• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on Hardware Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_Delta_

Hello everyone. I recently built a Ryzen PC; giving my Phenom II PC the role of a personal pseudo-server. The motherboard in my Phenom II PC has always been quirky, but has gotten more unstable and uncooperative over the years I've had it. This morning my reported drive sizes started changing sporadically (gigabytes worth of space disappearing/reappearing); along with BSODs, and random hard crashes. I do not trust it to run my RAID anymore so I am looking to replace the motherboard, and maybe the CPU and RAM along with it.

This PC mainly just crunched BOINC tasks, tested software, and ran my Minecraft server; but also ran my RAID for myself, my roommate, and my friends who backup their personal files onto it. I have been looking around online for replacements, and come across some used hardware I was considering for the job.
The hardware is essentially the guts of an HP xw9400: Dual Opteron 2435's, the motherboard, and 64GB of DDR2; which I think would sufficiently do the job and be fun to play around with. On the other hand; I could just grab a 990fx AM3+ board (for a similar price) and throw my 1090t and 16GB DDR3 onto that. The board I found in question is about $20 less than the xw9400 parts (~$110 vs ~$130).

What do you guys think? Would the xw9400 hardware be sufficient for these tasks? Should I just grab the AM3+ board? Power consumption is not a concern; and I am open to alternative suggestions if you guys have any. :)

Thanks in advance.

Are you limited in how much money you can spend on the upgrade? Just wondering why you are wanting to stay with the older hardware.

Didn't see overclocking mentioned anywhere.

Generally, you don't overclock a storage server or anything where stability and file integrity is the most important thing it does.

Mr.scott, are you trying to say my fx9590/chvf-z/5ghz storage box is stupid?????
(well, I have to agree).
for my 2 cents I'd just replace the board.

Back