• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advanced Micro Devices must face securities fraud lawsuit over Llano

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
(Reuters) - U.S. chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices must face claims that it committed securities fraud by hiding problems with the 2011 launch of a new computer processor that eventually led to a $100 million writedown, a federal judge in Oakland, California, ruled.

In an order on Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzales Rogers said plaintiffs have supported their claims that Advanced Micro officials misled them by stating in the spring of 2011 that problems with the new processor were in the past.

Plaintiffs' lawyer Jonathan Gardner said he was pleased with the decision. Lawyers for Advanced Micro could not immediately be reached for comment.

The lawsuit filed last year accused Advanced Micro of artificially inflating the company's share price by making false statements about the so-called Llano, which it had touted as "the most impressive processor in history."

Originally set for product launch in the fourth quarter of 2010, sales of the Llano were delayed because of problems at the company's chip manufacturing plant, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit said Advance Micro's then-Chief Financial Officer Thomas Seifert told analysts on an April 2011 conference call that problems with chip production for the Llano were in the past, and that the company would have ample product for a launch in the second quarter.

Advanced Micro officials continued to state that there were no problems with supply, concealing the fact that it was only shipping Llanos to top-tier computer manufacturers because of supply constraints, the lawsuit said.

By the time Advanced Micro was ready to ramp up shipments in late 2011, demand had dwindled, leading to an inventory glut, the lawsuit said. Advanced Micro eventually disclosed in October 2012 that it was writing down $100 million of Llano inventory as not salable, the lawsuit said.

Advanced Micro's shares fell nearly 74 percent from a peak of $8.35 in March 2012 to a low of $2.18 in October 2012 when the market learned the extent of the problems with the Llano launch, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit seeks damages on behalf of the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System, Belgium-based KBC Group's KBC Asset Management and other investors who bought the company's shares between April 2011 and October 2012.

The case is: Babak Hatamian et al Advanced Micro Devices Inc et al, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, No 14-226.

(Reporting By Dena Aubin; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/01/us-usa-adv-micro-dev-lawsuit-idUSKBN0MS58E20150401

You said it. That also coincides with Bulldozer, I don't think it was only Llano that hurt the stock prices but that's for the elders to figure out I guess.

Stock seems still at about $2.50 ish last I looked. That is a big come down from before they began to horse shett the consumers and be down on performance even if the speed "seemed" up on the cpu.

Bobert...

So lets see investors bought the stock, it went down so they sue the company....makes sense!!! Whatever happened to taking responsibility for ones own actions? I should try suing every company I've bought and sold at a loss.

Lines up with when I bought in at about $8/share then it plummeted. I now have a 100 or so shares of toilet paper.

So lets see investors bought the stock, it went down so they sue the company....makes sense!!! Whatever happened to taking responsibility for ones own actions? I should try suing every company I've bought and sold at a loss.
:thup:
They won't have to pay out crap.

Guess AMD is done.

Enjoy your proceesors now while you can.

I don't think this suit will go anywhere. It would be extremely hard to prove any willful wrongdoing on AMD's part. Add to that the fact that any buyer of stock has their own responsibility of performing due diligence. Investing of any kind is just another word for gambling. Many times you lose.

This kind of media is soo bad for any company. It's not going to help them in any way shape or form other than waste more money and time which AMD doesn't have a great deal of.

Then people that lost big from AMD such as buying shares get left with a bad taste in the mouth and likely never buy into that company again. Even if it's risk or chance, that hurts the company more.

"whispers" " Hey psst, don't buy into AMD, they's loosen they's arse" This example also works the other way around, " Yea I'd buy into AMD, they have good tech for a good price"

The latter of the two examples is usually what tends to bring more customers and purchasers of stocks and bonds.

Personally, I love AMDs products. Legality issues are in every big company. So I just ignore the bad stuff and roll with the good.

This sucks.
Luckily there will be FX chips to buy used later on to have fun on!! :D

I hope they come out okay after this. I want to see the new platform they are working on. Zen or whatever :)

This sucks.
Luckily there will be FX chips to buy used later on to have fun on!! :D

I hope they come out okay after this. I want to see the new platform they are working on. Zen or whatever :)

I think if AMD is purchased, it might just turn out ok.

It is possible that AMD's desktop processors are going to be strictly APU based chips, I know they plan on X86/ARM hybrid chips which actually brings a lot of functionality to the table.

X86 can over clock...... ARM can overclock....... But can they both overclock at the same time is my only silly question..... and I really do hope it's yes!

Back