• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple of Gentoo questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well dangit... after I get to the step of chrooting into the new environment-
Code:
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
# source /etc/profile
# export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

Should I just be sitting at a prompt that looks like:
Code:
>
with a flashing cursor next to it?

skip the line about export PS1...

It's useless really and just modifies the prompt you receive slightly. I think the quotes are confusing it... that > usually means it's awaiting more input.

I just got to the point of emerging gentoo-sources, and I'm working on the kernel compiling section. However, I just noticed that the prompt still says livecd even after chrooting earlier on. I haven't been told to reboot yet, so I assume I'm still doing ok, right?

argh. Ok, I've made it all the way through the handbook to the point of unmounting everything and rebooting into the new system. Now, it seems like it ignored me when I changed the root password during setup, and also when I created a user account for myself. It just tells me Login incorrect, and leaves me back at the login prompt.

I think dhcpcd failed also, but that's less important at the moment.

Boot up with the livecd, chroot, env-update, source /etc/profile, then use the passwd command as root to set the root passwd, and then unmount everything and restart.

Jeez... I have a headache just trying to read the thread...

Is there a reason why I should move from Ubuntu to Gentoo? Whats the highlight of gentoo?

-D

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash tells me no such file or directory. mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc [the step right before that] says the mount point does not exist. Just fir kicks, I did ls in /mnt/gentoo, and I don't even have the tarball or the portage snapshot in there anymore. Please tell me I'm missing an easy step and I don't have to start from scratch again...

Jeez... I have a headache just trying to read the thread...

Is there a reason why I should move from Ubuntu to Gentoo? Whats the highlight of gentoo?

-D

I'm interested in it because it's forcing me to learn something, rather than just sort of winging my way through the install. I've installed Debian from a minimal cd before, and even that didn't really require much work IMO. I know for sure I didn't have an entire thread devoted to getting it going :)

Sounds like after you rebooted, you didn't mount your hard drive to /mnt/gentoo, and right now it's an empty directory (your hard drive is totally unmounted I believe).

Ok, I have to mount both partitions and re-enable the swap before I do the chroot then, right? Also, do I mount /dev/hda1 [/boot] to /mnt/gentoo also, or only /dev/hda3?

The below should get you going.

Code:
cd /mnt/gentoo

wget http://tinyurl.com/5k8lvy

tar xjpf stage3*

Ok, I have to mount both partitions and re-enable the swap before I do the chroot then, right? Also, do I mount /dev/hda1 [/boot] to /mnt/gentoo also, or only /dev/hda3?

it would be
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
swapon /dev/hda2

though unless you are going to re-compile your kernel not really a need to mount boot if all you need to do is change your password.

Ok, I'm not sure how I did it, but I'm logged into the new system now. I'm going to keep plugging along with the handbook and see where I get. Thanks to everyone for the help so far!

*crosses fingers, then uncrosses them to keep typing*

You mount the root partition (/) first to /mnt/gentoo. Then you mount the things that are off the root, like /boot if it's on a separate partition, to /mnt/gentoo/boot (or whatever the appropriate mount point is). You have to mount /mnt/gentoo first before you mount things that are off it, because the mount point won't exist until you mount /mnt/gentoo.

I did better than I figured I would have so far. I've gotten kde 3.5 installed using the kdebase-startkde package for minimality, and after figuring out that it didn't grab xorg as a dependency I got that :) Anyhoo, everything is working as far as getting it started and running minus the sound. I'll have to come back with the exact error later, but basically it says that it couldn't start /dev/dsp and would continue with null device. Now, I'm pretty sure it's because there wasn't a close enough option when I was doing the kernel setup, but I'm not sure where to go to look for the right driver. I know it's the ALi M5451, I just need to be pointed in the right direction to find it. After I get that setup, is that something that would be better compiled into the kernel, or ok to just be loaded later as a module?

The second thing I ran into is starting kde for my user as opposed to root- I can't figure out how, since only root wants to run kdm. Does kde/kdm have a group that I need to add my user to, or is it a different setting for that? I also noticed when I start kdm as root [using startx], I don't get any login screen, it just boots right to the desktop. Maybe that has something to do with it?

That's because you are already logged in. KDM should come up before you ever log in as anything. I don't use KDM so I don't know the details of it, but you have to do an rc-update add <somethingorother> default. GDM requries that you add xdm to the init scripts (not gdm), and then you edit a file to tell it to use gdm instead of XDM. KDM may also work off XDM, or it may not, I really don't know, but I'm sure it's in the Gentoo KDE guide.

Yeah, you're right about that- I edited the file to tell xdm to default to kdm. I haven't edited the file that causes kdm to autostart yet because I wanted to make sure everything was going to work right before I automated it. Now that I know it is, I'll go ahead and make it automatic and then reboot and see if it it will let my user login. Would be nice if it was that easy!

I also am pretty sure I found out the solution for audio. It appears that it was an option in the kernel config, and I just missed it by not expanding a section that I didn't think applied to me, hehe.

Back