• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC Detective said:
Remember as I pointed out in my earlier post - that while this is a Clawhamer core (AP) - it is actually a cut down Clawhammer so only has 512KB L2 cache. (Half the cache has been disabled - similar to what they do with Thortons but there is no known way to enable to missing cache). Newcastle cores only have 512KB L2 cache to start with and as such have a smaller die size.
I assume you are building a full system so obviously depending on your overall spend the extra $100 becomes less relevant than if you were just buying the cpu. E.g the extra cache will give you approx 5% extra performance for a given frequency - if you are spending $1000 on the system then the extra cache option will be $1100 or an extra oncost of 10% whereas if you spend say just $500 the oncost increases to 20% - it is up to you what you think is worthwhile.

I am aware that it has 512 cache, and anyways I have bought it, as for me I only purchases a new board and cpu so to spend an additional $100 over what the board and cpu cost it does not make sense.

CK

Bah whatver when i said newcastle i ment 512k cache, glad u finally made ur choice when ur get the thing in, run some benchies and keep us informed cuss me im trying to find out all i can on these things before i buy one myself.

hoping to speak with others running a 3000 similar to the one I have on the Chaitech board. I am getting stoked and looking forward to driving down to Bellingham WA to pick mine up at another mad overclockers pad LOL

CK :beer:

Back