• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A QUIET yet effective Heatsink for Q6600 G0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gro Harlem

Registered
Hi guys. i'm building a new computer from scratch & need some advice on heatsinks. The system is using a P180 antec case and I'd prefer a heatsink that uses a 90 or 120mm fan due to the reduction in noise.

I was originally gonna use a 7700 Zalman that I already have on my Core 2 Q6600 G0 due to its quiet design but I realize it is a last-gen cooler (had it for 2 years now) and I'm unfamiliar with the current-gen heatsinks.

Someone suggested a scythe infinity which looks intriguing. The price is right and I like being able to position the fan on all 4 corners of the ridiculous-looking fins. Is this a good heatsink to do some 10-30% overclocks on?

If not, my budget is about $40 maybe 50 max (shipped) for something that will allow me to mildly OC the Q6600, yet remain pretty quiet in the case.

Last edited:
If you willing to spend a bit extra and don't mind having a gigantic heatsink... the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is amazing with my G0.. It can hold either one or two 120mm fans, depending on your style :). Currently I'm at 3.24ghz (from 2.4) my idle temps are about 36-33-33-33 orthos load @ 52-46-46-46 and my AS5 hasn't cured yet, only doing the push method, with one fan. Throwing on a Scythe S-Flex fan is very quite and has a good CFM (67.9CFM I believe @ 26-29db?) Probably be spending close to $70 bucks, but it is well worth it!

Last edited:
If you willing to spend a bit extra and don't mind having a gigantic heatsink... the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is amazing with my G0.. Currently I'm at 3.24ghz (from 2.4) my idle temps are about 36-33-33-33 orthos load @ 52-46-46-46 and my AS5 hasn't cured yet. Throwing on a Scythe S-Flex fan is very quite and has a good CFM (67.9CFM I believe @ 26-29db?) Probably be spending close to $70 bucks, but it is well worth it!
2nd vote for the Ultra120/extreme.

I wouldn't go with those fans though, you can pick up some Yate Loons for around 4 bucks each and they are very nice :) Every fan in my case is a Yate Loon.

2nd vote for the Ultra120/extreme.

I wouldn't go with those fans though, you can pick up some Yate Loons for around 4 bucks each and they are very nice :) Every fan in my case is a Yate Loon.

Do you know what the db's are for the yate loons and CFM? I hear a lot about em, haven't done any research into them though.

Do you know what the db's are for the yate loons and CFM? I hear a lot about em, haven't done any research into them though.
I don't know the numbers off hand, but they are very quiet when undervolted ;)

Yea I read a lot of reviews & benchmarks on the eXtreme and yea..I think i might spend the extra money on it instead of a Infinity or Tuniq. Having a 3-7C advantage under load IMO is quite significant.

My only reservation is apparently lots of people buy these & have to lap them. That kinda of quality control turns me off, but I am very mechanically inclined & have sanding blocks & numerous grits of sandpaper to lap it to a polish finish. ehh..anything to get a few more -C's :)

Thermalright Ultima 90 looks like a good performer for a decent price. Strap on a 120mm or 92mm fan of your choice.
Anandtech review w. comparisons HERE

Last edited:
Back