• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A drive by post . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Farwalker2u

I dropped out of folding a few years ago. I have dropped by to see what the neighborhood is like now.
Are Nvidia GPUs still more powerful at generating points than AMD GPUs?

At one time I was chasing the top 10 of Team 32!

Nvidia is still better, or at least more efficient, but I guess that other team members can tell you more about it.

I was always folding with breaks, adding some points here and there. Now I have much stronger hardware which is not doing anything most of the time, and it could fold 24/7, but with current electricity prices, I just can't afford that. Our government (read in Poland) also made an electricity usage limit, and anything above will cause the bill to be much higher. It should be against the law, but well, our current government has been doing worse things that are against the law (and changed the law, so it was legal) in the last years, what with many other things on the list, caused 20%+ inflation.

Hey neighbor. :welcome:back. Fire up what you have that can fold and let it supplement the heat. It's going to be in the 20's in my part of Ga tomorrow morning.
I'm getting 3-4 million ppd with a RX 6800 XT, but the 3000 & 4000 gen nvidia are doing much better. You can still move up the rankings with nvidia 900 to 2000 series cards too.

@Farwalker2u

Yes. Nvidia is the most productive way to fold but I also use CPU power to eek out whatever I can. I gotta try to keep these kids in line. ;)

Folding is still strong here at overclockers.com and with the influx of Holdolin, he and HayesK have been boosting our team status to great heights. In fact, our top 5 are really doing some great work. We are still helping to cure cancer, alzheimer's and COVID was added a while back. As noted, several team members are able to harness heat from folding rigs to keep warm. I too heat an entire room of my house by folding.

Feel free to jump back in. Folding loves company. Whatever you have to throw at it is great. Our motto is something like: It's not how much you Fold but *if* you Fold and if you Fold then you're my friend. It just rolls of the tongue. We have weekly updates on most Friday mornings highlighting the team and the individuals within team 32.

I started Folding again on my AMD 7900 XTX. It seems to be doing a bit less than 1 million PPD. That is weak compared to the latest generation (40XX) of the nvidia GPUs. I think even a 3080 would do much better (which is what I replaced with this AMD 7900 XTX).

Last edited:
I started Folding again on my AMD 7900 XTX. It seems to be doing a bit less than 1 million PPD. That is weak compared to the latest generation (40XX) of the nvidia GPUs. I think even a 3080 would do much better (which is what I replaced with this AMD 7900 XTX).
Yeah the 3080 does 5 to 7 million.

I remember when . . . . .
No one had a billion total points.

Anyway . . . I may have to stick that 3080 into my 2nd computer. Hmmmmm . . . .

@Farwalker2u

Yes. Nvidia is the most productive way to fold but I also use CPU power to eek out whatever I can. I gotta try to keep these kids in line. ;)

Folding is still strong here at overclockers.com and with the influx of Holdolin, he and HayesK have been boosting our team status to great heights. In fact, our top 5 are really doing some great work. We are still helping to cure cancer, alzheimer's and COVID was added a while back. As noted, several team members are able to harness heat from folding rigs to keep warm. I too heat an entire room of my house by folding.

Feel free to jump back in. Folding loves company. Whatever you have to throw at it is great. Our motto is something like: It's not how much you Fold but *if* you Fold and if you Fold then you're my friend. It just rolls of the tongue. We have weekly updates on most Friday mornings highlighting the team and the individuals within team 32.
Ahem forgetting someone? I may not have the $$$ or a power station to host a GPU farm like Hayes but I'm up there :rofl:

AMD needs to do a driver update for the 7000 series & F@H. They fixed the problem with the 5000/6000 series a few months ago.

I fired up my RTX 3080 on a Windows 10 computer last night. The advanced FAHControl is predicting 1,100,000 PPD. That seems low. Are there some configuration settings I need to set?
Reading AMD RX 7900 XT F@H Stats by Johan45 Jan 10, 2023 . . . . A link indicates that the RX 9700XT / XTX have a range of between 3.5 million PPD up to 7 million PPD. I have been getting abit over 1 million PPD on my 7900 XTX.

Also, the page to get a pass key has been blank for me.

Attachments

• FAH 7900 xtx 1c.jpg
    FAH 7900 xtx 1c.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just clicked the pass key link on my iPad & it worked for me. Maybe try clearing cache/cookies on your browser.

I don’t fold on my CPUs anymore. It seems to limit the GPU’s production.

Is resizeable bar enabled in bios?

Last edited:

JLK03F150 thanks for the post.

I had been trying to get a passkey using Firefox. So I tried MS Edge and was successful.
Just entering the passkey kicked up the predicted PPD on both the 7900 XTX and the 3080 substantially. The 7900 XTX went from a bit over 1 mill PPD to 3.8 mill PPD; and the 3080 went from a bit over 1 mill PPD to 6.5 mill PPD.

So, combined a bit over 2 mill PPD to about 10 mill PPD combined! NICE!

I will know more in about 24 hours. Thanks.
Who knows, maybe I can join the top ten producers.

Edit (2:10 P.M.) Just got a new PRCG 18213 (16839, 1, 5) on my 7900 XTX . . . . . the new prediction for PPD is 8.3 mill (if I remember correctly from 2015, these predictions are often wrong)!

Last edited:

JLK03F150 thanks for the post.

I had been trying to get a passkey using Firefox. So I tried MS Edge and was successful.
Just entering the passkey kicked up the predicted PPD on both the 7900 XTX and the 3080 substantially. The 7900 XTX went from a bit over 1 mill PPD to 3.8 mill PPD; and the 3080 went from a bit over 1 mill PPD to 6.5 mill PPD.

So, combined a bit over 2 mill PPD to about 10 mill PPD combined! NICE!

I will know more in about 24 hours. Thanks.
Who knows, maybe I can join the top ten producers.
I use FireFox and the link works for me but then I never used that for my passkey, I just picked mine, with 128bits it would be unlikely anyone would ever pick it in a million years :)

I got my passkey in 2009, back then they emialed it too you. I guess times have changed hehe. While I do keep mine secure, if somebody had such a burning desire to fold under my name...

I noticed that there is a Decennial thing (badge?) under my avatar. Might I qualify for the vicennial badge on March 1, 2023, which is coming up fast.

Looks like my first full day of folding (after entering my passkey) might hit 16,000,000 PPD. :clap:
Oh the thrill of catching and passing people on the team list.

Last edited:
I noticed that there is a Decennial thing (badge?) under my avatar. Might I qualify for the vicennial badge on March 1, 2023, which is coming up fast.

Looks like my first full day of folding (after entering my passkey) might hit 16,000,000 PPD. :clap:
Oh the thrill of catching and passing people on the team list.
Go getem tiger :thup:

Back