• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8 Trinity quite laggy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

I just helped a friend assemble a computer with an AMD A8 Trinity APU (quad core) and 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM. While installing Win 7 I found it to be a bit laggy. My 5 year old Pentium D (dual core) with 4GB RAM home server seems to be more responsive.

Are APUs supposed to be like this?

Nope. What would you describe as lag when installing Windows?

Please list all components so people can help troubleshoot.

Maybe try a few benchmarks for comparison as well. Get some real world data aside from a "feeling"

Thank you for the replies.

This is supposed to be a low-budget build to be used mainly for web-surfing and some Word and Excel. No gaming. The following brand new parts were used:

CPU: AMD Trinity A8-5600K
MB: ASUS P2A85-M2
PSU: GTR R400 (400W)
Ram: ADATA Gaming RAM 8GB (4GB x 2) DDR3 1600
HDD: TOSHIBA 500GB

When I say laggy I mean it takes some time to open a program or do anything. The program does not open instantly but seems like the system will wait for a few seconds to finish something and then open the chosen program. This happens each and every time.

I've now given the system to my friend and forgot to run benchmarks. But I think the WEI score was 6.6. If I remember correctly I think the CPU score was 7.2.

Could be many things... Have you verified the RAM is running at its rated speed and timings? Unstable RAM will cause problems. Could also be the HDD that's not keeping up or just plain defective.

I have a A8-5600K system myself, all is smooth.

Could be many things... Have you verified the RAM is running at its rated speed and timings? Unstable RAM will cause problems. Could also be the HDD that's not keeping up or just plain defective.

I have a A8-5600K system myself, all is smooth.

Thank you.

As per CPU-Z the RAM is running at 1600 (dual channel on 1.5V) and the timings appear to be normal (all on Auto except I changed the speed from 1333 to 1600). I haven't checked the HDD but it seems to be running fine. It has 32MB cache.

Anyway, I've given the system to my friend and if he doesn't complain I think I'll just leave it.

Thanks again.

Back