• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10-8700p disappointing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LoL sounds like a CPU-dependent game. Probably something you should have looked into before buying a PC with a garbage CPU. :thup:

But, hey rage on, whining about your poor decision and calling others thick. This is solid, Monday morning entertainment :popcorn:

Hmm. Apparently Intel's graphics chips may in fact sweep the floor with your R6, depending on the chip of course. For example the G3D rating for Intel HD 530 is almost 1200, when the R6 only scores about 600 points in the same benchmark.

Ah i see...I was under the impression the the integrated AMD graphics were supposed to be superior. :shock:

Time to dump this machine i think lol.

Will go and buy this instead, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-ae065sa-15-6-laptop-silver-10132863-pdt.html

- - - Updated - - -

LoL sounds like a CPU-dependent game. Probably something you should have looked into before buying a PC with a garbage CPU. :thup:

But, hey rage on, whining about your poor decision and calling others thick. This is solid, Monday morning entertainment :popcorn:

Yeah, AMD are clearly garbage. I thought it was just intel fan boys, that said it, but now I've experienced it myself considering a 5 year old Intel machine can nearly out perform this AMD laptop.

Ah i see...I was under the impression the the integrated AMD graphics were supposed to be superior. :shock:

Time to dump this machine i think lol.

Will go and buy this instead, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-ae065sa-15-6-laptop-silver-10132863-pdt.html

Yeah, AMD are clearly garbage. I thought it was just intel fan boys, that said it, but now I've experienced it myself considering a 5 year old Intel machine can nearly out perform this AMD laptop.

That will definitely be a better machine, for LoL and everything else.

It's unfortunate that AMD hasn't really produced anything competitive recently. Competition is a good thing. Intel's i-series really knocked the wind out of them :(

The CPU itself is decent, offering around 40% increase in single-threaded performance and nearly 100% increase in multi-threaded performance over your old i3. It's likely the integrated GPU that's letting you down. Make sure you don't only check your new machine's CPU, but also its integrated GPU. Not all Intel GPU's are as "fast" as the one I mentioned.

That one has a G3D rating of 874. Better than R6, worse than some of the fastest Intel GPUs. Mind you, these are only PassMark's software's scores. You might want to see what sort of CPU/GPU combinations fit your budget and then see if they have 3DMark scores as well.

Also, you might want to search YouTube for gameplay videos with the GPU you're considering. Start with "League of Legends GeForce 940m" and you'll find at least one video that should give you a decent reference.

Also, you might want to search YouTube for gameplay videos with the GPU you're considering. Start with "League of Legends GeForce 940m" and you'll find at least one video that should give you a decent reference.

+1 synthetic benchmarks aren't very useful in comparing two "cards" in a particular game. The benchmark and the game are going to be coded in entirely different manners, so if cardX has double the passmark/3dmark score of cardY, that doesn't necessarily mean cardX will double cardY's FPS in gameZ.

Yeah, looking at youtube the 940m plays with it all on very high st 55-60 fps, and high at 70 fps, which is perfect.

Will have to give this to my Mum and go get that now lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Just FYI, you could build a much more capable desktop for just about the same money. If you need portability, that's one thing, but if you use this mainly for gaming, I think it's worth considering a small itx or matx build.

yes, the apu's are horrid for us, but my mothers xp home rig is dying, I have a nasty little a6 apu/gigabyte matx board combo, chuck that in the crappy Thermaltake case with a 250 watt psu, BAM!!!! perfect for her.

The AMD graphics are very good but the poor single core CPU performance doesn't allow it to shine. So much of our computing is still CPU dependent. CPU performance is foundational.

So here is the thing. The APUs are a mainstream product. They can game, hell I was playing warframe off a stock a10-7870k for a week strait. Yeah, I had to tone the settings down from my normal settings (I am normally playing on a GTX670 desktop card). Yeah I had to run it in a 1600x900 window, but it worked, and worked well.

Some food for thought on YOUR experience:

The APUs (laptop and desktop) have a configurable TDP. This means the manufacturer can (and probably will in a laptop) limit performance to improve thermal characteristics AND BATTERY LIFE. Cause you average Joe cares not about tflops of computer power, but more about battery life, and burning their flannel shirt that has never seen a day of real work.

Was it a laptop? Check.
Was it HP, who has applied thermal limits to their products before? (Earlier core I series with dedicated gfx card's) Check.
Did YOU do your homework on the product you purchased to check performance? Nope.
Did you look into ways to improve your experience, IE better, faster ram (most manufactures do not slap in the fastest ram a CPU can handle...)? Nope.

Overall, I am sad that your experience was bad, but not for the same reasons you are. I am sad that average Joe who Google searches about this CPU for some light portable gaming is gonna think you know what you are doing when he comes across this thread.

I'm sorry you have had this experience, and sincerely hope you can return the laptop for something that better fits your needs so you don't waste your money. Ultimately, ensure you do your research before buying computing products, otherwise, you are setting yourself up for failure. For laptops, notebookreview.com or notebookcheck.org are great places to start when researching products.

Laptop CPUs are "cut down" versions of their desktop counterparts and cut down in many ways. As Bluefalcon13 said, the manufacturers reduce core speed and limit the turbo boost to fewer cores at a time than you would see in the equivalent desktop. But they may also chop the total number of cores such that a mobile i5, for instance, may only have two cores instead of four like you would see in a desktop i5. They often also reduce the amount of cache. All to reduce heat and extend battery life.

Hi, so i bought a HP Envy, that i use for university. I also intended to play League on it, i know it's not a gaming PC, however League isn't really a graphics intensive game and should run fine...

I thought it would perform much better than my old laptop from 5 years ago that had an i3-350m and intel hd graphics. But to be honest, it barely out performs a 5 year old laptop, when this is supposed to be AMD's latest chip?

It struggles to get 60 fps on anything except low or very low settings. Even on low sometimes it's running at around 45 fps, without shadows, v sync enabled.

I'm just failing to understand how it cannot run this game on at least medium settings at 60 fps.

Looking at video's on youtube, i7's or i5's with the latest intel HD graphics can run league at high at 60fps with ease. So i assume this AMD A10-8700p with R6 integrated graphics is just useless hardware?

My first foray into AMD hardware, not too impressed, and think i will sell it and go buy an intel machine with the latest integrated graphics if i can't get anymore performance somehow.

Anything i can do?

Guy at PC world told me that this is equatable to an i5, but looking at benchmarking websites it seems to say it's not even equivalent to an i3.

I think you can report this thing to AMD Issue Reporting Form.
AMD Issue Reporting Form
Maybe you will have a good Solution.

Thanks!

Yeah, looking at youtube the 940m plays with it all on very high st 55-60 fps, and high at 70 fps, which is perfect.

Will have to give this to my Mum and go get that now lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.

You should be able to play it 48fps on carrizo with settings maxed on on fullhd according to this article. There must be something else wrong with your laptop perhaps?
http://www.pcgamer.com/amds-carrizo-notebook-apu-launches-with-promising-efficiency-improvements/

Sorry to Necro post here but I figured it would be better than creating a new thread. Did you find any solution to this other than buying a new unit? I purchased this http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Notebo...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 a couple of months ago to play League on and Im having the same issue. It will run at about 60fps until the poo starts flying and then it drops to about 25-30fps. It just doesn't seem to run the game smoothly honestly. All of my settings are as low as they will go. Just curious if you had any luck finding a solution, that's all. Charting with MSI afterburned show the the CPU seems to be hitting 100% half the time which I would have to assume is where the bottleneck is. Thank you everyone for any time the take looking at this.

Back