• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a few Q's about Galaxy S3's for ATT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I gave up my "coveted" $25/mo virgin mobile plan to get a pair of phones for my wife and i that actually work when i need to make a phone call.
Reasoning for ATT is because i get 22% off ofour bill because of where we work aswell as the before pre work discount they were the same price as the others.

any way i have only had it a few days and there are some things that really bug the crap out of me. minor things but they are always there.

i think it mainly comes down to samsung replacing stock android apps (contacts, calender, SMS ect) with versions of their own that are lacking in features or are straight up stripped down husks of what was once there. PLus all the extra pre loaded crap.

some of my problems involve, Not being able to send Animated Gifs in MMS's, a feature my $100 pre paid phone did fine on with the stock app. The fact that it handles any picture like a video and "plays them back" when i select it, kind of an archaic way of doing things. The inability to set specific ringtones to any thing other than an incomming call with custom tones....because the ones on the phone suck ***, seriously no generic phone ringing ring tone they are all music or annoying. Contacts and Contact storage and how un organized it is as well as 4 different services trying to back them up and then restoring them all of which do it in a different manner so there are 3 of the same number for each entry because one uses ( ) and one uses - but the other uses nothing but numbers. the background on the S3, common one i dont need to say any more.

and finally, how i am unable to change my text screen to something other than what an iphone would normally look like with the speech bubbles.

i know these are all stupid little reasons but if i am going to be using the phone for 2 years then i might as well get it like i want it or atleast try so if i cant get it that way i can take it back under the satisfaction return policy.

sure sure i am going to get hit with "well you could get this app to do this...." but i shouldnt have to as well as i dont want to use an app thats going to give other people more money from ad revenue as well as track my habbits and run my datausage up with said ads.

so i imagine a root is involved but before i went and tried it i thought i would ask....

If i want to root and reflash with a google play edition rom whats the best way of going about it?

thats pretty much all i am willing to try since i have tried cyanmod and other big ones on my other phones to not much better results, i figure google play editions are going to be the closest to straight up factory android with out manufacturer BS in the way. as always i'll make a back up of my current config and save the factory restore rom aswell.

any thoughts?

once again galaxy s3 on at&t

There isn't a google play edition Rom for that phone, though there is one for the s4. There are many close to clean android roms available. I was quite fond of cyanogen when I ran a custom Rom. If you want to drop the money for it, the nexus 4 has great specs and clean android for 250$ right now though it looks like they are clearing them out for new models.

Back