• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abnormal cpu and core temp readings on new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I3ARON

Registered
Before describing the issue I'm having, here are my sys specs:
CPU: AMD FX4170 Black Edition w (stock heatsink)
ATX MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO, AMD Chipset 990X/SB950, UEFI BIOS
AM3+ socket
MEM: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 1600
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GTX560 TI, 1GB DDR5
PSU: NZXT 750W HALE82 Semi-Modular
CASE: NZXT Phantom

I installed OS (Win 7 Home Premium 64bit), mobo drivers, software and utilities from mobo dvd. Reboot into BIOS and let sit and idle and watched cpu temp rise from 29'C to 49'C,:-/ along with stock cpu fan rpm in about 20 min. BIOS set at default settings other than boot sequence, which I set at USB, DVDROM then HDD. I shut down unit and reboot to desktop and installed "System Monitor" and "Core Temp" (3rd party utilities). Core temps read between 80'C to 83'C.!!??:eek::confused: I shut down unit immediately. I felt heatsink and it was barely warm, around room temp. I removed heatsink, inspected, reseated and reboot again with approximately the same temp readings. Which readings can I trust, if any one of them?
I'm now reluctant to leave unit on for any length of time. I read in another post about how idle temps can be inaccurate. Is there anything to that? Thanks for any input, advice or help of any kind.

Baron

Idle temps are often inaccurate but usually to the cool side. Do you have access to the underside of the motherboard socket area via a cut out in the motherboard tray? If so, put your finger on the spot and see if it feels like 80+c. That would be uncomfortably hot to the touch.

Can you download HW Monitor and post a screenshot for us? That would help us out so that we can help you better.

Here are some obvious things to check.

1. Make sure heatsink is seated properly with thermal paste applied correctly (sounds like you did that).
2. Make sure all your fans are plugged in and spinning properly.
3. Check your fan settings in the bios, whether the fan speed is set to adjust automatically or if they are set to max speed.

Thanks for the quick responses.

@trents
I touched mobo directly beneath cpu and was rather cool to the touch. Not even luke warm. After checking temp by touch. I opened "Core Temp" and it still was reading quite hot, then I noticed it was also jumping all over the place, (70'C, 81'C, 64'C, 72"C) so I went in settings and reset to defaults. Temp readings are now in single digits 7'C - 8'C.

@juane414
Turns out I was getting incorrect temps with "Core Temp". I installed HW Monitor. Temps looking normal now with "HW Monitor" utility. Good utility to have. Checked BIOS, and fans set to auto. All fans are on, and working properly. On the mobo, next to the cpu fan connector, there is another connector, labeled (PWR FAN). Not sure what fan gets plugged in there. All the case fans are run to 5 slide controls on top of case, which are manually controlled. Warning keeps popping up stating that pwr fan is not plugged in. Not sure what to do about that.

Baron

Attachments

• ScrSht_002.jpg
    ScrSht_002.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
@juane414
I figured out why I was getting the high readings from Core Temp. While I was in "Settings", I had checked a box which would give a reading of the difference between the actual core temp and TjMax, noting that the single digit reading is not the actual core temp either.:rolleyes:"Brain Fart":D Thanks again for everyone's help.

Baron

Attachments

• Core temp fix.jpg
    Core temp fix.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Glad you got that figured out. Your temps look pretty good to me. Especially for having the stock heatsink.

@juane414
Yea, stock heatsink is just temporary until I get everything up and running without any issues. After that, I have NZXT Havik 140 that is still in the box that I was thinking about using until I saw how big it was. Damn thing takes up so much space, and I have quite a bit of room in my case (Phantom). Anyway, thanks again for your help, it was really appreciated.

Baron

@juane414
Yea, stock heatsink is just temporary until I get everything up and running without any issues. After that, I have NZXT Havik 140 that is still in the box that I was thinking about using until I saw how big it was. Damn thing takes up so much space, and I have quite a bit of room in my case (Phantom). Anyway, thanks again for your help, it was really appreciated.

Baron

No problem. Let us know what your temps are like when you get the Havik installed. It will be interesting to see how much of an improvement it makes.

Back