• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good and cheap cooler for 4770K overcloking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brigapes

Registered
Hi,
i know this is an overclocking site, so i bet a lot of people know what a good cooler means, but i dont. So i need some help to chose a good cooler by a fair price.
The price at top must be like 120$
well there isnt a minimal limit ;)
I currently have a i7 4770K on Maximus VI Hero, and i intend to overclock it - when i get a decent cooler instead of a stock one.

Thanks for help in advance.

If I were you, I'd spend $50-60 on a good air cooler and the rest of the budget on a better case (if you still have the "old gaming case" from your sig).

Case airflow combined with a Hyper 212 or similar would give better cooling than a high-end Noctua or All-in-One Water Cooler in a case with crap airflow.

Here's my personal suggestion:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $117.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-15 12:10 EST-0500)

But that's a whole lot of personal preference and personal experience. :thup:

Just a sidenote:
all those US sites mean nothing to me since i cant buy from them, i live in EU, and shiping costs way too much. If i was to buy a 2000$ rig from us siite, i would maybe get it along with 400$ shiping.
But anyway, i have a manually installed 12cm(x axis) fan on front and keeps it cool.
So airflow isnt THAT MUCH of a problem, decent cooling is. I dont want a CPU cooler who completely relays on airflow.
But i do realize that good airflow is essential.
A watercooling is OK too, for which i would not need a good airflow.

Noctua D14 would have been the last resort for its price.
Just as a question, is Corsair H55 any good? Or Noctua U9DX?

I have a Corsair H60 and it cools my FX-8320 decently, though the higher-end Corsair coolers are much better.

If I were you, I'd spend $50-60 on a good air cooler and the rest of the budget on a better case (if you still have the "old gaming case" from your sig).

Exactly what I would've said but you beat me to it. :thup:

i have a manually installed 12cm(x axis) fan on front and keeps it cool.
So airflow isnt THAT MUCH of a problem, decent cooling is. I dont want a CPU cooler who completely relays on airflow.
But i do realize that good airflow is essential.
A watercooling is OK too, for which i would not need a good airflow.

I think its safe to say good air flow does matter, especially when OCing.

You haven't told us what OCing range you're looking for. 4.0, 4.4, 4.6+? I am going to assume the most you can get.

www.sestavi.si
www.mimovrste.com

Those are the sites with computer components.
The top one is the currently best one for me, and you can easly use google to translate the site...

Now is your budget in USD or euro? I know you used the dollar sign but wanted to make sure.

Also give us a few pictures of your existing old case. A shot from the front and the side with the panel open would be nice.

Last edited:
I think its safe to say good air flow does matter, especially when OCing.
I am currently not worried about that. Also i currently get with stock fan and stock frequency, 55C when gaming. But the temps are wild and they do raise quuickly and drop quickly.
You haven't told us what OCing range you're looking for. 4.0, 4.4, 4.6+? I am going to assume the most you can get.
Depending on the cooling, i would like to get good temperatures even without the airflow, like without case fans.

Now is your budget in USD or euro? I know you used the dollar sign but wanted to make sure.
Yeah it's in €€, bu i used a $ signbecause i know allot of you are used to it, but converting is not that much of a trouble to me.
Also give us a few pictures of your existing old case. A shot from the front and the side with the panel open would be nice.
Sorry for asking but how do i upload a picture?
Do i have to use one of hose sites where you upload it?

Case airflow combined with a Hyper 212 or similar would give better cooling than a high-end Noctua or All-in-One Water Cooler in a case with crap airflow.

Here's my personal suggestion:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $117.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-15 12:10 EST-0500)

But that's a whole lot of personal preference and personal experience. :thup:
+1 for the opening statement...

@ bigrapes, you need good case airflow to have good cooling. There is no getting around that unless you plan on breaking the laws of physics and thermosdynamics... If you are looking for midrange clocks, the hyper 212 evo mentioned earlier will be fine to 4.4ghz depending on case airflow and the cpu. If you want to go bigger than that, first you need a decent cpu, second, that noctua us the best air cooler around (nhd14).

As far as uploading a picture, here is a reminder.. OCFinsertimages.png

Last edited:
Hasn't the downward airflow of the D14 proved to lower socket tempts, and actually cool the motherboard slightly, so voltages can be more stable?

Hasn't the downward airflow of the D14 proved to lower socket tempts, and actually cool the motherboard slightly, so voltages can be more stable?

We must be talking about different coolers. The top end noctua does not blow down on the mobo, it is just like the evo.

Ahh.. yeah, I mentioned d14 earlier... Wasn't sure what cooler was blowing down, or how good it is. Seeing as how keeping socket temps cool only applies to amd octo cores really, this is about cooling an Intel cpu, and no mention of the f14 that I caught, I am(was) really confused!

Back