• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10 5800k OC issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jetster220

Alright, having issues ocing the 5800k. The screenshot below will illustrate my problem. Cant figure out why my cores are fluctuating speeds. Doesnt appear to be heat based on the temps Im seeing??

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,114
I dont see core temp in the screenshot. Only temp is see is "CPU temp", wich is the package itslef, not every core temps.

The speed vary while running a work in P95 or only in between work ? If its in between work, this is normal.

Nothing I have been able to find as far as monitoring wise shows individual core temps. It does it while fully under load, not between units as far as I can tell. Wierdly enough after a bit of messing with it, seems to be staying steady now for the most part, although occasionally a core will drop in speed for a split moment here and there.

It's most likely thermal throttling but maybe someone that know these 5800k more than me can comes in. I buyed a 3870k but for my mother PC ... it's not OCed and i dont live with her so i can't test it right now. I also buyed another one for a friend PC, not OCed too.

Ya I'd have to agree with the thermal throttling that a 100w cpu in a minimal board. I f you gan get more air over the VRM section it might help.

Its really odd as it doesnt seem to be doing it now. Actually have it running at 4.3Ghz with a .1v increase on the cores. Not sure why it was doing that earlier, only thing I can really imagine is that there were points in the workloads that allowed the system to clock down those cores when the load dropped.

AMD APUs are "speed stepping" to remain within TDP. The way I understood it is the CPU and GPU stuck together on the die are exceeding the TDP, so the APU will throttle to keep within thermal and power designs, especially when both are maxed at the same time, or when OCing.

Have you disable Turbo Mode in BIOS?

I dont see core temp in the screenshot. Only temp is see is "CPU temp", wich is the package itslef, not every core temps.

The speed vary while running a work in P95 or only in between work ? If its in between work, this is normal.

It might show up as "Package" temp instead of "Core" temps in the newer version of HWMonitor. I don't know what it would be or if it would be in the utility that OP is using. The other issue is that with the APUs the core/package temp reading is typically inaccurate on the high side. With these CPUs it's better to go with CPU socket temp. I recently built a system for a friend with the A8-5500 on an ASRock ASRock FM2A75M-DGS board with a good aftermarket cooler. I found the core temps were unrealistically high but the socket temps were quite cool. This system was not overclocked.

Jester220 I would suggest using the non pro version of HWMonitor to check temps and voltages of your system. It is the standard tool around here for that sort of thing and if makes helping folks a lot easier if everyone is using the same tools.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'll check which version of Hwmonitor I'm using when i get home, didn't think it was the pro version, i know there are different ones, three one inn the screen shot isn't the one made by cpu-id. I guess the part that keeps seeming confusing is that it was slowing itself but now isn't. Temperature hasn't changed and i really didn't change anything else, it just suddenly quit doing it.

Hmmm, I'll check which version of Hwmonitor I'm using when i get home, didn't think it was the pro version, i know there are different ones, three one inn the screen shot isn't the one made by cpu-id. I guess the part that keeps seeming confusing is that it was slowing itself but now isn't. Temperature hasn't changed and i really didn't change anything else, it just suddenly quit doing it.

The screenshot in post #1 shows that you were using HWINFO 64, not HWMonitor.

Back