• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit is7 or abit ic7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

Abit IS7 (Sprindale/Ser. ATA/usb 2.0/6ch. sound)

Abit IC7 (Canterwood/Ser. ATA/usb 2.0/6ch. sound)

what is the better board for overclocking and gaming

the processor is 2.6 c and the memmory is 512 mb ddr kingston hyper x pc 3500

the ic7 is like 10 bux more, but is it also better is my question
i read both revieuws i think their both good, but i dunno which one is better

thx, jeffrey

I too am curious about this.
A good friend of mine asked me to help him build
a new Intel based rig.

But he isn't into OCing at all so I'm unsure which
Board/RAM combo would be best.

The IC7 is better in my opinion. First off, it's got Intel's flagship chipset, the 875 Canterwood, which means that you'll be getting the best performing chip they offer. Another thing is that I don't think Abit really cares about their Is7's.

By that, I don't mean the board "doesn't matter to them," but I've bought 3 IS7's. Two from Newegg.com, which were purchased roughly 6 to 7 months apart, and then another from my local Fry's Electronics. In all 3 cases, I found the board's chipset fan was either missing a hook to keep it in place, or was actually completely off, and had damaged some of the other parts of the mobo. In addition, the manuals were all creased and folded down the middle, and some pages were wrinkled/crumpled up. It looked like everything in the box was literally thrown in. Even the outside of the boxes were dirty and scuffed up. All of the boxes were like that at Fry's.

I know I was just really unlucky because there are plenty of happy people with IS7's, but if there's only a 10 buck differential, get the better board! Shouldn't even be a question! :D

In your case, Susquehannock, if your buddy isn't going to OC, I'd go with something that just looks really good and is stable, like the DFI LanParty board. It's got UV-reactive PCI, AGP and memory slots. Get some PC3200 memory from either Corsair (XMS), Kingston, OCZ or Mushkin and you'll be fine.

you won't go over 250 fsb and 5:4 mem divider with that ram. Go for the ic7, PAT gives some extra performance

I'm also comparing the IS7 and IC7. Would there be any advantage to getting the IC7 in the following config?:

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB
2 X Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3500

The IC7 is not that much more, but it doesn't include onboard LAN. Also, I'm not looking to overclock, I just want a faster system for DVD ripping. Also, would I get similar results if I got a 2.8C and bumped it up to 3.0 or so?

Whaddya youse gotta say?

Back