• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Adding switches to internal power wires

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

I am looking at some cheap mechanical toggle switches
i wanted to use one on a fan controller (integrated in a Fractal R4 case) that runs 3 fans (only 2 have LEDs)
the controller uses both the +5v and the +12v wires on the molex plug
I want to use the other to turn some LED lights on/off (not the entire roll, 3ft (0.9144 M) or less)
this would only use the 12v wire

the switches are rated in AC (5A @ 125Vac, 2A @ 250Vac)
This is the raiting on my PSU
17-151-093-Z05

are those switches able to handle the power? i have limited space for larger ones, larger ones will be iffy

Last edited:
Unless they're staggeringly over-labeled, they'll do the job just fine.

Thanks, i decided to use some on/off/on ones (equally rated) i have and just wire both on position to the same thing as i already bought switches that were probably larger than would fit
my case will have tiny ears, lol
pretty eager to make the mods to the case and post the results, but i don't need the case bad enough to get it now and am waiting for Black Friday sales to get that

anyone know a cheap source of that cable mesh? i would like to use that on one of my wires (the only one that leaves the front bezel)

edit made 2 cables and it took about a hour, only 1 has a switch the other is a modified fan power cable for the lights

Last edited:
I am thinking about using a switch to switch between 2 light strings, how much amperage can a switch rated for 0.5 amp at 50v handle at 12v?

Back