• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice/Critique, please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gborrillo

Registered
Somewhat of a noob in this WC thing, recently caught the 'WC Bug', and decided to go for it a few weeks ago...

Aside from my system specs noted below, I have the following setup as far as WC is concerned:

1. Loop design goes - Swiftech mcp-655 (non adjustable) - single rad (xflow stealth 120) to Cpu swiftech apogee GT, to res by danger den (5 inch bay) to single Black Ice GTX 120, back to pump....

2. Used to have a HDD block, but have since removed.

3. With all that, my temps seem high to me...using core temp, my idle is around 45-47...with ambient definitely not that high in the room...

I am guessing that there is something I did wrong, or could do better. I attached a picture for those who are more visual....

My guess is there is no need for the second rad and that is possibly slowing down the cooling....just wanted a confirm on that. Also, in my previous posts, I said that I do have options as far as changing parts....I have a hydor which appears to be more powerful....also have a dual rad, but didnt really want a big thing sticking out of the case....Also, I have a TDX block but was convinced to try the GT...I think thats about it....

The only thing I added to my system since last week was the res by DD, which sits right above the second rad, as you can see below. Not sure if I really like it, just cus I found it more difficult to use than the T line, but again, I was probably doing something wrong since most posts say that a Tline is easier to bleed....

Anyway, any advice would greatly be appreciated.....I own my own photography business and need to get this rig up and running to avoid any further delays....Much appreciated !!!

PS....pls pay no attention to the few wires loose in the pics....just experimenting with different fans and fan placement. when this is all squared away, the wires will disappear....

tx. myrig (100 of 1).jpg

tx denbob.....already in process of redo-ing, so i appreciate your comments....i presume you would stick with the thermochill rad, as the single rad....

Try remounting the Apogee. Also you have a Stacker, you can almost definitely fit a dual radiator in there! Also consider bowing the Apogee for increased performance.

ok, need more info on how a dual might fit.....i presume you are saying it is better than 2 singles....would probably be able to fit it inthe front of the case, before the drives...i think i saw a setup like that....

as for the 'bowing', i dont know what that is....sorry.

ok, i googled the bowing thing.....is that common for apogee users...u think i should stick with the gt as opposed to the tdx, huh?

gborrillo said:
ok, need more info on how a dual might fit.....i presume you are saying it is better than 2 singles....would probably be able to fit it inthe front of the case, before the drives...i think i saw a setup like that....

as for the 'bowing', i dont know what that is....sorry.
Yes a dual fan radiator is better because your two separate radiators are causing unwanted resistance in the loop.

I have never set up water cooling, I'll tell you that straight up, but I did read up a LOT on it. Most Apogee owners do not bow their block, only the ones looking for the extra performance is willing to. From results I have seen online, it is definitely worth it. Many people saw an improvement of over 5°C with a bowed Apogee vs a flat one. Here's a thread on bowing from XS if you missed it in your google search:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142998

Here are my recommendations then:

Lap your CPU
Bow your block
Mount a dual rad in the front where the drive bays are
Reseat block, use a good thermal paste
Use less tubing

tx all....denbob...will do...trying right now....also, not sure what u mean by lap your cpu....sorry...noob here

btw, not sure how this helps any, but i am currently running at stock, or maybe 3% OC....did not touch any voltages, but perhaps that might assist?

It might drop your temps a bit but you should still be running lower temps so try one solution before the other. There is a guide to lapping the CPU on the intel forums and all over the web. It basically just makes it flatter.

Denbob99 said:
It might drop your temps a bit but you should still be running lower temps so try one solution before the other. There is a guide to lapping the CPU on the intel forums and all over the web. It basically just makes it flatter.
that's what I would do.

Update on changes made:

1. Lapped CPU - looks good.
2. Changed from Apog GT to TDX.
3. In the process of putting rad on, and final assemblies...

Measured temps after lapped cpu, and noted a slight decrease overall. (2-3 celsius degrees)

4. Re-ran water loop, using shorter tubing and added T-line with DD fillport, as opposed to the DD reservoir...

What should temps be given a normal ambient temp? 40s?

sorry - normal ambient temps for me are usually around 30-40c, depnding on whether i have the mail yet

As for the rad, I put the dual rad in the drive bay...did not bow the cpu block. seems like i got a good latch...

Back