• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on fan controller vs Aquero5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaaG

Hi guys, I'm looking for input on either a single bay fan controller like a Lamptron and some temp probes vs Aquero5.
I also want to put my pumps (mc35x) on the controller as well.
What would be the better way to go? Not worried about the price difference so lets leave that part out.

Well... The Aquaero 5 is a fan controller; albeit a super sophisticated one at that... :D

There are differences between what Aquaero and a "normal" controller:

- Aquaero has many more functions and it is customizable.
- Normal controller is pretty much "plug-and-play".
- Aquaero has a "learning curve" involved in getting the most out of it.
- Normal controllers are just that... NORMAL. You get a few knobs, some times a screen, and that's pretty much it.
- Aquaero gives you full control of what you want to see on the screen via the SW that comes with it.

So to answer your question... If budget is not a factor and you're willing to spend the time learning the ins and outs of the Aquaero, I say go with that one. If all you want is a way to control your fans/pump efficiently and to be done in a couple minutes... Go with a "normal" controller.

It depends on what fans/pump you plan on using.

The Scythe is 12 channels, but can only handle 1 Amp (12 Watts) per channel. The Akasa is only 6 channels, but it can handle 30 Watts per channel.

So it all boils down to what fans you'll be using.

I still prefer Lamptron over those two anyway.

Thanks for the info so far.
So the way I'm understanding it, I dont have to have a channel per fan, I could run multiple fans off each channel with a splitter cable/connection as long as total power doesn't exceed the channel's power, correct?
Right now I have 4 GT AP 29 fans and 2 mc35x pumps.
I am working right now so I don't have time to look up specs but the above question would apply to the oumps as well right?

Thanks for the info so far.
So the way I'm understanding it, I dont have to have a channel per fan, I could run multiple fans off each channel with a splitter cable/connection as long as total power doesn't exceed the channel's power, correct?
Correct. You can use a splitter cable to control multiple fans from one channel as long as the total power consumption is within the channel's specs.

Right now I have 4 GT AP 29 fans and 2 mc35x pumps.
I am working right now so I don't have time to look up specs but the above question would apply to the oumps as well right?

Each AP-29 consumes 0.22A; that translates to 2.64W. Taking into account that power consumption is a bit higher when fans are starting (power up); let's say each fan takes 4W. If you were to get a 30W/channel controller you could hook up 7 fans to one channel and be OK.

The pumps are rated for 1.5A (18W) each so that means you'd need at least one channel per pump to account for startup consumption of 25W+. But since you have the MCP35X pumps and those can be controlled via PWM; you could simply feed them 12V straight from the PSU and wire them up so that they get PWM signal from the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard... This will make them run controlled by the CPU temperature.

Back