• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A recomendation please ( :

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seth8530

Ok guys, i have an amd 955 BE CPU and a nice corsair 750 w PSU and i just recently received 2 gtx 480's for free. I need a motherboard that can do SLI will work with the amd 955 and also hopefully work with the bull dozer's... Also, is sata 3g/s compatible with sata 6 gb/s? I want to keep it under 150 if possible because i also need a new case to keep these cards cool.

Thanks guys!

What part of it?

The part where you say you need a AM3+ motherboard that will run SLI and have SATA 6GB/s ports for under $150.

As far as I know there aren't any available yet... And the ones that are scheduled to come out sooner rather than later are not going to be in your price range...

I think the first boards to come out with support for what you ask will be the "top dog" boards... think Asus Crosshair V; and a board like that will sell for double what you have as a budget. You can find a AM3 board right now with the nForce chipset that will allow you to do SLI and have the SATA 6GB/s ports, but no support for the Bulldozer cpus.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636
But again; that board will not support the new generation of CPUs.

Last edited:
Ok guys, i have an amd 955 BE CPU and a nice corsair 750 w PSU and i just recently received 2 gtx 480's for free. I need a motherboard that can do SLI will work with the amd 955 and also hopefully work with the bull dozer's... Also, is sata 3g/s compatible with sata 6 gb/s? I want to keep it under 150 if possible because i also need a new case to keep these cards cool.

Thanks guys!

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3789#ov

No idea what the price is. the normal AM3 board is 100$ from Newegg

and it does everything except support AM3+

so AM3+ means bulldozer? and all am3+ would also support cpu's like the 955 which are AM3? also sate 6gb/s isnt a must/

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3789#ov

No idea what the price is. the normal AM3 board is 100$ from Newegg

and it does everything except support AM3+

No it doesn't do everything the OP needs. If you read his original post he states that he has to GTX480 video cards so he needs a board that supports SLI and for that he needs a board with the nForce northbridge.

so AM3+ means bulldozer? and all am3+ would also support cpu's like the 955 which are AM3? also sate 6gb/s isnt a must/

AM3+ = Bulldozer; yes. AM3+ boards will support AM3 cpus, but AM3 boards won't be compatible with AM3+ cpus.
SATA 6GB/s is not a must; it is a nice option to have if you have fast HDDs or SSDs that can take advantage of it, but definitely not a must.

Ok. that helps alot. If i got a board that was sata 6 gb/s would it be backward compatible with a 3gb/s drive? And it MUST have an Nforce bridge? It seems to me that ever since amd and ATI merged its gotten tough to find those.

Ok. that helps alot. If i got a board that was sata 6 gb/s would it be backward compatible with a 3gb/s drive? And it MUST have an Nforce bridge? It seems to me that ever since amd and ATI merged its gotten tough to find those.

Yes SATA 6GB/s will be backwards compatible. The ports will work with any SATA drive you plug to them.

If you want to SLI your two 480s; you will need a AM3 board that has the nForce chipset; those are scarce nowadays, but you can still find them.

ok i will go that route... If any of yall have suggestions that would be great :)

Your best bet is to wait. I remember reading a thread on here a couple of weeks ago where nVidia was going to start letting AMD boards have SLI ability again. By the time those boards start coming out, they'll also be putting AM3+ boards out.

My advice is to go ahead and buy your case now, then start saving your money. By the time Bulldozer and the AM3+ boards are released, you might have enough to buy both.

Your best bet is to wait. I remember reading a thread on here a couple of weeks ago where nVidia was going to start letting AMD boards have SLI ability again. By the time those boards start coming out, they'll also be putting AM3+ boards out.

My advice is to go ahead and buy your case now, then start saving your money. By the time Bulldozer and the AM3+ boards are released, you might have enough to buy both.

SLI support will come with the new 990 chipsets for sure. So yes; a good option would be to get your case now and save money for a month or two until Bulldozer cpus come out and there are motherboards out for you to choose from.

ohkay, i think ill take yalls advice.. Do you think that my graphics cards will still be relevant in 2 months?

alright, i reckon ill just wait till the new mobo's come out and then run both of my gpu's then. thanks for the help

Thanks guys!

Ok, so any updates on the best bang for the buck boards? Any sli AM3+ boards available? If not how well and easy are SLI patches? Any idea on how well they work?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157244

This board would work with both my amd Phenom II 955 and a bulldozer if i wanted to get one later right? No change up in ram needed?

Ok, so any updates on the best bang for the buck boards? Any sli AM3+ boards available? If not how well and easy are SLI patches? Any idea on how well they work?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157244

This board would work with both my amd Phenom II 955 and a bulldozer if i wanted to get one later right? No change up in ram needed?

I purchased the Asus Sabortooth 990FX Motherboard and I love it. Its not as expensive as the high end Crosshair board, but will definitly get the job done.

It will support tri-SLI/Crossfire stock but you can also purchase a extension thingy that will add another PCI E-16 slot.

It also comes with extended warranty and a certificate of "toughness"

Paul from Newegg TV also does an interview with JJ from ASUS regarding Asus's new line of 9xx series Motherboards. You may want to consider watching that.

Back