• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for a novice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GrumpyWookie

Recently began to notice a burning smell from my pc and thought my gpu was about to die. Upon closer examination I believe it was actually my cpu. I ordered arctic silver 5 and arcti clean 1/2. I used the pea method after cleaning/removing the old thermal gel from both the heatsink and cpu.

I'm using a stock 'Compaq Presario SR5710y' (Athlon 64 X2 4450e 2.3 GHz). The only upgrades done were replacing the psu with a 550w bfg and the onboard gpu with a gts 250. I've been waiting for amd to release something to compete with the i7 or anything new they've come up with. Haven't caught up on recent hardware in awhile. Before I buy a new rig or build one, looking to get some experience and familiarity with some other components.

Back to the thread, the random burning smell has gone but it still feels rather warm. I've posted a pic of what idle temperatures tend to be. I'm a bit worried cause I've downgraded into bit more of a casual gamer; friends dragging me off to things such as League of legends. After a game I noticed my temps spiked upwards to 58-60. I dust my pc about once a month due to leaving the side case open. My gpu tends to run 30-35c idle and barely hits 40-50 at most during gaming. I read that arctic takes up to 200hours to optimize, though am I right to be worried?

Are their any recommended heatsinks/fans for my amd chip? There are no other fans inside the rig. There seems to be space at the bottom to mount a rear fan, though not sure how much room since the cpu and heatsink are close, maybe 3" at most? That's with stock. Should I just buy a larger case as well?

Sorry for the wall of text/rambling, I'm pretty new to cooling aspect. Ambient weather and ac was typically enough but with the rise in weather, I don't want to take the risk. :|

Thanks again for any possible help/advice.

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 56
60C is as hot as I would get those CPU's... but that certainly doesnt warrant any burning smell. Something is going bad somewhere in your PC... on the motherboard, in the PSU. Look for swollen or bulging caps. You may be forced to upgrade sooner rather than later if that is the case.

60C is as hot as I would get those CPU's... but that certainly doesnt warrant any burning smell. Something is going bad somewhere in your PC... on the motherboard, in the PSU. Look for swollen or bulging caps. You may be forced to upgrade sooner rather than later if that is the case.

-What Earthdog Said :D

Back