• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice For New Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koenn

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking to spend around 400-600$ on a new gaming rig that revolves around the new AMD Kaveri APU. I am mainly a Free to Play MMO person so I will not be playing many AAA titles that need huge graphical processing. Now I just have a few concerns about future upgrades with my new system and I will show what my plans are.

APU: AMD A10-7850K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113359
-I am set on this processor since it serves the most bang for the buck and I will not need to buy a GPU.

Motherboard: MSI A88X-G45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130754
-This is were I hit the stump. It is 120$, I am not sure if it is worth it. But I see that it is completely upgradable and I can later buy a radeon 270 for dual graphics plus it is top of the line with 4 ram slots...

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 2x4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31428&ef_id=Uxz0tAAABDP@mcbn:20140329032855:s
-Not sure if 1600 is enough though

PSU: I am not sure of the power yet. Any Recommendations?

HardDrive: Not sure if a SSD or HD but mostly the cheaper option

Case: Not really picky but looking for a MidTower around under 50$

These are my only questions and concerns:
For the motherboard, Is there any other recommendations?? Something cheaper or better?
For the RAM, Since I here that for APU a faster ram is needed, I am not sure how much. 1600? or faster?

Thanks so much for reading!

That motherboard and CPU will work with DDR3 2400 MHz memory, might as well get that.

A QUALITY PSU around 500 to 600 watt will work fine on a setup like that, but if you think you may add a graphics card down the road, you may want to plan ahead and get something a little higher wattage.

On the graphics side, the Kaveri does pretty well on non intensive games, but I would strongly suggest using the dual graphics feature by picking up an inexpensive R7 250 discrete card, makes one hell of a difference. I actually did a comparison review on dual graphics for this site, CLICK HERE.

When you're only talking $50 bucks for a case, there are lots of options. Just go to newegg and and drill down to mid-tower and the price point you're after and start looking around. Think good cable management options as you look.

That motherboard and CPU will work with DDR3 2400 MHz memory, might as well get that.

A QUALITY PSU around 500 to 600 watt will work fine on a setup like that, but if you think you may add a graphics card down the road, you may want to plan ahead and get something a little higher wattage.

On the graphics side, the Kaveri does pretty well on non intensive games, but I would strongly suggest using the dual graphics feature by picking up an inexpensive R7 250 discrete card, makes one hell of a difference. I actually did a comparison review on dual graphics for this site, CLICK HERE.

When you're only talking $50 bucks for a case, there are lots of options. Just go to newegg and and drill down to mid-tower and the price point you're after and start looking around. Think good cable management options as you look.

Thanks fro the advice! I definitely feel better for what I am buying! So you said that a 500-600 watt PSU will be fine. But I will need to get a better one down the road, do you mean with the R7 250 card? or another one. Also, I am wondering how long will this rig last me? I am referring to how much I can upgrade until I will need a new rig.

No, that wattage will be fine when adding the R7 250, as long as it's a good quality PSU. You should be able to upgrade to any PCI-E X16 graphics card at any time, and memory can be upgraded to the maximum the board supports at anytime too. When you need a new rig depends solely on what kind of computing you do, if your computing needs go beyond the system you have, then it's time to upgrade. But thats true with any system you put together. You're on a tight budget with only 4 to 6 hundred to spend, so future proofing will be a challenge.

No, that wattage will be fine when adding the R7 250, as long as it's a good quality PSU. You should be able to upgrade to any PCI-E X16 graphics card at any time, and memory can be upgraded to the maximum the board supports at anytime too. When you need a new rig depends solely on what kind of computing you do, if your computing needs go beyond the system you have, then it's time to upgrade. But thats true with any system you put together. You're on a tight budget with only 4 to 6 hundred to spend, so future proofing will be a challenge.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

Back