• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice wanted please on motherboards for gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

taylorjs37

Hi all,

I am after some advice on which type of motherboard, chipset and brand to get for the amd fx6300 cpu with either a HD ati radeon 7950 or 7970 gpu.
I have purchased the 550W PSU, XFX 80 plus bronze and a midi tower case and two 4gb ddr3 ram chips so 8gb in total.

Which of the following motherboards do you advise on for non overclocking and if i was going to overclock?

chipset 990fx
Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X
MSI 990FXA-GD65 AMD 990FX
AsRock 990FX Extreme3
Gigabyte SKT-AM3+ 990XA-UD3

or

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
MSI 970A-G46
Asrock Socket AM3+ 970 Extreme4
GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P

Thank you all!

Hello taylorjs37 and welcome to the forums. I've deleted your duplicate thread and moved this one to a section that is more appropriate. Please only create one thread per topic and check the forum descriptions if you are not sure where to place it.

taylor, welcome to the forum, I usually recommend products that I know are proven to work. I own and have run a Fx cpu on an Asus M5A99X Evo, it is a really good motherboard and if you're not looking to really push the overclocks on the 6300, it is good for about a 4.4-4.5 overclock. I don't recommend any of the other motherboards you mention other then the Gigabyte 990XA UD3. Though you have to be careful with the different revisions of that board, some have issues when you start overclocking these Fx chips.

The rest of the motherboards while may run the 6300 at stocks speeds, at different times I have seen people come to the forum with issues running the Fx chips on them.

If planning to overclock you also need to take into consideration, what you will be cooling the processor with and make sure you have good case airflow.

The rest of your system specs, would be of great help. Case, cooling, psu, etc.

I'm running the FX-6300 at 4.5 ghz on the M5A99x Evo original version, not R.2. I also have the Noctua DH14 monster CPU cooler and a fan blowing on the backside of the motherboard socket area and a case with two push fans and three pull fans. This overclock level was achieved without much trouble and on modest core voltatge. I certainly would recommend a combo overclock, that is using both the core speed multiplier and the FSB. Generally, with the combo method you get away with less core voltage at a given level of overclock.

Back