• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a new rig - help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fcz

Hello,

My current system:
-Q8300@3gHz
-Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
-2x2GB DDR400 Kingston
-GTX460 1GB OC

I want to start building a new PC (I'll stick with this GPU for a couple of months until I save more money), so I decided to buy i5 3570k. I'll get 8GB of DDR, but I can't decide on the motherboard. I am on a REALLY tight budget, so I have a few choices:

-ASRock Z77 Pro4 full ATX OR ASRock Z77 Pro4 M OR Gigabyte Z77-DS3H s1155. I am not planning to use two GPU's, I just want good overclocker (I would try getting 3570k to 4.5+).
-Would Fortron Saga 500 W, Active PFC, 80PLUS be enough for this machine (bear in mind that I would get a new GPU in a few months). And how about Chieftec GPS-600A8?

Thanks in advance.

Its already bought? I would have went with a 4670K new... newest tech, just a hair more as far as cost goes. Still a good choice, just no upgrade path.

If you want a good overclocking board, you should step up a notch or two. Asrock Extreme 4 is about the lowest board I would use for moderate overclocks.

THe PSU choices you listed are SCARY, specifically the Cheiftec. In my signature is a PSU guide that lists some known good PSU's. Take a look there. You do NOT want to cheap out on your PSU! That said, if you are not planning on a dual GPU setup, grab a 500W Corsair PSU of your choice as they are all good really (CX being the worst, AX the best).

You think everyone is as informed as folks that post here all the time? Most are clueless pretty much. Not a big deal, unless your a forum crawler like we are no one knows.

Clicky Clicky Buy Buy.

Don't fret it OCnoob, it's not your stuff.

You think everyone is as informed as folks that post here all the time? Most are clueless pretty much. Not a big deal, unless your a forum crawler like we are no one knows.

Clicky Clicky Buy Buy.

Don't fret it OCnoob, it's not your stuff.

I may not be informed like you guys, but, with all due respect, you certainly can't call me "Clicky Clicky Buy Buy".

The thing is that I live in a country where market is very limited, and BDP is low so I can't afford to build a new PC that often. I usually get a new machine every 4-5 years. I red a lot about differences between IB and Haswell, and I'm inclined toward IB, mostly because it's better overclocker. I will be using this machine for years, and I have to be sure that I'll be able to "squeeze" the most power from it. As much as I can see, the Haswell is "greener", which makes it look more oriented towards portable devices and seems they have somehow neglected desktops. And about 1150/Haswell being future-proof, I'm not that sure; there are rumors that Haswells are just transition toward Broadwell, which will apparently use ball grid array, so it's bye-bye to upgrades.

I have pretty much decided on 3570k, I just needed advice for motherboard and PSU, because I was "out of the game" for the past few years.

About the motherboard, I could stretch for ASRock Extreme4, would it be any better than the ones mentioned in my original post?

The difference that IB can overclock more than haswell, makes the chips about even in performance. If you end up with a 4.3ghz haswell, you will need a 4.6ghz+ IB which is in the ballpark of being maxed out depending on cooling anyway.

Haswell in no way neglected desktops.

The chip before the next chip is always a transition chip. Again, haswell will have a refresh in this platform so there would be an option for another upgrade if needed.

Some of broadwell will be bga, like laptops. There is still a upgradeable desktop chips.

I mean either way you can't go wrong, buy from scratch, if you can afford the meager difference, imo, its worth it to go latest tech. Either way. We will help of course.

Yes, its better. That is why we suggested it. The power delivery area is a bit more robust than the others which is helpful for overclocking.

Thanks EarthDog. I will definitely inspect prices of Haswell motherboards for 4670 before making my final decision. Just two quick ones, please tell me if these are any good:

-ASRock Z87 Pro4
-MSI Z87 G43

A note about PSU from my original post: it's actually FSP now; Fortron was their former name.

Also, it might be relevant to mention what is the main usage of my PC - as much as I like playing games, I mainly use my PC for work. I heavily use Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture NX2 and Illustrator, sometimes Premiere.

There's a sticky in our Power Supply section with our recommended units. I would stick to those for component longevity.

Just get a Corsair CX600 and call it a day. They're reliable enough. Affordable too.
A good, affordable Z87 motherboard is the Z87-A by ASUS.

Get haswell. You're not making a smart decision otherwise.
What if your motherboard goes on you two years from now after the warranty expires. If you have Z77 you're highly unlikely to find a replacement board (not new anyways). If you have Z87 you'll be able to find a replacement board.

Z87 gives you better efficiency per clock (a 4Ghz Haswell smacks a 4Ghz Ivybridge performance wise), it gives you 6 native Sata 3 6gbps ports, Ivybridge only gives you 2.

Haswell's only drawback is that it runs hotter, limiting overclocks. But since a 4.3Ghz Haswell meets or beats a 4.6Ghz Ivybridge, that doesn't really matter.

Yes Haswell is a pitifully small upgrade from Ivybridge, but it's an upgrade. You save no money really by going Ivy, and you're buying something obsolete.

I will try to find it, but, as I said, the market is very limited here. Buying online is not an option, because import taxes are just too big, and there is always complication with warranty when buying from abroad.

I have found MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, apparently a very good board.
How high do you think would 4670k go with this board on stock cooling? Would it get near 4.0?

And another question;
-2x4GB Kingston HyperX Blu 1600mHz
OR
-2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1600mHz
?

That board will be fine. Stock cooling should be ok at 4Ghz.

As far as the ram, either will do fine.

I have found 530W Thermaltake Smart SPS-530M for an OK price. Would this be any good? Corsairs, or any PSU's from the list, simply can't be found here.

UPDATE: There is also Thermaltake Smart M550W, it's a bit more expensive than 530M.

Last edited:
Back