• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A review of two Surplus Center Blowers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greenman100

Disabled
Today, I recieved two blowers from surpluscenter.com, this one, for $7 and the famous torin for $13.

The first blower, with an acrylic shroud, has no brand on it, and is signifigantly heavier than the torin. The acrylic blower's motor is about 3x the torin's. Overall, I was impressed with the quality of both blowers. So, I hooked them both up to 12vdc.

The Torin was almost completely inaudible, while the acrylic blower was a good bit louder. The air moved by both blowers was similar, with the torin possibly moving a bit more air. At this point, I'd say the torin was at 28db, and the acrylic blower was at 35db.

At 18v, the torin became slightly audible, but the acrylic blower really stepped up its prodcution, both in the form of noise and air. At this point, by my ears, the acrylic blower would become intolerable in a computer, especially if you had to sleep in the same room. I'd say at this point, sound output was at about 30 db for the torin, and 45 db for the acrylic blower. CFM was nearly equal.

Conclusion:
The Torin blower, though twice as expensive, is worth it to me, because I care about noise. For someone on a budget who doesn't care about noise, the acrylic blower moves its fair share of air, and the acrylic housing is pretty cool.

I am a believer in the Torin. By any chance, do you have a scale that could accurately weigh the Torin? I didn't, & I think a lot of folks would like to know exectly how much it weighs.

itshondo said:
I am a believer in the Torin. By any chance, do you have a scale that could accurately weigh the Torin? I didn't, & I think a lot of folks would like to know exectly how much it weighs.

No, but I will in 2 weeks when I go home. I'd say <1 pound.

(I might be able to sneak one into my chem lab and weigh it...we'll see)

Those Torin blowers are becoming all the rage atm. I'm slowly coming 'round to the idea of them. But I'm not sure one would fit inside my case.

are the acrylic ones the same ones you have for sale at AT?

If so I sent a PM about them (on AT).

But after reading this reviews, I may consider the tornin blower instead.

Who knows.

The output of the torin is almost exactly the size of the top of an SLK heatsink. In fact, you can just hinge it on an sk-7, because of a ridge thingy. I love my torins, I put 2 in my case, and temps dropped about 5c everywhere, even though I though I had good airflow before.

woo! i was considering the acrylic, but i need quiet..i'll order my torin tonight. thanks for the rev.!

a-lot. for a single blower to ship to my house (maine) it would cost $10. thats a heck of allot of a $13 blower...but i sacrificed, found someone else who wanted one, and said "gimme $20 i'll order it for you."

so, he saved $2, and i saved something like 4...because shipping 2 blowers only cost like $11 to ship. weird.

Well I'm a noise ultra freak so I found them to vibrate a bit much for me. They are very quiet. Quieter than a M1A 120mm panaflo at even 7volts.

Anyway I have two new ones for $25 shipped if anyones intersted.

Side2.jpg

BeerHunter said:
Well I'm a noise ultra freak so I found them to vibrate a bit much for me. They are very quiet. Quieter than a M1A 120mm panaflo at even 7volts.

i'm interested - PM me (you don't seem to take PMs or e-mails, and this sort of thing doesn't belong in this forum.....)

BeerHunter said:

4. We do not permit advertising OF ANY KIND! This includes posting your URL, offering items for sale or trade Or announcements of new sites This applies equally to commercial and private ads. We do permit Senior Members to post their personal URLs - this is the only exception.

Back