• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A boy and his dewar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I wanted to share how I deal with my 150L dewar with everyone. You may have seen bits and pieces elsewhere, as many of you helped me figure out how to get the dewar onto and off of my truck... I ended up keeping it simple and it worked out pretty well.

I started by buying a set of tailgate ramps which cost about $20 and a pair of 8' 2x8's, however they had too much give when I got out in the middle of them. So I also bought a pair of 7' 2x4's to stiffen them up, and a 2' x 8' piece of OSB as a surface on top to make it easier to walk over. All in, it was probably about $60 worth of materials total.

This is what I came out with, and its great, but its HEAVY:

rampconstruction.jpg

This is how I store it:

rampstorage.jpg

Then I also needed a better hand truck - my previous hand truck was only rated for 250-300 pounds, which worked fine for getting my old 50L up and down stairs, but just wouldn't cut it for the 500LB 150L dewar.

Here they are side by side:

handtrucks.jpg

The new hand truck cost me about $150, but was well worth it as it handles the weight pretty well, and it has another pair of wheels that lock into place and support the weight vertically - this makes it much easier to control the dewar on the ramp.

Here's the truck with the wheels locked into place:

handtruckweightassist.jpg

Here's the ramp on the truck:

ramploadedback.jpg

Here's another shot of the ramp, to give you an idea of the decline with an 8ft ramp. I park truck with the rear wheels at the lowest point in the drive to minimize the decline:

ramploaded.jpg

Here's the locking pins, which keep the ramps from slipping off the tailgate while I'm walking down it. I drilled 4 holes in my tailgate, I only use 2, and I had to remove the tailgate liner or otherwise it was near impossible to get the pins in:

ramp-lockingpins.jpg

Here's how I transport the dewar. Just 2 straps hooked onto the storage box... They are really tight, and hold well. I've had the dewar tip once against the side rail of the bed when the straps weren't tight enough and I was going too fast on the entrance ramp to the highway - I just pulled over, set it back upright, and tightened them up. I always tighten them now until I can see the eyelets on the storage box flex:

dewarstrappedx2.jpg

To unload, I strap the dewar onto the hand truck first, again very tightly. This hand truck is flat on the back which is less ideal for moving a cylinder but it holds fine as long as its strapped tightly.

handtruckstrapped.jpg

Then I just lower the legs, and give it a tip before going down the ramp:

handtruckloadedback.jpg

It also makes it easy to wheel around the garage:

handtruckunloaded.jpg

And right next to my benching table - its pretty cool having it right there, no tipping, and I fill directly off the spout into my thermos. Pretty convenient once its in place:

benchingtable.jpg

Thats it. :)

glrsldr.jpg

with the bumper like that i am supprised you didnt make a hiding ram like a uhaul to replace the iron oxide clump

maybe next project

It adds character, I kinda like it. :) I actually tore off the chunk in the center, it was dangling for a while.

well some day it'll fall completely off....trust me i have had it happen.
then maybe something awsome

Well done! I can't wait til I'm up there again to see it done in person. Do you bring it down with you above or below the dewar (do you go down the ramp first or second?) I would assume first?

Have you gotten around to re-attaching that license plate holder so that it won't fall off with one bad shake?

It adds character, I kinda like it. :) I actually tore off the chunk in the center, it was dangling for a while.

I was wondering, looking at the picture I thought "Damn, I think that bumper actually looks worse than it did before!"
It's a pretty glorious bumper.
I wonder what the average vehicle value is for the benching team? I suspect I have the low score for the people that have cars/trucks.

Pretty good looking setup IMOG! That handtruck looks intense, I approve.

Janus, I'd imagine the dewar goes first, that way if control is lost (Glorious Leader loosing control!? Never!) we don't end up with a flatter Glorious Leader.

That is correct - if something is going to bite the big one, hopefully it will be the dewar. Unless the tailgate or ramps fail, by staying above it I should be fairly safe - I just pull back on the dewar and take it pretty slow so it doesn't get any momentum.

The license plate holder needs attention. It's been neglected for a while.

Nice work. Now get a couple bikes for the back of that truck, good to go!

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to get that thing filled, empty to full? (If you don't mind sharing that is). That's huge...

EDIT: Just realized how old this thread was, sorry for ressurection...

Nice work. Now get a couple bikes for the back of that truck, good to go!

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to get that thing filled, empty to full? (If you don't mind sharing that is). That's huge...

EDIT: Just realized how old this thread was, sorry for ressurection...

IMOG pays $0.50/liter and it is a 150L dewar. So approximately $75

That looks soooooooooo unstable on the bed with it strapped so low... wow. Anyway, what an ordeal, but worth it Im sure. :)

id be nervous with those two tailgate cables holding that much weight! but i guess its working lol man 50c/l? lucky i got some prices on filling a 30l dewar and they said it would be like 60-80 bucks! needless to say im not dumping 300 bucks on a dewar anytime soon haha

That looks soooooooooo unstable on the bed with it strapped so low... wow. Anyway, what an ordeal, but worth it Im sure. :)

It tips left or right if not strapped really tight and I hit potholes on a curve going over 35mph. It has only done that once, on the entrance ramp to 77 where there's a rough patch in the road, I take that at 25 now and it hasn't been a problem since.

id be nervous with those two tailgate cables holding that much weight! but i guess its working lol man 50c/l? lucky i got some prices on filling a 30l dewar and they said it would be like 60-80 bucks! needless to say im not dumping 300 bucks on a dewar anytime soon haha

Got the dewar for about 150 or so, it was about 120 on eBay and there was a loading fee when picking it up. It was sold as a 100l but it is a 150l.

Airgas prices ln2 at 2-4 bucks by default (thats what pops up on their machine). It depends where you go if they will work on the price for you... If they do, keep the receipt and you are good from there. I said I would like to pay 50 cents and they said let me see if i can do that - they typed it in and it worked.

How much are tailgate cables rated for? With the dewar and myself on the edge, its about 700 pounds or so I would guess. People drive 4 wheelers and stuff up onto these things, so I don't think I'm pushing its limits.

I did find out that 1000lbs is the most I can haul without getting a fine. So pretty much, that means I can only haul one container at a time, otherwise if the cops want to stop me they can hold me up, pull off my canisters, and weigh them. With one canister, they have no grounds to pull me over.

I wish i could get a fill for that price !!!!! My 25L dewar will cost me £110 to fill :eek: thats $170, hence to say i have not filled it yet and still looking for a decent price, but as usual the UK is 5hi7 and everything costs a fortune:bang head

A 150L dewar for $150, and .50 a liter? Good lord that's a bargain...

Makes me want to start LN2 even though it would definitely punish my wallet o_O

Ya, the one time expenses are easily discounted. The LN2 is the big cost - I think last time I did the math I spent about $500 in the past year, just on the receipts I saved. Since then I've spent about $400 more.

Most people that have tried, have been able to get a match in other parts of the country. I have a thread here where I shared scans of my receipts, and others have printed those and used them to negotiate better prices.

I like the hand cart you got there Matt, those types are winners for stuff like that, I useto use one at work that was like that specificly for 55gallon drums.

I am planning on going the super lazy route and just putting a lift gate on my truck. To deal with big stuff, otherwise i use a hoist or a engine lift currently for big stuff i can't easily lift by hand.

Ya, its crazy the difference a good hand cart makes... Without bearing the vertical weight, its A LOT easier to handle the horizontal weight.

Back