• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my current build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lockwood

Hello, well I just made an entire in depth thread and lost it. So I'm going to retype it and trim the fat, then post the build components. In short I have built my first PC for trading the financial markets. Its a dual monitor setup. I run a reuters live news feed, a broker trading price feed, a live chat feed, and do basic web surfing, youtubing etc. Long story short is I am not sure if I'm getting the most out of my build and what I should upgrade first to increase performance for my particular application.

I haven't found much info on the web directed to trading based PC's but for the most part its the speed at which the data comes in and the speed at which the data is interpreted. I would like to optimize the rate at which the data is interpreted first then move onto the speed at which I receive it. So here's what I got.

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 (non-pro)
CPU- AMD FX-8320 3.5 w 4 turbo w/ aftermarket zalman cooler (I'm running stock)
GPU- A old GeForce 8400 GS
RAM- G.skill 2x 4GB blades http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231476&Tpk=20-231-476
PSU- Rosewill hive 650w
HD- Seagate 10000 GB

Currently my temps on load with all applications running are MB 36c, CPU 40-42c, GPU steady 42c, HD 30c.
At this point I do not have enough experience to realistically gauge what I should expect from the system and or what to upgrade first. I plan to slowly upgrade and water cool it eventually basically because I enjoy the build process. If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it. Should I put my OS on a SSD and add a modest OC etc. What benchmarks should I be using for my application etc.

Thanks
LW

20141104_211643_resized.jpg 20141104_205940_resized_1.jpg

What's your internet speed? Both upload and download.

What isn't this computer doing that you need?
Is your application single-threaded or multi-threaded?

Do you plan to add more monitors?

What's your budget on any upgrades you may want to do?

Via Ookla speed test Ping is 12ms, my download speed is 58.48Mbps and my upload is 63.13Mbps. This is from New Jersey to New York (where my broker is). My ISP package is currently 75Mbps with Verizon FIOS. Its not a matter of the PC not performing as is. I just don't know if I could or should be utilizing a overclock or maybe get better speed with my OS on a SSD. If their are certain benchmark tests that I should be measuring or if what I have is pretty much as good as its gonna get or should be. My budget is flexible I just don't know where to put the $ for my particular application, my focus right now with what I have is the speed at which the data comes in and the speed at which my PC gets it to my monitor. Gamers obviously need quality GPU's etc. I assume I want RAM/processor speed to go along with ISP speed. Maybe I am just splitting hairs at this point IDK. Thanks for the reply ATMInside.

LW

Which software are you using for trading?

I'd say your best bet would be to put the OS on an SSD and see what improvements you get.
Check out the Samsung 840 EVO, IMO it's the best performance/dollar out there.

First upgrade should be to get rid of that motherboard. You definitely SHOULD NOT be overclocking that motherboard.

Order of precedence (in my opinion)->

CPU cooler (you'll need one anyway), the 30$ hyper 212 evo is a fine enough cooler for most tasks.

Motherboard -> to get the most out of the 8320, you need a more stout mother board. tons of options here considering your budget

Ram -> 4gb just doesnt cut it anymore. G skill plays nicely with AMD FX processors :)

GPU -> pretty much anything is an upgrade now. Sky's the limit for you here. R9 270x pairs nicely with the 8320's. Likewise you can find used HD 7790/7850/7870/7950's for pretty cheap in great condition. That would be my suggestion if you're budget conscious.

Thanks a ton guys. Glad I decided to reach out so far.

ATMInside- I run a news software: Reuters Eikon. My broker software is called TWS(trader workstation) Both of these running together I'm at about 4-5GB RAM usage. I have used this setup for quite awhile on a old PC and both ran slightly slow, atleast this is what I have noticed once I started using this build. I will definitely look into the samsung SSD, this will probably be my first move.

Bob- Not good news about my MB, I went on the cheap side assuming I didn't need the robustness of a gaming MB.....such is life. I'll have to get to shopping around.
I have a aftermarket Zalman CPU cooler, this guy here...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118128
I'm also running 8GB of RAM currently and I'll look into the R9 270x.

Thanks again guys, I think my move from here is going to be to start with the SSD, then a GPU and mother board. Then learn how to properly OC this thing. I currently have a NZXT 210 chassis(mid tower ATX), any recommendations for a MB in the $100-200 range with a AM3+ socket would be great as I am completely ignorant when it comes to chipsets and the difference in quality from once manufacturer to the other.

If you want something with lower power draw for the GPU (you really don't need a high power one), look at the GTX 750 or 750 Ti.
They both use around 1/3 the power of the 270X and you'll never notice the difference for your usage.

As for CPU/RAM, you're good to go based on the system requirements for those two pieces of software.
If you see yourself hitting your RAM cap, grab another pair of the same RAM you linked and you'll be good to go.

The bare-minimum for a new motherboard would be the GA-970A-UD3P.
If you want to go top-end, grab a Sabertooth 990FX. That said, unless you're planning to push pretty hard there are cheaper boards that'll do just fine for you.

That little cooler will get pretty loud keeping an 8-core heat monster cooled down.
If you want a silent system, look at the NH-D14. They're not the cheapest, but they're awesome coolers.

I apologize, I misread your ram, thought it said 4gb total, didnt see the "2x" o_O

@ ATM -> The reason I suggested the 270x, is because of eyefinity. He can run multiple displays without any fancy hoopla). 750's run VGA for a third port, and... I wouldn't wanna run 1080p on VGA personally speaking. In this regard, Id say the extra 20$ is well worth the cost? edit: the 260x kinda falls in the same category, but would be a better selection than the 750ti imo. edit 2: Apparently some of the mfctrs of the 750 have 2 dvi and 2 hdmi (gigabyte), so make sure to get one of them if you go with the 750.

Most of the 750 and 750 Ti cards that I've seen are DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort for the connections.

Point is, he can go with a much lower power card than a 270X. My example was the 750 or 750Ti because they don't require any extra power connections.

#1 SSD. The prices are so cheap now can get a 250 for just over $100 these days. This would be my recommendation:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...id=1418611278&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+evo+840

#2 750 Ti should do very nicely for a workstation card.

After that I really wouldn't do much else. An OC may give you a small percentage boost in performance but its not going to change the world and it has a chance of pushing your MB to hard. The system should still run close to as good as it can even at stock speeds. If its not good enough at that point, you should prolly consider selling this system and building a new one (intel).

Most of the 750 and 750 Ti cards that I've seen are DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort for the connections.

Point is, he can go with a much lower power card than a 270X. My example was the 750 or 750Ti because they don't require any extra power connections.

Right right, the thing is 750s have gone UP in price, while 270's have gone DOWN. They are quite similar in price nowadays. The 270's are a fair amount more powerful than the 750's though, and eyefinity is EXTREMELY simple to set up. I love it. I am/was/??? under the impression eyefinity is much more simple to use than nvidia? Price is pretty much moot as they are too similar now.

For example, (without mail in rebates) the Asus GTX 750 ti is $144.49, and the Asus 270 is $149.99. His rosewill has FOUR 6+2 pcie connectors, and is 650w, has all the power connections to run 2 cards.

edit: He can pick up a brand new r7 260x (Which has eyefinity) for under 100$ with free shipping, which should meet his needs nicely. Unless we're speaking purely TDP here, that may be the way to go if theres no gaming involved at all.

90$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Last edited:
There isn't any problems with setting up NVIDIA surround either...I've done both.

A single card of any type should be just fine for this guy...I'd go less power use too since he didn't mention gaming.

Unless you do algo trading, CPU OC is not going to benefit you a lot (IMHO). I think that a quiet PC would benefit you more than few MHz.

I remember that Eikon was a RAM black-hole. Don't know if they improved it since I left my IB job....

Right right, the thing is 750s have gone UP in price, while 270's have gone DOWN. They are quite similar in price nowadays. The 270's are a fair amount more powerful than the 750's though, and eyefinity is EXTREMELY simple to set up. I love it. I am/was/??? under the impression eyefinity is much more simple to use than nvidia? Price is pretty much moot as they are too similar now.

For example, (without mail in rebates) the Asus GTX 750 ti is $144.49, and the Asus 270 is $149.99. His rosewill has FOUR 6+2 pcie connectors, and is 650w, has all the power connections to run 2 cards.

edit: He can pick up a brand new r7 260x (Which has eyefinity) for under 100$ with free shipping, which should meet his needs nicely. Unless we're speaking purely TDP here, that may be the way to go if theres no gaming involved at all.

90$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Great post, great points.

I remember that Eikon was a RAM black-hole. Don't know if they improved it since I left my IB job....

It still can be Hippo, they have improved it abit though. I only use about 1/4 of the bells n whistles the Eikon has I get my price feeds from another source for the most part. As far as OC-ing or any of this goes its basically a ego thing I guess. I just want to know when I'm sitting at my desk that my trading PC is kicking ***. I was running a much slower PC previous to this while still having great success. I stumbled across water cooling and overclocking and became interested. Eventually I will water cool and OC my PC maybe to 4-4.2MHz or something like that. I just really dig it but still wanted to design something specifically for my application and not endure an expensive learning curve. From the comments posted and my own research I think I'm gonna get the samsung evo ssd, wait out the holidays and just move to a sabertooth MB. If I do that I will probably just go Intel and get a i7. Then eventually water cool that for cool points. As far as GPU's.....thats last but the discussion about them was valuable.

Thanks again everyone

LW

For what it's worth, 4.0-4.2GHz is easily attainable with an NH-D14.

If you go Intel get something like a 5820K. Much more power in 6 cores with high IPC vs 8 cores with low IPC. Plus the Intel chip has Hyper Threading. And yes you should definitely overclock it.

The X99 CPUs, RAM, and boards are pricey but it's some luxurious stuff I tell ya.

If you go Intel get something like a 5820K. Much more power in 6 cores with high IPC vs 8 cores with low IPC. Plus the Intel chip has Hyper Threading. And yes you should definitely overclock it.

The X99 CPUs, RAM, and boards are pricey but it's some luxurious stuff I tell ya.

He's running two programs that the recommended spec is an i3... He doesn't need a 5820K. At all.

Yea I would be shooting for high IO and memory performance. So i3/i5, raid ssd, 16-32 GB ram. Would wait though for next chipset roll over, guessing we'll have DDR4 in the performance\mainstream platform and hopefully at higher speeds making it worthwhile.

Back