• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X-X and OC'd fsb resets to original on cold boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KemoSabe

Registered
Hi! All

I have an Asus A7V8X-X MB, I know its crap for OC'ing though until I can get a newer Nforce chipset board I tried OC'ing the fsb of my 1900XP cpu from 133 to 142 and it seems very stable there.

I noticed however that whenever I turn the computer on from a cold start the CPU resets its fsb to stock settings but if I restart then the OC'd 142 settings are back. Is this just the way it is with this MB...Its not too much of a bother really since when I just have to restart or upon cold boot enter and exit the Bios to have the OC'd settings take but I need to know if this is normal for these boards.

Thank you.

Try replacing the battery on the board. Could be that it is not charged enough to hold the cmos settings. I had an A7V333 that did exactly as you described and a new battery cured the problem. Asus has been known to ship boards with bad batterys sometimes.

Welcome to the forums btw:)

Al

Last edited:
Hi! Maximouse & thank you for your gracious welcome :)

I am not too sure its the Bios battery here thats the problem since the board is about 6 months old though I will try and replace it.

I did manage to find a link to an review of this board where they found similar occurance with an Asus A7V8x board...the bigger brother to mine. Please check it out HERE.

Quote:
"By the way, while varying the FSB I noticed an interesting trait - on the power-on startup screen only the "generic" processor speed figure was displayed (i.e., the "generic" index for the case of Athlon XP). Moreover, the startup of the WCPU utility showed the original speed."

Can any veteren OC'ers please axplain this finding????:(

I have the original one that it came with ...1003 I have always been a little timid w.r.t Bios flashing since I see it as if it aint broke don't touch attitude but if it will improve anything then I will do it. Any real improvements in 1008 bios..speed etc..??

Can you recomend the best, safest and easiest way to go about this with this mobo?

Thanks for your help :)

KemoSabe said:
I have the original one that it came with ...1003 I have always been a little timid w.r.t Bios flashing since I see it as if it aint broke don't touch attitude but if it will improve anything then I will do it. Any real improvements in 1008 bios..speed etc..??

Can you recomend the best, safest and easiest way to go about this with this mobo?

Thanks for your help :)

Well, my A7V8X-X seems pretty stable compared to yours. Sometimes problems such as the ones you seem to be having means maybe its time for a bios update (sounds a bit broke to me:)).

Download the bios file and unzip it to a Dos boot floppy. Also download the flash utility from the link I gave you and put it on the same floppy.

Set your computer to boot from floppy, then after restarting you can run the flash program from the Dos prompt.

Easy to do.

Al

You don't need the flash utility for the A7V8X-X. It has it's own flashing utility built in. Just get the newer BIOS unzip it to a disk (write down the file name) and when you reboot, press ALT-F2. Although you could use the separate flashing utility, I've found this method to work better for me as I don't have to bother with a separate program on a floppy. It's really straight forwards, look in your mobo manual for details; if not, it's easy enough to follow the on screen directions.

Definately try replacing your battery. I've had that problem on other older mobos. And you shouldn't worry about BIOS updates - espesally with these newer mobos. The newer BIOS for the A7V8X-X I don't think makes anything faster (although I'm not sure about that if you're coming from rev. 1003), but it sure helps eliminate other problems, current or potiential.

Thanks for the help guys I'll definately try changing the battery first as soon as I get a chance, this week end maybe. If that doesn't do the trick then I may give the Bios flash a try.

BTW Metalwave I read up about the EZ flash method in the manual and although it does explain the flashing procedure quite well I was wondering if it allows the Backing up of the current bios as well.

The manual only describes the "back up" procedure using the Aflash utility on a win bootdisk minus something call autoexecbat.exe & config.sys. Is there a simpler way of backing up the Bios using the EZFlash method?

Back