• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on an Antec...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey guys.... So my PSU blew up today... I'm on my roomate's backup rig.... Stupid cheap no name PSU!!!! :bang head Anywho, I got a guy down the hall tryiong to sell me an Antec Neo 480W PSU.... looks pretty nice...I don't know the specs on it, but it looks like a nice upgrade over my last PSU... What do u guys think? Is it a good PSU to own? Its gonna power the things in my sig... nothing more..Thanks guys!

SuperDave1685 said:
Hey guys.... So my PSU blew up today... I'm on my roomate's backup rig.... Stupid cheap no name PSU!!!! :bang head Anywho, I got a guy down the hall tryiong to sell me an Antec Neo 480W PSU.... looks pretty nice...I don't know the specs on it, but it looks like a nice upgrade over my last PSU... What do u guys think? Is it a good PSU to own? Its gonna power the things in my sig... nothing more..Thanks guys!
how much are you willing to spend on a good quality psu?

i would take it on one condition

The guy has the proof of purchase, so that in the event the PSU fails you can
Get the thing RMA'd in the event it fails

I wouldn't count on warranty in this case. The only reason you need one is the stock fan is useless, and changing it will void the warranty. If you can get it cheap enough, do it. It is powerful enough for your rig.

You will want to change the stock fan, it has bosses that space it away from the lid as well as the grill sandwiched between it and the lid. This produces a 1/8" gap between the fan and the cover that really hurts ventilation. Filing down the bosses or replacing the fan and putting the grill on the outside of the supply will ensure a long and happy life.

SuperDave1685 said:

How much is he asking for it?

Hes asking $60 for it.... I tested it this afternoon by grounding the pins and checking the volatages with a multi meter... everything is dead on....

Def a good PSU, my antec TP430 is a tank, I put Panaflo lows in it and sense modded the rails. I think Antec makes the second best PSU next to PC Power & Cooling. Very reliable aswell, mine has been running under constant load for a year now w\Prescott, 9800Pro, ect. Buy it!

I've got a failed TP430 here, no Prescott required. I don't think Antec is anything like the second best supply out there at present, but they are serviceable if you attend to the cooling details that neither Channel Well nor Antec do.

RangerXLT8 said:
$60 for a Antec Neo 480w = buy it.
I'm not saying I wouldn't but to make a truly expert recommendation you must note that you must buy it, and then fix it, if you expect the stellar service and long life you are assured of with a stock Fortron.

Back