• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best fan controller software for PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tango12890

Hi! I am looking for a fan control software that can allow me to adjust fan speed manually. The reason why I'm looking for this tool is i'm hearing loud fan noise even i'm doing nothing so i have a plan to lower the fan speed.
I have searched the best fan controller software and honestly there comes a huge list of tools.

I want a single tool that fulfills my requirements. If you have any suggestion do favor me.

Yep, either through the bios or mobos software will do it.

I haven't used any 3rd party software (for system fans, GPUs, yes) in well over a decade.

Last edited:
I agree that using the BIOS to set fan speeds for the CPU & for case fans is the easiest way to control the fans. I like the Radeon software to control my AMD GPU fan speeds & I use MSI Afterburner software to control the custom fan curve on my nVidia GPUs.

Did the fans used to sound okay and have recently gotten noisy? Have you tried to narrow down which fan(s) is/are making the excessive noise? You might just need to clean things out with some canned air.

I just use whatever comes with the motherboard. Currently ASUS which seems to do pretty good.
But i don't know what motherboard i have. How can i check?
Post magically merged:

I agree that using the BIOS to set fan speeds for the CPU & for case fans is the easiest way to control the fans. I like the Radeon software to control my AMD GPU fan speeds & I use MSI Afterburner software to control the custom fan curve on my nVidia GPUs.

Did the fans used to sound okay and have recently gotten noisy? Have you tried to narrow down which fan(s) is/are making the excessive noise? You might just need to clean things out with some canned air.
I have cleaned my laptop about a week ago so question of dust is not here. My laptop has only one fan on the bottom right side.
Post magically merged:

Yep, either throught the bios or mobos software will do it.

I haven't used any 3rd party software (for system fans, GPUs, yes) in well over a decade.
Where are the steps that i can follow to look in to my BIOS. And dos desktop and laptop PCs have same settings in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Lol...thIs is a LAPTOP??!!! Good to know...you said PC in your first post. ;)

Access your bios (typically by pressing delete or f2 during post) and see if there are fan speed controls in it.

What is the make and model of your laptop?

That said, since this is a laptop and these notoriously run hot, not sure there is much you can do. Reapply thermal paste...but something tells me that you may not be up for such an endeavor.

Lol...thIs is a LAPTOP??!!! Good to know...you said PC in your first post. ;)

Access your bios (typically by pressing delete or f2 during post) and see if there are fan speed controls in it.

What is the make and model of your laptop?

That said, since this is a laptop and these notoriously run hot, not sure there is much you can do. Reapply thermal paste...but something tells me that you may not be up for such an endeavor.
My laptop is E7440. You are right I don't have expertise so applying thermal paste is out of question.

You can try speedfan...

But as it stands, laptops run hot. So lowering fan speeds is generally not a good idea. use coretemp for temps..it will tell you the max for whatever chip you have.

You can also look through the Dell software in the Start Menu to see if they supplied a fan control app. My (fairly old) HP notebook has a program by HP that controls fan speed.

I just installed the FanControl app on an Ivy Bridge SFF with only a CPU fan. Seems to be working well so far. :thup:

It'll be interesting to hear from the OP if the Dell fan & temperature sensors can be found with it.

Back