• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After Effects Optimized Build Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AM2833

First post so I appreciate any help!

I'm trying to build a machine optimized for After Effects, in particular being able to work efficiently within the program (vs. exceptionally fast render times). I've read that it currently favors cpu's with higher frequency vs. more cores, but have questions on a lot of other components. I don't have any huge limitations on price, but I'd like to keep it reasonable.

First attempt at a build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dKN3cc

Questions:
-Video card: After Effects doesn't appear to use the GPU for much of anything? What are the drawbacks of using an integrated card vs. a cheap GPU? Any reason to get a more expensive one?
-RAM: Seems extremely expensive compared to what I remember, is this the new standard? I'd very much like a system with 64GB but it seems to run around $750.
-Motherboard: I don't really know anything at all about motherboards. :(
-Extras: Things like Bluetooth and internet wireless are integrated right? Or do I need to add those separately? My dumb question of the day...
-Cooling: I may be rendering out projects that could take a while, anything in particular I should know about cooling?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
:welcome:

I don't know anything about after effects but I will answer the issues that I don know something about.

Motherboard: Buying a motherboard combines multiple points. 1) Make sure you get a board that is compatible with the CPU that you are looking to buy. 2) Select a board that will accommodate everything that you will install on your machine. (E.G. Total RAM, total number of add-in cards, size of your case, etc.) 3) Price. You will find any number of boards with the features you want so shop around for your best price.

Bluetooth and wireless: Some boards do come with these options, most do not and low priced boards *will not*. Wireless can be added with a PCIe card or USB and which one depends on how far you need to reach out. Bluetooth can be added with a simple USB dongle.

Cooling: If high frequency CPUs are what you are looking at and if rendering takes a while, you will want to look at a few features. 1) wattage. Check the wattage of your CPU and make sure that your cooling solution will handle it. 2) Noise. If you are going to be in the room with a cooling solution that will be running at full speed for any length of time, think about spending for a low noise solution. Water cooling is an option but air cooling works fine too. If you look at going water based, there are new issues to think about such as cooling capacity and room within your case.

RAM: RAM is expensive right now. There are thoughts that it may be going down but I personally don't think that it is. Unless you know for a fact that your work load can use 64 GB, get a lower amount. 64 is a lot by any standard. Heck, for gamers, 12 -16 GB seems to be the sweet spot and then mostly for bragging rights.

Hi Don, thank you! That all seems to make sense.

re:motherboard, assuming I get an inexpensive motherboard that will connect all the components I have (and will want) there is nothing inherent to the board itself that will choke the performance of the machine? i.e. it just connects all the things doing the work?

re:RAM, I run a machine at work with 32GB and it operates fine for most projects. I believe AE uses the RAM heavily in playback which can slow workflow down at times, but ya... I'm not sure if it's worth the price tag. Looks like I should have bought a year or two ago!

Yes, any motherboard will do (the differences tend to be number of connections, overclocking capabilities, etc). But you also have to assume you get what you pay for regarding reliability, a cheap/bottom end motherboard is more likely to fail after a few years than a top of the line model [at least one would hope].

32GB is a lot of memory. How much does your work machine actually use? [check task manager when you have a large project open]

SSD drive is also a good bet.

What version of After Effects are you using? That will determine what GPU is best.
How large of projects are you working with? 1080p? 4K? 1 minute? 1 hour?

Thanks, everyone. Jonan I will definitely start there! Really appreciate it.

What version of After Effects are you using? That will determine what GPU is best.
How large of projects are you working with? 1080p? 4K? 1 minute? 1 hour?
I believe I'm on 2015 at work, but would be running the most current at home with this machine. I have no need to work above 1080 at this time, I'd anticipate project lengths of anywhere from 20 seconds to 3-4 minutes at most.

Here is a test I ran at work. The composition is one image, one camera, and one null. It is 20 seconds long, with the camera animated forward and a depth of field. The est. time clocks in at 2 hours. The machine is a Mac Pro but if it helps the relevant specs are: 3.5 6-Core Intel Xeon X5, 32GB DDR3, AMD FirePro D500.

Screenshot.jpg

I had a 4 minute project over the summer that took ~72 hours to render out so just looking to make sure I do everything I can (within reason) to make that better. If I have to wait, I have to wait. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I would personally suggest the following:

- CPU: Something with 4 cores is plenty as After Effects doesn't do multithreading well. AMD Ryzen or Intel's current generation is fine.
- Motherboard: Make sure the socket matches that of the CPU you select. Otherwise, just pick based on what features you need (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc).
- RAM: You shouldn't need more than 32GB, 16GB is likely more than enough for your usage.
- GPU: You want NVIDIA. Something Kepler based or newer (a GTX 1050Ti/1060 or similar would be my choice here) as you can use GPU acceleration in AE, Premiere, and other Adobe suites with CUDA.
- SSD: Minimum 500GB for you. You'll want your OS, Adobe suite, your project files, and the caching for the Adobe programs on an SSD for best performance. You can move projects you've completed to a regular HDD once they're finished.

Get a motherboard that has 4 memory slots. Start with 16 gb of RAM and then if you find that bottlenecks you you can add more at a later time when memory prices may be lower.

If in fact the software you are running doesn't take advantage of many cores then I would suggest an Intel 8600k which will give you higher frequencies than the AMD Ryzen. There is also the option of overclocking the "k" series Intel CPUs if you get a "Z" class motherboard. And even if you don't overclock the "k" series CPUs have higher frequencies out of the box.

If you are using a mid or full tower case then you will not be limited as to motherboard form factor (ATX, mATX, mini ITX) but if using a small form factor case you will need to choose a motherboard with a form factor that will fit in those confines.

Last edited:
Back