• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Advice PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you intend to upgrade at some point to the FX-series of cpu. 99X boards are better if you have that in mind.

Well... maybe.. I just picked up a 955 BE and and need a board for it. I am sure I will upgrade but will then probably loose the chip at the same time.

out of the two you where between I would pick the MSI. If I was you I would look at the 990 boards in the same price point and grab one of those. Plus would then get to choose if you want to go ATI or Nvidia if you ever what to run sli or crossfire where 890 are mostly ATI

The Asrock mobo had onboard video on it and the MSI did not have it. So the Asrock you linked would have been a more full featured motherboard. NOW NewEgg shows the Asrock board you linked as Deactivated and may not come back in stock. Now that moves me surely to a 99x chipset mobo for AMD use and the one linked below is priced like the MSI thing at Tigdirect and will be upgradeable to FX-series processor.

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AM3+ CPU,Gold Caps,Cool Heatipe,XFast USB,SLI/CFX

+1 to going to a 9xx chipset. Even if you're not upgrading to Bulldozer, it's still is newer/has more features. And prices are usually the same between the high end 8xx and 9xx chipsets.

Back