• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little Pissed at Newegg.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FX4

They send me a promotion Monday night at 5:00 PM offering thanks and a 72hour sale. I look it over and I think I could use a few more sticks of RAM but I'm waiting for my CPU cooler to show up and make certain that it does not get in the way of my RAM slots. I install it last night and all is well. This morning I go to order the RAM and the coupon code is no longer valid. I'm thinking no big deal I'll just contact them and they should honor it. 72 hours has not passed. I contact them this afternoon and get told no we will not honor it it expired at midnight. I say but midnight was not 72 hours. They say there should be a disclaimer on the coupon. I look it over top to bottom and no disclaimer. They won't budge. I like Newegg but this is kind of pissing me off. It should have read 48 hours and I would have jumped on it last night. Misleading IMO. I'm kind of pissed. Don't offer a promotion you don't intend to honor.

There is no disclaimer at all on the coupon I have. I read it from top to bottom. Even the small print. It's just 10% off but it's a point that they are not honoring a coupon they sent.

Like I said, I generally like Newegg and have ordered a lot from them over the years but this is leaving me a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It's a customer service no brainer in my opinion. Here's a 10% coupon for your trouble, thank you for your business.

Yes it does I just found the disclaimer buried in the item description print. DOE. Still lame.

They pissed me off with their coupons too. As in sending me some that I could have used just a few hours beforehand on a new purchase for a product that I had ordered over 2 weeks earlier. It was like a slap in the face. But, oh well.

Instead of saying "while funds last", since they obviously know how much money they're allowing to be discounted in total, they ought to use their ginormous database of past sales to figure out average order amounts on that discounted product, and divide the total funds by that, and then say "10% of for the next 2500 orders" or something.

They pissed me off with their coupons too. As in sending me some that I could have used just a few hours beforehand on a new purchase for a product that I had ordered over 2 weeks earlier. It was like a slap in the face. But, oh well.

For situations like that I would imagine they would have honored it especially if it was the same day if you would have called

Instead of saying "while funds last", since they obviously know how much money they're allowing to be discounted in total, they ought to use their ginormous database of past sales to figure out average order amounts on that discounted product, and divide the total funds by that, and then say "10% of for the next 2500 orders" or something.

But, since we don't have a counter of how many orders a product receive, it'd be the same effect. A complete shot in the dark on how long the coupon will be good for.

For situations like that I would imagine they would have honored it especially if it was the same day if you would have called

I didn't call but I emailed them. They only reiterated the date which the coupon expired and told me to have a good day. :shrug: Meh, it would have only saved me $10 anyway.

But, since we don't have a counter of how many orders a product receive, it'd be the same effect. A complete shot in the dark on how long the coupon will be good for.

You'll never have any idea unless they allocate unlimited funds. I'm just suggesting a "harder" number, that provides more incentive to buy early, and easier to say "sorry, you were too slow" than ending a 72-hour period 36 hours early. At best, if they must end it early because somebody makes a huge order where 10% off ends up being $5000, they can do so without angering anybody, since nobody knows how many other people have ordered, yet everybody can easily tell when 72 hours isn't really 72 hours.

I generally don't email companies when it comes to stuff like this.

I call them up and use my super sexy sugar daddy voice and usually get my way.

TL;DR
Call don't email

"while funds last" usually means the manufacturer has allocated $xxx for marketing reasons to promote the sale of product. Once the market allocation is gone, sale over. It is usually pretty widespread money, i.e., across a large base of distributors, sometimes it's distributor specific. NewEgg obviously doesn't disclose which scenario is in play. But certainly it says the continuation of RAM oversupply is still in effect and the manufacturers are needing to dump product. Depending on the manufacturer it could also indicate a change in tooling for releasing new product, stock dividend season, pending merger or acquisition, even a slap at a competitor. Motives. Who knows?

Well I still think the promotion should not say "72 hours" when they don't mean 72 hours. In my case it was 55 hours. I'm fine with that but don't tell me 72 hours when you don't mean 72 hours or you send me the email 17 hours into the promotion. I'm still annoyed by it. The disclaimer is kind of BS when the big bold stuff says 72 hours only.

TL;DR
Call don't email

This frightens me. Especially if it works with male employees.

TL;DR
Call don't email

+1. Half of the complaints in the vendor forum are from people who rely 100% on emails.

Then again, many in society also rely as much on texting versus phone calls. :rolleyes:

I've gotten those sale ads in my email as well. They can be very misleading. Seems once you click the ad photo and it takes you to the real sale page, then there's more fine print. Also, don't assume just because it's a 'sale' ad that their prices are the best. Not sure what's wrong with Newegg anymore but they're not the low price king they once were. It used to be a no brainer, now it's a crap shoot.

Case in point (no pun intended) I was surfing through their pc cases. They have a CoolerMaster Haf932 listed for $144.99 ($124.99 w/rebate) and free shipping. Same page they list the Haf932 for $169.99, no rebate, $9.99 shipping. Granted one is red leds, one is blue - but they're identical, same number of fans etc. What gives? Seriously, it costs $45 for blue leds? Apparently the blue lights weigh more as well, hence the $10 shipping. They also have the Antec Eleven Hundred case for $119.99 + free shipping. Yet if you head to Amazon, they sell the Eleven Hundred for $109.10 + free shipping (through Amazon, not an affiliate store). So much for the low price 'go to' solution, back to cut throat price shopping.

I too have been unimpressed with newegg's changing policies over the past few years. I've been ordering through them for about 9 years now and have seen a few changes that irritate the hell out of me. I was really disappointed when they went from using FedEx to UPS. I liked FedEx a lot more and a lot of UPS packages seemed to be tossed around before I received them. I RMA'd a CPU a few years back because it arrived DOA and they sent it back to me with a bent pin. Oh, I was furious because I know the pin wasn't bent when I sent it to them. Now, you used to be able to buy something only to have it go on sale a couple days later and you could call and get your account refunded the difference which seems to be a thing of the past. In the past year, they are now shipping using DHL? Takes forever through them. I now shop around a lot more when buying parts and I used to use newegg exclusively. I used to love newegg but now the are kinda meh, in my opinion.

Back