• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice needed for Q6600 mobo/heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnalBeard

Right, I apologise that this is a bit vague, but I'm after some advice. I'm looking to get a Q6600, and I plan to overclock it. I've already got a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev-B that I want to use, so I need a motherboard with enough space around the cpu socket to accomodate it. Obviously, the board needs to be a decent overclocker, I don't want to push it too hard, but somewhere towards the 3GHZ mark would be nice. Due to the size of my HSF and the mosfet coolers, Asus' more expensive P5K boards are out of the running (I'm not intending to do any modification, I know you can fit the Ninja to the P5K, but it involves a bit of bodging). So, any suggestions? Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than about £110-120, but I can go over this if needs be. I've been suggested the eVGA 680i, but that's discontinued.

Cheers in advance.

Right, I apologise that this is a bit vague, but I'm after some advice. I'm looking to get a Q6600, and I plan to overclock it. I've already got a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev-B that I want to use, so I need a motherboard with enough space around the cpu socket to accomodate it. Obviously, the board needs to be a decent overclocker, I don't want to push it too hard, but somewhere towards the 3GHZ mark would be nice. Due to the size of my HSF and the mosfet coolers, Asus' more expensive P5K boards are out of the running (I'm not intending to do any modification, I know you can fit the Ninja to the P5K, but it involves a bit of bodging). So, any suggestions? Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than about £110-120, but I can go over this if needs be. I've been suggested the eVGA 680i, but that's discontinued.

Cheers in advance.

Are you saying your HSF will not fit on a P5K board?? :confused: I don't know where you got this from .... There are bigger HSF than yours that fit just fine on any P5K. Hell the DS3R's with its relatively big NB heatsink has less space than my P5K Premium.

The 680i is a POS and at this point I would consider it outdated and runs hot as hell. Go with a P35, GA-P35-DS3L, or any of the Asus P5K series. The only thing I do not like about the GA-P35-DS3 series board is that their vdroop seems to be much more than on my P5K Premium at least. I owned a GA-P35-DS3R before my current board.

the trouble is with the mosfet coolers on the voltage regulators around the cpu socket on the Asus boards, they would get in the way of my HSF.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/pimg/MB-237-AS_400.jpg that's what i mean, all the heatpipes and sinks around the cpu socket get in the way.

EDIT - I forget to add, it must be SLi capable too.

Last edited:
are you sure it wont fit? i have a u120e with 2 fans in push/pull, i dont have any clearance problems at all. other then i have to pull the fans off to get at the scrwes to unmount it.. but its no biggie..

edit: and the 680i really is a pos..

AB, I've not heard of any severe clearance problems concerning mounting the more popular high-end heatsinks on full ATX motherboards. I have used Big Typhoon, Tuniq Tower, Zalman 9700NT, Scythe Ninja (first model), and U12E (two fans) on Socket 775 boards - Asus, MSI, Abit, and Gigabyte. Not once was there a clearance problem with any of them. Whenever I try a new, big, bulky heatsink it seems like, "oh no, this just ain't gonna fit," but it always has.

AB, I've not heard of any severe clearance problems concerning mounting the more popular high-end heatsinks on full ATX motherboards. I have used Big Typhoon, Tuniq Tower, Zalman 9700NT, Scythe Ninja (first model), and U12E (two fans) on Socket 775 boards - Asus, MSI, Abit, and Gigabyte. Not once was there a clearance problem with any of them. Whenever I try a new, big, bulky heatsink it seems like, "oh no, this just ain't gonna fit," but it always has.

after having done a bit more reading about it, it would appear that the issue is not with the fact that the HSF doesn't fit, it's more the fact that the sinks all make it impossible to fit the retention clip, so it's still no good. tempted by an eVGA 780i, any good?

it would appear that the issue is not with the fact that the HSF doesn't fit, it's more the fact that the sinks all make it impossible to fit the retention clip
I have not come across that problem. Granted, the board I've used with highest heatpipe chip coolers is the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 R2. On that board I've successfully installed and run the Tuniq Tower, Big Typhoon, and U120E.

Back