• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice and understanding on 1155 @ 5.0 +

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
I've been trying to Oc this 3770K on my single stage cooler for a while now. and i need a bit of advice possibly.

i've tried fixed volts etc i ran it at 5.0ghz for a little while eventually however it couldn't hold that i can so - so maintain 4.9ghz but it seems crazy.

I have a Single stage that doesn't condensate even though it returns at - 45*C , i've messed around for a while now perhaps i'm missing something at this stage of voltage adjustment.

i can run 1.464-1.480 v (CORE VOLTS) with really no change .. right now i'm typing this @ 1.472 v under no load it's at default 0*C no load / it doesn't measure lower for me on this mobo.

I keep thinking im doing something completely wrong but perhaps this cpu is crippled to 4.9-5.0ghz on single stage cooling. on water i could only sustain 4.6 so it makes a bit of sense but im not sure SS is far better cooling than just water.

Any thoughts ?

IF the SS is working right then you've got a low end chip or even poor TIM under the IHS. Just as a comparison I have a 3570k I've been working with on cold water (-25°c) and even with that I still need about 1.55v for 5.1 GHz and this CPU isn't great IMO

Have you tried lowering the PLL Voltage? Doing that helped me push my 2600k a bit higher.

well ,the Single stage actually is quite stable i cant fault it as a the issue the return temps havent really changed or become weaker in years on this unit.

Id like to blame mount / thermal paste but i've done 3 mounts and 2 of them were fine. the last one is current lots of mx4 and pressure.

I will try to lower PLL - it's at 1.8 now.

I was out 4wd'ing and camping part of this weekend.

the thing is its been sooo dang long since i touched this CPU and now im doing this , if i had done this earlier i would remember all the in's and out's but now its been so long i just cant remember what the quirks are.

that's why i made this post. perhaps im missing or miss-remembering a key detail in oc'ing this.

I left this CPU under water for quite a few years at 4.6 ghz it used to run 4.8 under water easy but i backed it off too 4.6 for lower temps perhaps its even that fabled thing called degradation ?

i was actually thinking bart might chime on this since He spent so much time on 3570k and 3770k on Single stage. hehhe .. i would have pestered em on AIM but i forgot my credentials a while ago.

I just reread your first post and still not sure. Do you think the voltage is too high or you can't keep it running at 5.0 long enough to bench?

I just reread your first post and still not sure. Do you think the voltage is too high or you can't keep it running at 5.0 long enough to bench?

Yea i did think that but i went all over with voltage , I thought perhaps i was forgetting some tuning settings , i think it did degrade over time now.

I've tried a few saved profiles i had also when i benched the board a while back on this SS and even those crash in some benches even with voltage boosts.

oh well back to just using it for gaming now. SS will go back into the closet for now

Sf101, one thing I've learned with my Intel chips as opposed to my AMD is, they sometimes need a bit more finesse. Where as most my AMD chips you can just keep hammering with volts the Intels may need a bit of a different approach. I thought the same with my 2600k I tried and tried to bench it above 5.1 and kept hitting it core voltage. It wasn't until I received some advice from a few with more experience then I on Intel, that I was able to. What helped me get up to 5.4 on the 2600k on cold water was lowering the Pll voltage.

Figured out what was going on..
uggg kind of embarrassing in a way.

I had stored this SS unit in the guest room closet for a while and then moved it to my computer room closet later.

I had a lot of old junk in the guest room closet like paint tools and stuff and when cleaning it out i remember finding 2 half moon washer type things , i couldn't figure out where they come from but didn't seem important so i junked em.

After taking this SS off this weekend i pulled apart the head of it to see if anything was wrong and realized the mounting collar slid off not easily but once worked past the evap it come off nothing holding it on except the insolation color around the evap.

Those 2 half moon washers were the washers that held the collar down to the back side of the evap when tightening it down.

So essentially when i mounted the SS it would be a tight mount and then slowly slip loose no matter how tight it was being tightened it was only tightening against the insulation tube area around the evap not pushing the evap head itself into the CPU tightly because those 2 half moon washers are supposed to push down on it.

So even though the mount looked fine when checked it was actually loose in practice I assume it wasn't super loose because the cpu temps would go below 0*C on coretemp when idle but loose enough to create fluctuations on load.

going to have to make a new washer now.

Back