• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on a new TV...for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

Hey all, I'm just looking at getting some advice for a new TV, been awhile since I bought one....I'll be hooking up a Wii and Xbox360 to it as well.

I'm looking at LED LCD set's mainly because I live at 7,700ft and I'm worried about plasma buzz. Also I'm a renter so I still move places and having less bulk on the set would be nice. Also my current living room is pretty sunny, we have a CRT in there now so I'm used to dealing with glare but supposedly LCD's are better with glare than Plasma's.

The last TV I bought was a 26" Samsung LCD for my bedroom (60hz). Overall I like the TV but two things stick out to me and thats flashlighting and viewing angles. So I want those two things to be minimal if I buy a new set.

I'm not familiar with LED sets other than what I have read, the closest Bestbuy is 2 hours away so it's hard to go see sets in person.

I'm strongly looking at the Sony KDL46NX810. It's edge lit but still has local dimming does anyone have any feelings on this set? I'm having trouble finding reviews for it....or can recomend another set? I'm also confused on how I feel about refresh rates. This one is 240hz...I'm used to seeing 60hz on my set...I've heard 120hz+ can make motion seem weird...we do watch a lot of sports in my house though.

I have had to change the bulb in my 62" DLP once in about 5? years (at work can't verify with the receipt :p )

Was $180 bucks, not bad really considering how much they cost back in the day :mad:

Most everyone that comes over to watch TV say it's a really nice picture and asks me if it's an LED, they are usually surprised it's a DLP (some never even knew about them).

Not saying get a DLP ( I own an LED, DLP, and a Plasma). Get the best deal that fits your needs :D

I have had to change the bulb in my 62" DLP once in about 5? years (at work can't verify with the receipt :p )

Was $180 bucks, not bad really considering how much they cost back in the day :mad:

Most everyone that comes over to watch TV say it's a really nice picture and asks me if it's an LED, they are usually surprised it's a DLP (some never even knew about them).

Not saying get a DLP ( I own an LED, DLP, and a Plasma). Get the best deal that fits your needs :D

I will say, if you are after pure screen real estate, DLP is the way to go. You can get ginormous screens, 60"+ for only 1500-2000$. Recently there was a sale on a new Mitsubishi 73" for only 1300. Damn big screens for little coin ftw.

Personally, I am currently saving for a Vizio LCD 40" for gaming. Their latest LED LCDs are the top rated for nearly the entire class.

I will say, if you are after pure screen real estate, DLP is the way to go. You can get ginormous screens, 60"+ for only 1500-2000$. Recently there was a sale on a new Mitsubishi 73" for only 1300. Damn big screens for little coin ftw. :(
Personally, I am currently saving for a Vizio LCD 40" for gaming. Their latest LED LCDs are the top rated for nearly the entire class.

I am 100% with you. Rent-A-Center is now carrying the 73 inch by Mitsubishi. There less than 1000 dollars too. The DLP's last a very long time, and they are relatively cheap, and easy to replace. I believe they are just finding out how to make these TV's wall mountable. Anyone who's had a DLP would understand why I say that that seems impossible, but they're apparently figuring out a way. :shrug: But I would definitely go with a DLP. I went through 2 Samusng tv's in 2.5 years, both LED. So, don't buy a Samsung,:shock: just saying

only issue with most dlp's i've been around (or sold at an electronics store when working there) is brightness. They look perfect.... at low light. The screen looks crappy till you turn down the ambient light 50-70% (usually turning off overhead lights, closing curtains, etc).

they do have high altitude plasmas.

I just picked up an Insignia 50" plasma for $599.

Its made by samsung and my 360 looks great on it.

only issue with most dlp's i've been around (or sold at an electronics store when working there) is brightness. They look perfect.... at low light. The screen looks crappy till you turn down the ambient light 50-70% (usually turning off overhead lights, closing curtains, etc).

There is a calibration disk that you can perfectly calibrate the picture. The brightness is actually on a good setting. The disk I think is like $200 because its sooo exclusive :screwy: Oh well

are there no other tv stores in your area? just to go look. It's really best to go check the TVs in person and picked the one that's best for you. Its a tv that you have to live with, so you shouldnt let someone else pick a tv for you. Read the reviews, makes sure it's not a lemon/see what flaws.
When I was looking for a tv a couple weeks ago, the reviews for an RCA 46" LCD was great, but I looked at it in the store and the bezel would drive me nuts. It was mounted next to a sony and samsung and the picture on those were much much sharper. I got a Samsung 46" instead.

are there no other tv stores in your area? just to go look. It's really best to go check the TVs in person and picked the one that's best for you. Its a tv that you have to live with, so you shouldnt let someone else pick a tv for you. Read the reviews, makes sure it's not a lemon/see what flaws.
When I was looking for a tv a couple weeks ago, the reviews for an RCA 46" LCD was great, but I looked at it in the store and the bezel would drive me nuts. It was mounted next to a sony and samsung and the picture on those were much much sharper. I got a Samsung 46" instead.

Sharper really has nothing to do with anything. Anyone can EASILY adjust the sharpness to make it look sharper. It's all about manufactures settings.

Sharper really has nothing to do with anything. Anyone can EASILY adjust the sharpness to make it look sharper. It's all about manufactures settings.

No. Pixel pitch and panel type have everything to do with sharpness. Not just settings.
Sharpness in a moving picture has to do with response time and refresh rate.

No. Pixel pitch and panel type have everything to do with sharpness. Not just settings.
Sharpness in a moving picture has to do with response time and refresh rate.

Sharpness setting usually just adds halos and stenciling. I normally would advise not even touching that setting unless you really know how to use it the right way. (such as matted or old material)

Well I ended up pulling the trigger on the Sony KDL46NX810 after all. I went to Costco which Costco and they had the Sony model below it, the NX710 and I thought it looked pretty good in comparison to the other TV's they had while keeping in mind the one I ordered should look better. My only concern is the reflections but Amazon gives you 30 day return for any reason so I'll try it out, it seems the TV's I was looking at all had glossy screens so we'll see how the anti-glare coating works...or doesn't work. But I can come back and give my impressions, TV's is set to arrive on Thursday.

Well I ended up pulling the trigger on the Sony KDL46NX810 after all. I went to Costco which Costco and they had the Sony model below it, the NX710 and I thought it looked pretty good in comparison to the other TV's they had while keeping in mind the one I ordered should look better. My only concern is the reflections but Amazon gives you 30 day return for any reason so I'll try it out, it seems the TV's I was looking at all had glossy screens so we'll see how the anti-glare coating works...or doesn't work. But I can come back and give my impressions, TV's is set to arrive on Thursday.

Costco is actually pretty damn bright. I doubt you will have much problems with reflections unless you have bright lights, or an uncovered window directly opposite of your TV.

Back