recommend to my customers that they restart their computers at least once a week.

And like the others have said, you need to do a better job of managing your computing habits. I agree with Mr. Scott when he said, "How can anyone have hundreds of tabs open?" There isn't enough room across the top of the browser to possibly see the page descriptors if that many tabs are open so what is the point in leaving them open?

I doubt if your instability is due to thermal problems. You can check temps while computing simply by having a monitor open while computing, such as HWInfo64. Watch the Tctl/Tdie line. Sometimes those two are separate lines and sometimes they are combined.

A lot of the issues you come to us with are self-imposed things where you're saying, "I don't like your suggestions, I want to do it my way, even if it doesn't work. Please help me to do it." I'm reminded of the old fart who went to his doctor and complained that every time he drank iced tea he got a stabbing pain in his eye. The doctor looked him in the face and said, "Try taking the spoon out of the glass first."

Yes, that's right, I rarely close my browsers or turn off my machine, why? Is this bad? Twenty years ago they said don't power off, leave it running, saves on power surges to the system, I know some people turn off and others don't. Do you turn off your smart phone every night before you to go to bed? I don't.

I will start to restart my pc more often, that is for sure. To clear out everything, I reboot my phone once a week for the same purpose you mention.

I will start to close my browsers before I sleep also.

As for your comment "self-imposed things" "don't like suggestions" "do it my way" etc.. look, isn't having a pc and making it do what you want it to do the whole point of this forum? That is why we DIY computers no? We set them up in a way which we use them, each user is different, no? I want my pc to behave a certain way and I want to figure out how to do it. Why not ask the forum experts here how to make it happen? I will listen to suggestions like you mentioned about, I will close browsers, work on my tab management, and reboot the pc more often. But look, my old pc of 7 years I have been doing the same thing, never had a thermal issue or instability issue with it and I have been doing the same thing with it. Why would a new pc behave worse with better hardware? That's the whole point.

So a follow up, my new pc died. Already. Used it for 40 days, it's dead. Was on a skype call, and suddenly everything froze up, loud tone, not sure if that was coming through the speakers or pc, I had to shut it down as something wasn't right. So..... Tried to reboot, wasn't having it. The system would start up for about 5 seconds, fans on, lights on, and then it would turn off by itself and repeat the process of powering up and shutting down in five seconds, and would continue this until I hard powered down the machine.

So I had a friend over, tried to isolate the problem, removed the GPU first, one long beep 3 short beeps, indicates no GPU, duh, but not sure that means the gpu is dead or the slot is dead or just no gpu. so I put in another gpu from my currently being used old machine again and the same thing happened, the machine would power on, then die in 5 seconds and repeat. Once, and only once did we get the Mega American or whatever the hell that red logo is. I think that means the CPU is not dead... Took out a memory stick also and the same thing happened. The only thing we did not take out was the cpu to check the glue, a royal pain in the butt to get to, so we figured it could still be any of the three major components. GPU. CPU or MB, and my money is in the MB. We moved the gpu from S to N bridge, or vice versa, sorry I am not familiar with the names, and it did the same thing.... So..... it's dead.. Someone mentioned it could be the power supply. Is that possible?? I am getting power to the system, could it still be dead? I am confused... or not big enough?? I don't know, I don't get it...

So, I had to call the arrogant jerk reseller, he told me it will be two weeks! Two bloody weeks, in a corona infested world that we need to work at home, I am so mad. He still hasn't come to get it, or told me how to get it back to him, 2 days wasted waiting for this clown who basically told me he is just going to remove all the hardware and send it back to the venders for testing, takes 3 days each and then wait to see what happens and if they can fix it or not. I am really angry. new system, 2k in it used it for 40 days, many issues with temps, blue screens, weird things going on. So I wonder.. What is the issue guys? Thermal issue? just bad luck with the MB, or something else? any ideas?

EDIT: And I have a critical question. I have not stored files in the cloud, I am not sure which one to use, as none of them do what I want them to do at least not that I have figured out.. So... here is a question. As I have no access to email and my files now as they are all on my other system, including the SSD which I cannot use as it is an M.2, no way to check the files on it... but some files may be stored on another HDD. But here is the question... Some programs were installed to the SSD, they are safe, no issues, but on the HDD other programs are installed... so what happens if I hate that new pc hdd, and put it in my old PC? or use an external drive device to run that HDD? Am I risking screwing up all my programs for the new systems? As some of the programs on my old system are the same as on the new one? I am asking because I would like to access some of the files on the new HDD, but worry once I power it up on my old pc that when I put it back in my new pc something will be messed up... I am not sure how that works as I have never had to do this.

Also.... nowadays will a reinstall of the OS be required if the same hardware is put in or different hardware is put in? If they change my motherboard to a different model am I SOL and have to reinstall Win 10? Or has this issue been resolved and no need to reinstall the OS now?

Many questions in this post guys, sorry. But thanks.

Sounds like a failed PSU to me.

Using the drives in another computer may or may not work. If it boots and gets into Windows, the OS it will look for appropriate chipset and device drivers and install them. Make sure the old machine is connected to the internet so Windows can look for drivers it may not already have. The drivers are the critical issue. Could it corrupt the system disk so that it won't boot in any machine? It could. Your programs won't be borked per se but if the ability of the system drive to boot is removed the programs can't be used anyway. But if you connect the drives to another computer you will lose activation on some programs, like MS Office.

I would try a different PSU first.

I assume from earlier remarks you made about the builder you are not willing to seek repairs from him via the warranty.

Sounds like a failed PSU to me.

Using the drives in another computer may or may not work. If it boots and gets into Windows, the OS it will look for appropriate chipset and device drivers and install them. Make sure the old machine is connected to the internet so Windows can look for drivers it may not already have. The drivers are the critical issue. Could it corrupt the system disk so that it won't boot in any machine? It could. Your programs won't be borked per se but if the ability of the system drive to boot is removed the programs can't be used anyway. But if you connect the drives to another computer you will lose activation on some programs, like MS Office.

I would try a different PSU first.

I assume from earlier remarks you made about the builder you are not willing to seek repairs from him via the warranty.

We were ALL wrong! I took it to a place about 10 minutes away from my house today as I got tired of waiting for the arrogant *** to contact me to arrange for service. His plan was to get the machine and send everything back to each vendor testing. Not sure if he would have tested it first or not, and that would have taken two weeks. So I gave up, went to a place nearby that had really good reviews, and well.. cost me $24 bucks, and took 20 minutes. You will never believe what happened, I am not even sure I want to say it, because I am shocked to be honest...

He originally thought it was the PSU also, tested with his then mine, and both were powering up ok on his meter, so that was ruled out immediately.

One of my RAM Dimms apparently was not in the slot correctly. What is odd about the whole thing is that I also took out the DIMM to test the system and it was doing the same thing. So when I put it back the second time it didn't click in correctly either. Unless it was the other one and we just swapped the positions. Anyway, it was a loose DIMM. Have no bloody clue how this could happen, used the system for 40 days and no issues with RAM. Been running at home now for an hour, so far so good, I am hoping that is the end of this.

Also he found out why I sometimes get a blue screen. It is the Start Menu X Classic shell that is doing it, when I use it to power down the system, it blue screens, when I use ctl-alt-del it doesn't.. So.. I either need to uninstall it or get them to fix the problem.

I am very happy that nothing was seriously wrong with the computer, at least so far. Just have to see how it goes now, will watch the temps on the RAM, as maybe they got too hot and one popped out? Who knows.. I will check it.

So you're saying that apparently the RAM stick wasn't seated correctly in the first place when you first got the machine?

My advice to you would be to dispense with 3rd party start menu shells altogether and learn to use what's built-in to Windows 10 natively. Sounds like you're still wanting it to look like and work like Windows 7.

Reseating parts properly... Troubleshooting 101... lol!

Glad it is working!

RIGHT?!?! RIGHT?!?!?! I mean OMG WTF?! This guy gets paid to put machines together and can't put a bloody RAM DIMM in right?

So you're saying that apparently the RAM stick wasn't seated correctly in the first place when you first got the machine?

My advice to you would be to dispense with 3rd party start menu shells altogether and learn to use what's built-in to Windows 10 natively. Sounds like you're still wanting it to look like and work like Windows 7.

This is the funny thing, yeah... unless it got jostled out during the transit to my home from the reseller, or when I installed something, but I have not moved or touched anything inside this computer since January! And I am wondering how the hell the machine even worked at all if the DIMM wasn't seated right!?

I don't like Win 10 shell. haha. I have contacted Start Menu X to see if they have a fix, or I will find another one from an earlier threat people were talking about. Yes, I want the classic shell still. I just cannot use the shutdown or restart from the start menu, I need to shut down or reboot another way.

I am just dumbfounded by the DIMM.. I mean.... seriously...

Back