• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a little help on FX 4100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElmoElbadry

Registered
Hello, i had a thread here earlier about cooling my PC but i think im buying new fans anyways... "intake fans"

Ok my computer specs will be on my signature i need a step by step how to Overclock "In a safe way i don't need to go too far"

Want to overclock "CPU, GPU, RAM" if possible.

The problem every guide i read it keep saying increase vcore, voltages "I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I SHOULD INCREASE IT TO" that's the only problem i have...

VLSVoHN.png

CPU-Z report in attachments
View attachment DESKTOP-FO60TAU.txt

Last edited:
Voltage will depend on your CPU temp at 100% load.
Based on your pic, your voltage is already boosting to 1.46v under load and your temp is in the 50c range.
Personally, I wouldn't add any more voltage than that. You are already at your cap thermal wise.

Voltage will depend on your CPU temp at 100% load.
Based on your pic, your voltage is already boosting to 1.46v under load and your temp is in the 50c range.
Personally, I wouldn't add any more voltage than that. You are already at your cap thermal wise.

okay so that's the vcore do u know anything else about the other voltages? like....

DRAM Voltage, CPU NB Voltage, NB Voltage? should i also disable coold and quiet and the amd turbo core?

No point in adjusting CPU/NB voltage or NB voltage because you're not overclocking the bus. CPU/NB voltage will just make your CPU hotter anyway.
No point in adjusting the Dram voltage either. Same reason, you're not overclocking the ram. Not worth overclocking ram for your application anyway. You would only see a small difference and only in benchmarks.
Turbo core I would disable.
C&Q is up to you. I usually disable all of the 'green' features.
C&Q might actually be beneficial to you being in the location that you are.

No point in adjusting CPU/NB voltage or NB voltage because you're not overclocking the bus. CPU/NB voltage will just make your CPU hotter anyway.
No point in adjusting the Dram voltage either. Same reason, you're not overclocking the ram. Not worth overclocking ram for your application anyway. You would only see a small difference and only in benchmarks.
Turbo core I would disable.
C&Q is up to you. I usually disable all of the 'green' features.
C&Q might actually be beneficial to you being in the location that you are.

I mostly play games like league of legends or do some 3D work rendering "3D Artist" so overclocking the ram won't help that much?

posting again after upgrading my CPU Voltage

570ozFA.png

Should i increase the voltage more to get to 4.00 GHz stable?

Edit used prime on those settings max temp was 54 c

however i think the core speed aren't stable and it barely goes to 4.00 GHz

Last edited:
Not with temps like that.
You will not reach 4 gig stable without better cooling.

Ok so now my CPU is cooled down 25-30 C idle and 50 c while running Prime95....

However the CPU is keep throttling while gaming which causes a huge FPs drop is there anyway to run cpu at max clock without throttling while gaming?

Try fans on the vrm and back of the socket...its may be your vrm getting too hot kr not being able to handle it.

Did you get fans for your case already?

Edit: your load temps(what matters) havent went down since the first post... you need to get those lower too...

Try gaming with the side panel off the case. This will tell you quite quickly if it's a ventilation problem with the case or hardware over heating. If you can game with the side door off then you know you need better airflow through the case.

I did get 1 new intake fan on the side of the case sadly my case doesn't have a top rear place for a fan and also a front rear fan

What case do you have?

Really, it didn't help a lot it seems... try what Johan said about taking the side off. Looks like you may want a new CPU cooler and case to continue to overclock.

If you're temps are higher when gaming than when running Prime95 then that is a pretty good indication that poor case ventilation is the culprit. The GPU is making most of that heat when gaming and the hot air is being trapped.

You may have maxed out what that mobo is going to give you. Some extra VRM cooling won't hurt, but pound for pound, FX chips will pull some juice above and beyond what the Intels will. The octo core FX chips get all the press on mobo power, but they all draw a lot relative to their application. For big clocks you need big cooling, and big current, which requires big cooling of the VRMs and eventually the socket. AMD was the Golden Child of "easy OC" for a long time, but the Socket AM3+ series turned it in to a system approach, instead of just "draw a pencil line across these two points on the chip and rule the universe".

I know it was never that easy, but FX was a whole 'nother animal. I love 'em. I had a hex core that was loads of fun, even though it peaked at 4400 MHz, and it's still getting a RX 480 for 1080p gaming that should keep my young 'un happy for a while yet. :D

As a disclaimer, MSI would never be my first choice for OC an FX chip.

Back