• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IP35-Pro Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well its that time agian, this time i will be testing the Abit IP35-PRO with my E6400 "B2,conroe". ram i will be using for testing will be Gskill ddr2-800 2GHZ's along with ddr2-800 2GPK's. this will kind of be a promos vs D9 going on. mainly i will be looking at getting my cpu past 3.1ghz that i got on my ab9-pro motherboard, you can read about that here.

since i no longer have my ab9-pro as i sold it locally along with the E4300. i will be just comparing the superpi time i have vs the 2. i will have benches of my 680I mem bandwidth core,superpi,3dmark 05/06 to compare to the P35. One thing i will be doing is tring out SLI on the P35 since i have older modded drivers. I do expect the scores to be low but i dont now how low they will be. i will install the same set of drivers to keep things fair, this means that to do this i need to borrow the 7900gt i sold to my friend that got my abit board. should have thought a bit a head:bang head. i will have both single and sli score of 3dmark, i wont be able to submit them since the drivers are not approved drivers.

I will edit this out right now this is a place holder to save me some time. that way i can get straight into setting it up as it will be here at the house waiting on me on June 7th.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JunE 7th

After being able to actaully look at the board. It appears i will have clearance issues with my Ninja HS. the main reason why i say this is the sink on the pwm is rather close to the cpu socket. It is a bit taller then the one on the AB9-Pro.
The NB sinke is 8times taller then the NB sink on the AB9-pro. to best put into perspective the sink on the NB for the IP35-pro is along the lines of this zalman sink, but not flowered out.
The SB sink reminds me of the chipset sink on the AB9-pro but twice the size.

The included stuff, well with 6 sata ports i was expecting to see 6 sata cables like with the AB9-Pro but all i got was 4. not really a big deal but i mean its $30 more then the ab9-pro was when i first bought it. you get one floppy/ide cable, would have liked to see a floppy with intel raid drivers. At this point im crossing my fingers my old xp cd will load fine on the IP35-Pro.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 8/9

well its 155 in the am right now, i havent done a clean load since i need a floppy to load the intel driver to be able to use the AHCI for HD/DVD. I need to find my camera to get pics of the bios. Abit did away with the FSB dividers, you can no longer select 533/800/1066/1333. I tried to boot at 534mhz fsb it just kept rebooting, i took a rather large step back. I tried 450mhz and booted right up into windows with the intel ICH set to IDE on my 680I xp install. The ram dividers are now something along the lines of the Gigabytes with multis. I ran superpi with cpu @3.2ghz/ram @1080 [email protected], atm im still using the HZ's, i scored a 17.502 secs in superpi 1m. for a messed up install that doesnt sound to bad it beat my 3.6ghz/1066 680I 18sec run.

Im gonna play for a bit then bed, then tomorrow track down some floppies for a fresh install. as tring to load from the old xp cd i have if i dont load the ahci drivers when i try to use it i get a stop error.

As for the clearance issues with my ninja there are non, things just looked rather close. They put the bios back to BLUE!!!!
JUNE 10-12th
Well i have updated the bios to the june 6th one i linked below. There is not change in me being able to boot up and into windows past 490mhz. It seems to be a "wall", no matter what multi or voltage used for anything it wont boot up. I have reset things to use stock voltage so the only thing changed in my ss's below are cpu voltage, ddr2 voltage bump. I did bump the ich voltage a small tad, not sure why i just did and kept it there. this board is off to a much better start even with the first bios it came with that is bios 10, the june 6th one is label as 11 but when booting up it does not reflect this like it did with bios 10. Abit's site is a bit slow to add the IP35-pro to the US side you can find specs on the TW site. there is no place to download drivers or bios from either places ATM.

here is a ss to a modded IP35-PRO doing 610mhz fsb with the june bios, they would need this bios since in the first one you can only select 600mhz as max, June 6th raises this cap to 750mhz.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2244100&postcount=68
10/24/2007
ok so i update my board to the bios 14 no problems at all, well... if you consider that at the same fsb and timings for ram i had to up the mch volts a touch more then in the bios11. not really sure why it would cause that though...other then that nothing i see a problem with.. dont have my D9's any more for high speed clocking so its pretty much 400mhz is where im staying at for my 4gigs of ram @4-4-4-10 timings, i tried there rated timings per ddr2-800. the board does boot up but getting in to windows is iffy, stock timings are [email protected],im running 2.175 volts for 4gigs/4x1gig sticks.

!!THIS THREAD WILL BE UPDATED!!

Last edited:
Bios SS's

FSB Selection
fsbselection.jpg

Ram Ratio's
ramratios.jpg

Ram Timings Screen
ramtimings.jpg

CPU Voltage Selection
cpuvlow.jpg
cpuvmax.jpg

DDR2 Voltage Selection
vdimm.jpg

CPU VTT Voltage Selection
LOW
cpuvttlow.jpg
HIGH *NOTE: in order to get higher CPU VTT you need to up the MCH voltage.*
cpuvtthigh.jpg

MCH Voltage Selection
mchv.jpg

ICH Voltage Selection
ichv.jpg

Last edited:
BIOS SS's part 2

ICH-IO Voltage Selection
ichiov.jpg

DDR2 Reference Voltage
ddr2ref.jpg

CPU GLT Reference voltage
cpugtlref.jpg
cpugtlrefs.jpg

CPU/RAM Max pic *this is just a show pic, i did not actually get it to that speed, sorry no extreme cooling here!*
max.jpg

Last edited:
OCED RUNS

E6400 WITH PC2-6400-2GHZ'S

E6400 WITH PC2-6400-2GPK'S

Last edited:
SUPERPI 1M RUNS

Last edited:
SUPERPI 32MB RUNS

Last edited:
Mmmm, not the best start, if you get time could you post a picture of the Ninja sitting on the socket or something like that to show us.
You've got me all ear's (so to say) with this thread. it will still be a number of weeks before I can even get it here, but if its not as good as the P5K I wont wait and just get that, but I soo hope it is..

Deanzo said:
Mmmm, not the best start, if you get time could you post a picture of the Ninja sitting on the socket or something like that to show us.
You've got me all ear's (so to say) with this thread. it will still be a number of weeks before I can even get it here, but if its not as good as the P5K I wont wait and just get that, but I soo hope it is..
not the best start? its hard to get started with everything im using currently in use by the 680i mobo. i am finishing up my benching of hte 680i at 3ghz then will drop it down to stock speed with ram at ddr2-800. kinda hard to premount the ninja when its in use. one i get started tomorrow i will have lost of pics, trust me :beer:

looks like sli testing is out of the question. the focus will mainly be mem bandwidth and cpu performance of the 2 chipsets. i have some older ab9-pro runs in 3dmark05 i will throw up. suprisingly at 2.8ghz with 7900gt at stock with older drivers is only 200 points lower then the 3ghz 7900gt with new drivers, im thinking its the cpu making the 200 extra points.

indeed... i wont be doing much of anything during the day on saturday since its my B-day! i will start back up with it at night, i will try to get home ealry from work to get the mobo installed, tomorrow.

Sorry didnt know most of your parts were on a different motherboard, what I was refering to was the possible clearance issues.

But its all good, I'll look forward to the pictures when you get time.

And happybirthday for tomorrow, hope you have a good one :beer:

Deanzo said:
Sorry didnt know most of your parts were on a different motherboard, what I was refering to was the possible clearance issues.

But its all good, I'll look forward to the pictures when you get time.

And happybirthday for tomorrow, hope you have a good one :beer:
sorry then i miss understood when you said not a way to start had me :confused:. I plan on leaving at 1pm today from work to the stock benching on 680I done, then installing the IP35-pro.

TY!

Evilsizer said:
I need to find my camera to get pics of the bios. Abit did away with the FSB dividers, you can no longer select 533/800/1066/1333.
apparently there are at least 3 different known BIOS for this mobo.
The North American & European shipping BIOS have different compile dates in May (1 supposedly has nb strap selection & 1 doesn't) & supposedly there is a June dated one as well.

Hmm... what slots did you install the RAM onto? My DFI board didn't recognize a dual channel until I put it into alternate slots. :confused:

Just wanted to know when I get mines.

slot 1/2, matching color for dual channle. the matching color ones set dual channel. if its not in matching color slots then its going to be single.

"So far the P35 Abit is a winner in my book. I have used many P965 , 680i, 650i, and RD600 boards and none of them are as easy to OC and none could reach 540FSB with little tweaking such as this board. I realize there are boards out there that can better these results but they are few and far between. This is a damned fine board and I am sure there will be improvements as bios updates are released but so far I have no complaints. Again, I won't push my board to extreme limits as some will so there may be some drawbacks for those that do. I have not tried RAID yet so that is the only aspect of this board I can't vouch for. Otherwise the board functions flawlessly (audio, NIC, USB, etc) at the 540FSBx6 and 475FSBx8."
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2242029&postcount=55

are you able to get your board to boot at or over 500mhz fsb. i cant seem to at all. i was droppin the multi to find the highest boot speed so at this point in banking on a new bios to allow for higher bootable speeds. 480mhz fsb is nice coming from a 965p where the highest fsb was 396mhz cause of the crappy PLL on the first run board i got.

Back