• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accelero Xtreme Plus II Somewhat Reviewed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hicksimus

After buying a GTX480 and grilling some fine steaks on it I finally decided to see how it would work as a graphics card or a larger grill and ordered an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II. After a fun filled day....yup most of the day in which I had to get past 5 factory stripped screws with rest just cross-threaded! Anyway, if you have a PNY GTX480 and you decide you want to spend a whole day having fun get yourself three cheap screwdriver kits and some gloves just in case.....

DSCF0460g.JPG

As you can find more detailed reviews with a Google search I'll cover two things I didn't see mentioned in them. The first of which is that mine came with 1 slightly bad fan, I use a lot of AC products and this is starting to bother me because after years of good experiences I have encountered several bad fans from them over the last two years. The second issue is that the thermal adhesive shares similar properties with water.....I mixed it for the recommended 5 minutes and proceeded to make a huge mess. After 3 hours out of the 5 hour curing period it was still like water and I broke out my Arctic Silver thermal epoxy...this is a must because the stuff that came with the heat sink was awful. They are trying to push these up to nearly $100 which is the price of a nice Mid Tower so both of these issues shouldn't occur.

DSCF0462g.JPG

So the quality wasn't a 10/10 but what really matters is the cooling performance. It's impressive while also being very quiet. So here are the temperatures from my 19C room and BF3, I could use Furmark but I'm keeping it realistic. :D

Stock Heatsink​

Stock Settings: 85C 61% Fan(only slightly louder than my 200mm fans)
W/ Fan Profile: 72C 73% Fan(annoying noise)
10% Overclock W/ Fan Profile: 75C 77% Fan, Unstable
10% OC W/Fan Profile+Fan on Grilling Surface: 71C 70% Fan, Stable

Accelero Xtreme Plus II​

Stock Settings: 58C 44% Fan(Silent)
Stock W/ Full Fan: 51C (Same noise level as my Very Quiet 200mm Fans)
The following are all at 100% Fan speed because it's so quiet, the idle 480 Fan made more noise
700 Core 924 Memory: 51C
750 Core 1000 Memory: 52C
801 Core 1050 Memory: 54C
861 Core 1100 Memory: 56C(Maximum Stock Voltage O.C.)
905 [email protected] 1100 Memory: 62C

This cooler is a solid 8/10 as far as I'm concerned and it's only really knocked down by the small quality defects and the soon to be large price tag. I haven't covered things like the length because those have been thoroughly covered, so hopefully this helps somebody buy some good thermal epoxy!

DSCF0464g.JPG

Interesting that you had to mix anything, my AXP(1) came with a small tube of thermal adhesive that I just put small dabs on the vrms and ram chips and let it sit overnight and it was fine

I just used sekisui thermal tape for my AXP1. Didn't bother with the adhesive they supplied. Heat-cycling the heatsinks combined with using a pencil eraser on the chips themselves did the trick.

The most nerve-wracking part of it was cutting the MOS-C1 VRM sinks to the right height (and then applying them to the tiny, tiny VRM chips - thanks, ATI).

Back