• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IP35 Pro can't get FSB over 350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xaero_toast

I need some guidance. It's been a long time since my last rig. To give you an idea how long... the last one was a socket 370, P3, 1.4GHz. Nothing in the entire Pentium4 generation ever impressed me, so I just kept trucking along with that.

These new motherboards have a lot more options.

My system:
Abit IP35 Pro
Corsair DDR2-800 (2x1GB), 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v (passes overnight memtest-86, v.3.3 at 400MHz(800DDR) and listed timings
E2160, retail intel cooler, diamond IC 7, orthos stable @ 3.0GHz, 1.3650v, 52 C
430 watt PSU that came with the cheapie newegg case.
Geforce FX 5200 PCI
500GB Seagate 7200.10 PATA
LiteOn DVDRW, PATA

I'm building this machine in steps. (That's why the PCI video card and the PATA storage devices.) In a month or two, I'll have the money for step two, which will probably include a PCI Express vid card, SATA disk and DVDRW, and a better PSU.

I have gotten the 3.0 GHz I set out to achieve, so I am happy with this rig. I do not intend to push this cpu any farther (besides, upgrade step 3 will be a q6600).

Having achieved my goal, I dropped the multiplier to 6 in order to set out to see what FSB this system is capable of. I cannot get over 350. The cpu is orthos-stable at 9x333 (3.0GHz), but I dropped the multiplier to 6, and the system still will not POST at anything 352 or over. This is with the memory multiplier at 1:1. The memory has previously passed an overnight memtest at 416MHz(833DDR) with FSB at 333 and 1:1.2(5:6) memory multiplier.

Everything I can think of seems to point to the cpu and memory been capable of going higher, but the board is not. I haven't read an IP35 Pro review in which the board achieved a speed any lower than the upper half of 400.

Is it the power supply?

Do these things still have PCI dividers?

Any other ideas?

Heidfirst said:
could be PSU but it also could be the CPU - I wonder if a BSEL mod would help?
How would that help, that just tricks the motherboard into thinking it has a 333fsb chip in it :confused:

And OP, GET RID of that PSU. Pick a nice one up.

Either the Corsair HX520W or Corsair HX620W are VERY nice psu's.

Deanzo said:
Just to rule out something easy, post your voltage controls.

Bios\OC Guru\Voltage Control

And some of the overclocking settings as well.

Bios\Advanced BIOS Features\CPU Feature
This should be set at the following:
Enable
Disable
Disable
Enable
Disable
Disable

Also, try to remove the cpu fan connector from the dedicated connector outlet on the board and connect it some place else. There has been reports of this board having some power issues with the fan connector. It seams that it is somehow connected with the CPU power circuits.

A new, premium quality, overclocking PSU is on top of the shopping list for the next batch of parts. However, I'm stuck with what I've got for the next few paychecks.

Bios/Advanced Features/CPU Features:
The only thing I have enabled here is thermal control. I didn't think the xD bit would have an effect on OC performance. Am I correct?

I've tried going straight to 400, and going straight to several random speeds about 352. Never POSTed.

I've tried moving the fan to other connectors on the motherboard. I'd take it off the mobo, but I don't have the right adapter to plug it into a molex. No change

When running 9x333, my voltage controls are [email protected], [email protected], everything else at "Auto". The system has tested 24 hours of orthos at these settings. when trying to push 6x352 (2112MHz), I pushed the cpu voltage as high as 1.5050, to no avail. I tried bumping the MCH (MCH=northbridge, old school terms, right??) 1 to 2 notches above the default, no change. I tried bumping every voltage option 2 notches above the default, no change. I decided from their I should know what all those voltage settings are for, and I should KNOW which ones I NEED to adjust before going any farther with it.

The attached picture lists my voltages while running orthos at 9x333. I didn't think any of them indicated a PSU deficiency, but then again voltage is only one of several measurable values that indicate power quality, too.

My long term plan for this PC have a decent PCI-express gfx card in it, SATA storage devices, a premium-quality PSU, and the best air-cooling HSF that isn't ridiculously huge or heavy, by christmas time. Then I'll be all ready to tell the 'lil lady how gorgeous she is, while pointing out the box for a Q6600 is the perfect size to slip in a stocking.

Attachments

• voltages.JPG
    voltages.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 292
thideras said:
How would that help, that just tricks the motherboard into thinking it has a 333fsb chip in it :confused:
or 266fsb CPU.
The e2160 is a 200fsb chip so will be running the 800 strap - typically you'll find that limits mobos to ~ 330-350fsb.
By fooling the mobo into thinking that it's a 266 or 333fsb CPU it'll run the looser straps so should hit higher fsb.
The bad news is that iirc BSEL mods don't work on the QuadGT & the IP35 Pro design obviously draws heavily from that so it may not work on that either.

I don't yet have a firm grasp of this "strap" thing. It is my understanding that has to do with the memory multipliers, right? I did notice the correllation between the available memory multipliers on my board, and standard fsb speeds.

mults available are 1:2, 1:1.66, 1:1.5, 1:1.25, 1:1.2, 1:1, which, incidentally, gives 333(667DDR) or 400(800DDR) memory speed for each standard fsb speed (200,266,333), right?

My bios lets me choose, and I've been choosing the 1:1 ratio while testing the fsb limit, this shouldn't be the problem, right? Or does the board start out with the auto-detected setting and change to what I have set in the bios later in the boot process?

Nah it's the NB timings onces you go over 200/266/333 it relaxens the timings. If I was you i'd stop overclocking right now that PSU is on it's last legs. Wait till you get a proper one.

JamesXP said:
PSU is on it's last legs.

Based on what? The voltages I posted? I thought they looked good. It's less than a week old. If there's a problem with it, I'd like to know so I can RMA it.

I thought the voltages looked acceptable too. I don't see the 3.3v rail though. While it's quite possible, the PSU flakes out above 350 FSB, it also is possible the BIOS is immature (knowing Abit's history). The good news is that Abit updates their BIOS on a regular basis. In fact, a new 1.1 version was recently released. I would run your 9X333 O/C for now and when you get your new components, then update the BIOS (maybe version 1.2 will be available by then).

batboy said:
t also is possible the BIOS is immature (knowing Abit's history).
& yet others say that it's possibly the best release BIOS ever ...
I still think that it's a straps thing.

Xaero have you tried any of the other CPU:RAM ratios?

Heidfirst said:
& yet others say that it's possibly the best release BIOS ever
only because of flexibility and voltage options you have throughout the BIOS...
Just because it's possibly the "best release BIOS" compared to those of other manufacturers doesn't mean that it can't be immature for the Abit IP35 Pro

When clocking at different speeds (stock, 266fsb) I've used the ram multipliers that gave me 400Mhz(DDR800). When I tried pushing beyond 333MHz, I only used 1:1. I wanted to find the limits of the system, after which I was going to test the ram to it's maximum capability.

for every multiplier I've used, CPU-z reported the correct RAM speed once booted in windows.

I don't know anyone with a cpu I could borrow. I don't know if I want to do that, anyway. This is my first experience with an LGA775 socket. The manual says "In order to protect the contact pins(blah blah blah)...a maximum of 20 cycles of CPU installation is recommended". I'm a little nervous about jacking with that socket if it's at all unnecessary. I've already installed this cpu 3 times, as it took me that long to get the IC7 compound installed correctly.

At this point, I'm inclined to believe the power supply just doesn't have the balls to clock beyond normal FSB speeds.

I've actually backed off the speed, to 2.4GHz @ 266FSB. Compared to the Pentium III 1.4GHz I had last week, 2.4(dual core) is smokin fast. The next time I go hardware shopping, and get a vid card and PSU, then I'll push it again.

Back