• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A new router can work wonders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Well I was getting sick of my G setup years ago and I bought a Belkin Surf N 300 a few months ago. I actually hooked it up today and wow. I an using 54 adapters on most everything so I did not expect faster speeds but I was wrong. The improved signal, even on 54 devices, makes a big difference.

I have noticed that wireless routers seem to degrade in signal over time and I hope I can get 5 years out of this unit.

Hey everyone still riding a 54G setup. Just changing routers or adapters can help out with signal quality. You don't get more speed but the responsiveness improves.

I an using 54 adapters on most everything so I did not expect faster speeds but I was wrong. The improved signal, even on 54 devices, makes a big difference.

You would think with 54 devices on the channel at once, it would be VERY SLOW. :facepalm:

Just kidding. I've experienced the same thing.

I was the opposite with mine. All my stuff had N cards but was using a G AP. When I switched the signal strength (reason for switching) was improved substantially, but the speeds..... wow.

I was the opposite with mine. All my stuff had N cards but was using a G AP. When I switched the signal strength (reason for switching) was improved substantially, but the speeds..... wow.

I have not actually done a speed test. I am simply refering to the feel. My 1.5 internet is still the same but pages seem more responsive and load faster. Honestly I have 2 networks in the house (wired Cisco and wireless Belkin) and only ever use the wireless for internet. I almost never transfer files wirelessly because it is slow compares to the 1Gb connection.

I've been using the same Linksys WRT54GL for 4 years now...on Tomato firmware. Haven't had a change in performance at all.

Only thing I wished it had now, was gigabit for faster WHS backups.

I've been using the same Linksys WRT54GL for 4 years now...on Tomato firmware. Haven't had a change in performance at all.

What is your transmission range? When it was new (my dead motorola as well) it did great but with the increase in wireless use and the fact that there is 60'+ and 4 walls between my router and the furthest desktop are a consideration.

My sinal has degraded over the pat few years (just like my old one) to the point of not being able to stay connected at times. It still works fine but not for me.

same setup here... <3 my wrt54gl and tomato firmware, super stable never have any issues, and never had and problems with wifi range decreasing, tho its not the best, but i attribute that to :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty router placement, and the vast amount of walls it has to go through etc etc..... as i can get my wifi at my buddies garage down the street with more signal than down stairs in my house haha.

What is your transmission range? When it was new (my dead motorola as well) it did great but with the increase in wireless use and the fact that there is 60'+ and 4 walls between my router and the furthest desktop are a consideration.

My sinal has degraded over the pat few years (just like my old one) to the point of not being able to stay connected at times. It still works fine but not for me.

It's located in the basement and works out to the porch in front, in back and the 2nd floor of the house. So probably a 30' radius is the most I've done?

I'm currently looking at getting a Motorola SB1620 Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 extreme broadband cable modem and handing back the pos cisco one my isp gave me. Amazon has em for about $85 new. Supposedly it unlocks, or can, whatever benefits there are to broadband. But most importantly it frees me from the isp crapware completely. That and a decent n wireless router with ddwrt or tomato would be very sweet indeed.

Back