• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC's Phenom Review and Techinical info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really want to get a 9600 BE on my M2n32, I just really really want to know if the performance gain is going to be good or not. Also does ANYONE on earth have benches of A phenom on An AM2 board? And can they be overclocked at all? my Tuniq tower should do a swell job ;)

Latest OC 2398. The ECS board appears to have a cold boot issue where I have to reset a couple of times before it takes of. Go the Ninja on with temps about 8C lower reading in the upper 40s but actual in the mid to upper 50s.

Ok shutdown, the VRegs went to 90C in about 30 mins but the rig was stable. I'm adding a fan to the regs like I have on my main rig.

:thup: gratz on 2.4

i started playing around with amd overdrive to see if theres one or more cores preventing a high oc. gonna take awhile so i'm gonna work on it this weekend, gettin to late now. heres the prelim.

set cpu multi to 5x in bios fsb to 270 mem to ddr 800
vcore. is set to +.125 reads as 1.36 in bios

2835.jpg

2970.jpg

when i reached there i was like :drool: in stupid haste i decided to start raising the multi on core 3. (shoulda tried super-pi or something :bang head )upon reaching 9x the system froze so thats where i'm at. a project for this weekend.

Nice also AC is there anyway you could run a 24 hr or maybe 48 hr run or 2 x smp's to see it the rig freezes of that time period just make sure not to be maxed on anything like 2.3ghz...

I have a test I'm gonna try when I get set-up. According to the german MSI sit and amd the bug will not appear but once every 2 weeks if cpu left loaded for 24-7 2 weeks straight I wonder it this is so lord know if anyone can run a system for 2 weeks straight :D

Nice clocks Coper :beer: Looks like you found the majic numbers.

This 770 won't run the AMD OD thingy, something about needing the 290FX chipset. I'll be running 1X SMP now through the weekend.

Good news, I've got the temps down by moving from the Armour case to my Chenbro which has a 120mm exhaust sitting 1 inch from the ninja. A little clear packing tape and a small sheet of plastic creates a nice shroud. A 90mm fan mounted in the drive cage blows directly into the sink from the front washing some of that air over the RAM and mobo. I mounted a 3rd 80mm fan blowing from just above the Vid card onto the VRegs. Temps are now below the 50s. Going to have a little fun with it this weekend :drool:

Also does ANYONE on earth have benches of A phenom on An AM2 board?

Home for 2 days

3DMark06 CPU score 3471
Cinebench R10 1871 and 7341 for single and multi cpu

Will post screenies when I have more time

Again that's Phenom 9500 11x220 on Asus M2A-VM HDMI
Ram is at 5-5-5-15 366Mhz

No time to play, will update whenever I can.

Last edited:
That was fun, had to brush up on my Deutsch! A little deciphering and it's possible to make out some of it. I'll have to revisit when my brain has more bandwidth, getting late and my latency is causing TLBs!

It's under water now

Here are some screenies

Time for me to sleep now too.

Attachments

• 3dmark.jpg
    3dmark.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 167
  • cine.jpg
    cine.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 169
It's only nice if it's stable
I'm quad priming right now

Settings are
Vcore 1.475 in bios, 1.424 in CPUZ load
Temps 20C idle 35C load
VNBSB 1.3 (up from 1.2)
Vdimm 2.0 (up from 1.8) Using generic "A-data" 667 at 395Mhz right now 2x1GB
No control of timings in bios so defaulted to 5-5-5-15 1T
Multi 11x
FSB 237
HT multi 4x
Dram set at 667 in bios
AMD live, virtualization, cool'n quiet, spread spectrum all off
Anything I'm missing?

BTW AC if you find out anything interesting from that German article, please post here. My German is so bad that I can't even swear in it, and I can swear in a lot of languages.

With an AM2 board as I see, that's even nicer.

There is a thread about the German article on XS as well with a goole inspired translation, I think it is good enough to figure out what they mean, my German also got quite rusty in the past few years as I figured out a few weeks ago in Frankfurt. Link

Nothing is really different than what we are seeing here that the German site is reporting. Someone on XS translated it to English.

So far only 1.265V, 218x11 for 2395 Stable in the 1 hour test, will do a long test once I find the nice spot.
1.275V
222x11 = 2442 stable for about 20 mins
228x11 = 2486 stable for about 5 mins max
236x11 = 2596 Post but not wondow boot!

I'll see if I can get 230 to boot and stable about 1.29-1.3V

Last edited:
I look at these numbers and I just can not see what this is all about. As an enthusiast I want the fastest for the money and I can not see how any of this applies to anything of value.

When AMD was fastest I was using their chips. Now I see nothing at all that shows any real comparative speeds. I read the name Phenom and I thought it was taken from Phenomena (something that is impressive or extraordinary) and I fail to see how the name and these numbers correlate.

Am I missing something here? I must be... :-/

I look at these numbers and I just can not see what this is all about. As an enthusiast I want the fastest for the money and I can not see how any of this applies to anything of value.

When AMD was fastest I was using their chips. Now I see nothing at all that shows any real comparative speeds. I read the name Phenom and I thought it was taken from Phenomena (something that is impressive or extraordinary) and I fail to see how the name and these numbers correlate.

OCing really isnt about fastest for the money to me. Its about how far you can push a chip. Dont need to have the fastest chip to have a sense of OCing accomplishment.

i think you need to spend some time and read more of this thread cause there are plenty of benchmark result's showing that clock for clock phenom is only slightly slower than intel. i'm more of a hobby oc'er, i'd rather spend month's tweakin this cpu off and on to find out what it takes to get high clock's because it's a challenge. and not everyone need's 4ghz, the phenom more than does what i need it to so any stable oc is just a bonus for me. but to each his own i guess :beer:

so my project for the weekend turned into me playing with the new 32" hdtv the wife bought me for my bday :bday: (totally unexpected) watching the chargers beat down the colt's in hd was freakin awesome :clap: crysis and cod4 are amazing on it. now i just need to find time to work on the oc :bang head

i think you need to spend some time and read more of this thread cause there are plenty of benchmark result's showing that clock for clock phenom is only slightly slower than intel.

Clock for clock it is ~10% slower than Kentsfield and ~15% slower than Yorkfield. Keeping in mind that I can easily make 3.6Ghz out of the Q6600's 2.4Ghz and the prices being very close, I can not see where the Phenomena shows.

Slower tick for tick. Can not overclock nearly as well. Now the errata and other issues that hinder are understandable and hopefully will be dealt with but the price of a slower and far less robust CPU just does not make sense in this thread.

I could understand this far easier if the CPU overclocked better. Maybe there really is no reason for the long threads of this CPU other than it is a new release. Otherwise I just fail to see the justification. OCForums stands for "Overclock Forums" so those who say they are not interested in the Overclock much are in the wrong forums I think. Overclocking is about faster and better. To say that I am a hobby car racer, but would rather tweak the motor than have it run faster makes no sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I moved to AMD in the P4 fiasco and moved to C2 when AMD was clearly the loser. They still are and there is no justification for the purchase in my view. If this CPU was a better clocking CPU than C2Q then yes. If I could make 4.0Ghz on the same air with the Phenom, then I would possibly think of the purchase as it would be somewhat faster. As it is, I can see no sense to this CPU as a new purchase.

I think I will just bow out of this forum until AMD releases a new architecture that is faster than the current fastest chips across the board, just like Hammer was to P4...

Just a reminder, we don't need people telling us how much better intel is, that battle is over. I'm having fun with both!

We hope for B3 to arrive in Feb to March which may allow the clocks to run up. It appears these first batches did not hit the mark. Some of us will be able to get more from these than others. It's still a fast chip.

ac with the big price drops on the quad core that are out now, when the B3s come out what kind of pricing do u think we will see? do you think they will be a fair price or will it be like the 6400+ or any other chip way over priced and with in 2 months they come down a lot?

and if the B3s dont clock much too do you think that we will see a big drop in prices with the hole line up of AM2s and AM2+?

i would hate to see the B3s not make much of a jump and not be worth the money.

Clock for clock it is ~10% slower than Kentsfield and ~15% slower than Yorkfield. Keeping in mind that I can easily make 3.6Ghz out of the Q6600's 2.4Ghz and the prices being very close, I can not see where the Phenomena shows.

Slower tick for tick. Can not overclock nearly as well. Now the errata and other issues that hinder are understandable and hopefully will be dealt with but the price of a slower and far less robust CPU just does not make sense in this thread.

I could understand this far easier if the CPU overclocked better. Maybe there really is no reason for the long threads of this CPU other than it is a new release. Otherwise I just fail to see the justification. OCForums stands for "Overclock Forums" so those who say they are not interested in the Overclock much are in the wrong forums I think. Overclocking is about faster and better. To say that I am a hobby car racer, but would rather tweak the motor than have it run faster makes no sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I moved to AMD in the P4 fiasco and moved to C2 when AMD was clearly the loser. They still are and there is no justification for the purchase in my view. If this CPU was a better clocking CPU than C2Q then yes. If I could make 4.0Ghz on the same air with the Phenom, then I would possibly think of the purchase as it would be somewhat faster. As it is, I can see no sense to this CPU as a new purchase.

I think I will just bow out of this forum until AMD releases a new architecture that is faster than the current fastest chips across the board, just like Hammer was to P4...

so much for reading my whole post eh? i could care less about 4ghz :shrug: or intel for that matter :) and just because this is an overclockers forums does not mean everyone is as hardcore an oc'er as you seem to be. alot of the people here don't even oc. i oc for fun :beer: not because i need to have da uber ghz. does that mean i should leave and only uber clockers as yourself should frequent these forum's? :beer:

Back