• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Case-modding story to start the summer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

First off, thanks to Luie for this great idea of making a story out of modding (If you want me to make this into a normal thread, feel free to ***** at me over PM)

Well, summer was starting, and Mr. Snake wasn't happy at the temps his computer was giving him, not to mention the noise. Also, is power supply didn't fit, because of it's exhaust fan interfering with the case, forcing Mr. Snake to use a horrible, cheap and generic 420w power supply.

So Mr. Snake got busy thinking. Cutting the metal should help out a lot. But Mr. Snake didn't have the proper tools to cut with. He got an idea. Maybe the power of his crunchy, heavy riffs would help him.

http://www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/Stuff/meguitar.jpg

He passed on that idea. How bout his ninja-stealth skills?

http://www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/avatar.JPG

Naww, maybe not.

Mr. Snake was stumped. He didn't have anything to cut his aesthetically pleasing case to make it more performance pleasing.

But then, an opporotunity came. Mr. Snake's great, generous, wise and not-snobby rich uncle could help him. Mr. Snake went to his uncle's house one day with his father to see how his uncle's house remodelling was going on. Walk downstairs and, what's this?

HOLY CRAP, IT'S A DREMEL! NOT EVEN USED!!

So, Mr. Snake finally got the courage to ask his very generous uncle to borrow this tiny wonder of a tool. Mr. Snake's uncle, being the selfless person he is, let his nephew borrow the unused tool.

Time to get dirty :mad:

So first, Mr. Snake had to convince his computer in it's nice habitat to move out. He offered a nice cardboard box with great cooling as a trade for a day or two. The computer didn't listen. Well, guess what! Say bie-bie to your flashy case, *****!!

Now the computer was living in the corner of Cardboard Avenue and Box Street. Some pictures of his horrible home:

http://www.bostonrinkrats.com/solid...ics/Case Modding/hobo computer/In the Box.jpg
http://www.bostonrinkrats.com/solid...ics/Case Modding/hobo computer/Main parts.jpg
http://www.bostonrinkrats.com/solid... Modding/hobo computer/noflash main parts.jpg
http://www.bostonrinkrats.com/solid...Case Modding/hobo computer/noflash others.jpg

Mr. Snake let his beloved computer have it's powerful and manly car neon, as well as it's tank-like Fortron 530w Power Supply, with its sexy red LED fan and a cheap Yate Loon fan.

Time to go :santa: to Mr. Snake's computer habitat.

First, Mr. Snake got a pack of #426 Fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels, as well as a goggle, respirator and earplug kit from the local Home Depot. Now, gotta learn to cut with a Dremel MultiPro variable speed rotary tool. Okay, make a plan. Cut each section of the 'cheese-grater' openings first, and then cut the solid metal. Simple.

Mr. Snake had much fun cutting with his newly accquired Dremel. He cut away 'till 9:00PM, making high pitched noises and sending out deadly sparks all over his cutting area (carpets on a cement garage floor... wtf mate?) Had his best friend (who happens to be Mr. Snake's neighbor) over, and they had some fun cutting away. Not much work was done.

Mr. Snake had some self-taught lessons (hey, he could teach himself to play guitar, why not teach himself on how to cut some aluminum?). Okay, set the Dremel to around 5-6 speeds, 10 sounds way the hell to scary (though it should be used). Cut slowly. Go over the same spot a few times, and then move on to the next spot. Then make a basic layout, and then start cutting at the first spot again. Get a hole goin', and then cut around the layout from there. Don't hold the Dremel on the spot for too long, only let it slow down for a second or four, and then let it spin up to full speed again. Don't press down too hard on the metal, but don't let the tool go whichever way it pleases. Abuse your tool to go the way YOU (the man, or the occasional woman) desire!

The next day, Mr. Snake invited his other friend over (who's father happens to be a construction worker). They had a hell of a time cuttin' away at some aluminum. Some pictures of their fun:

Mr. Snake havin' some fun.
a closeup on Mr. Snake's fun.
Mr. Snake's friend tryin' to be as ninja as Mr. Snake himself.

Mr. Snake just checked out his wheels. After the second hole was cut, he noticed the superior aluminum's effect on a cutting wheel:

Uh-oh

The far left is a perfectly untouched cutting wheel, the middle one was the wheel Mr. Snake was using for the third and fourth front grills, and the far right wheel was the wheel Mr. Snake used for the first two grills he cut.

Now, Mr. Snake went on for another 2 and a half hours. Cut, cut and, of course, cut! Also, Mr. Snake remembered why he was stuck using his 420w cheap child-slave labor generic power supply. The exhaust fan of his 530w quality power supply would interfere with his case!

Some finished shots of Mr. Snake's ghetto-fabulous and 'gangsta' case:

Front Grills
Rear Grills
Attempt at fixing the Power Supply dillema

After the cutting, Mr. Snake attempted at grinding down the edges with an Aluminum Oxide grinding bit. Worked okay, and was good enough for him.

Finally, three days after living in a cardboard box, Mr. Snake let his computer move back into its beloved habitat. Some pictures of the happy computer after moved in:

the front of Mr. Snake's cased computer after cutting
the front of Mr. Snake's cased computer after cutting, without the flash
the rear of Mr. Snake's computer after cutting

The computer and its Air-Conditioning system even seemed more happier.

The flashy air-conditioning even glowed brighter than before! More happier at work, I suppose

So, in conclusion, Mr. Snake and his computer lived happily ever after. Mr. Snake used 3 fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels in his cutting spree. It seems when Mr. Snake took the picture of the butt of the computer, he had already repaired his Fortron 530w Power Supply. It didn't work until he recieved the Zalman 80X15mm case fan. The other Yate-Loon fan did not fit in the case, as it blocked the PSU from going all the way back. It interfered with a few screw holes.

In all seriousnessessessnessity, I cut the crap outta my Raidmax Scorpio-868 Mid Tower Case. I crapped up on the last front grill I cut. It didn't have cheese-grater openings all the way, so I kinda missed the circle shape by a bit. I cut in this order in the front: Bottom left, top left, bottom right and top left. I hosed down my case after cutting, then left it inside for a day. The next day, I made sure to blow-dry the case to remove any more metal filings. Then I finally put it together the same night with the crappy 420w raidmax. the fortron's fan didn't fit at the time, so I waited patiently for the zalman fan to arrive. Surprised the hell outta me after 2 days. He didn't even tell me he shipped it. I thought that my money didn't arrive, or he just scammed me. Turns out he shipped without even telling me.

Me: hey, thx for the offer, i'll send payment whenever.
Him: Okay, cool
Me: SENT PAYMENT!!
*10 minutes later*
Me: Hello, you there??
me: WTF RESPOND!! OMG YOU AR3 T3H Haxx00rRZ SCAmmZ00rZ!!

2 days later

Me: HOLY CRAP it came. When did he ship it??
Him: Surprise, surprise ;)

anyway, Everything is back together now. I removed the mesh covering my side-panel fan. Also, removed the PC Speaker from my case (The wires ripped a while ago, it was just sittin there takin space). My current fan setup is the rear two fans are blowing in, the side fan is blowing in, the front 3 fans are blowing in. No exhaust :D... So my PSU is the only 'exhaust' Running 44°C CPU and 44°C Case, reported from ASUSProbe, Loaded with dual F@H for a good 7-8 hours. If I put my hand anywhere there is a small crack in my case, I don't feel warm air. I feel a rush of air, but its not cold or warm. And its a HOT day out today...

This is Mr. Snake sayin':

Have a great summer Overclockers Community! If it ain't broke, make sure to break it!

~PEACE OUTSIDE~

Last edited:
Heh very nice! Although I couldnt see any of the pictures since theyre so huge and, as you see from my sig, I'm on 56k, actually.. 40k right now :(

jjv687 said:
Heh very nice! Although I couldnt see any of the pictures since theyre so huge and, as you see from my sig, I'm on 56k, actually.. 40k right now :(

you're missing out on the whole thing ;)

I'm on DSL now and I was able to see all the pics. Very Nice!
"Those are some pretty nasty looking cuts ya got there"
I think that theyre really nice for a first time dremeler, just needs to sand them up.

jjv687 said:
I'm on DSL now and I was able to see all the pics. Very Nice!
"Those are some pretty nasty looking cuts ya got there"
I think that theyre really nice for a first time dremeler, just needs to sand them up.

yeah, I gotta find my half-round file. I was stuck using the aluminum-oxide bit, which only smoothed the feeling of the edges. The edges look rough, but I can move my finger over it all VERY fast, and not get cut. they are smooth, but very wavy.

btw, Since it hasn't gotten any views in the sticky section, I got a question.

I was usin my dremel to cut... after a while of cutting, i was about to cut a little of the last grill. I was half-way through, and then the dremel sped up to FULL SPEED, I was at speed 5 out of 10... and then I turned it off. turned it back on, went back full speed. Overheating mechanism? Every time, if I just let it cool down for a few minutes it would start fine again

Flip-Mode said:
I have a cheap imitation and it never happened to me, I think its not safe though....

hmm, not sure. Hasn't done that to me again. It was a hot day out, and I was using it for a few hours straight... I remember it burning to the touch, and then after it cooled down for around 5-6 minutes, it would work normal again...

thx dude. thx a ton for letting me use your basis (without asking, of course :p)

haha, I still find your VGA card mod story a classic.

again many thx...

no1 knows why my dremel was speedin up all the way??

maybe metal shavings in the rheo??

SolidxSnake said:
thx dude. thx a ton for letting me use your basis (without asking, of course :p)

haha, I still find your VGA card mod story a classic.

You're welcome. :-D

LOL. Thanks.

SolidxSnake said:
again many thx...

no1 knows why my dremel was speedin up all the way??

maybe metal shavings in the rheo??

I think your theory of it overheating is possible. Expecially if you were going several hours straight... In a perfect world, you should take like a 5 minute break every half hour. Let your tool cool off, and also good for yourself too. Something along the lines of holding onto a vibrating tool is NOT good for some part of the nervous system. I have personally experianced a numb sensation after working for a while with tools.

But the full rpm is probably to let the fans try to cool off the motor as much as they can. If you are into cars, it's like rockcrawling, and needing extra fans because the truck is moving too slowly to have air pass over the radiator.

Back