• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After Going from VGA to HDMI connection my monitor refresh rate went to 59.94 Hz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

After Going from VGA to HDMI connection my monitor refresh rate went to 59.94 Hz. I wanted to see if HDMI connected to my GTX 970 and Samsung LS27E390HS was better than a VGA connection, however while trying to play battlefield 4 it was not buttery smooth. When I looked at the BF4 settings I noticed that the refresh rate was 59.94 so I know now it is out of sync. After trying many things like uninstalling the Drivers, reset the monitor to factory default also a new HDMI cable no luck.

Has anyone run into this problem of BF3-BF4 or Warframe showing a sync refresh rate of 59.94 Hz with HDMI? also looking for a solution.

Does BF3-BF4 or Warframe run at a even 60-120-144Hz in the Battlefield or Warframe screen menu With HDMI or DisplayPort on anyone's PC?

Last edited:
The monitor's HDMi port probably doesn't support what you're trying to do or the cable doesn't. I would personally go back to your previous setup or set the refresh to match what windows has in-game. if I recall from back in the day with one of my sammy monitors, the refresh rate was 59.94 as well.

The monitor's HDMi port probably doesn't support what you're trying to do or the cable doesn't. I would personally go back to your previous setup or set the refresh to match what windows has in-game. if I recall from back in the day with one of my sammy monitors, the refresh rate was 59.94 as well.
Do you still have battlefield 3-4 on you PC, if you do could you or anybody tell me what the refresh rate in Hz is in the Battlefield screen menu, I was wondering if it is a even number?

I did go back to VGA cable and now the Refresh rate is 1920x1080 60Hz even in game I did not have to change any settings, the game is smooth as butter again, I would still like to fix it so I can use something other than VGA cable so I can upgrade to the new GTX 1070.

Last edited:
Does BF3-BF4 or Warframe run at a even 60-120-144Hz refresh rate in the Battlefield or Warframe screen menu With HDMI or DisplayPort on anyone's PC?

In BF4 in the Video Options menu I have options for 50Hz, 59.94Hz and 60Hz at 1920x1080.

I'm on a DisplayPort connection with a Dell U2414H monitor.

That is cool, it looks like so far it is my monitor or my HDMI connection. In BF4 in my Video Options menu I have options for 50Hz, 59.94Hz and again 59.94Hz at 1920x1080.

Bandwidth limits on HDMI. Length of the cable matters as well. Longer the cable, the less throughput.

I do not recall Warframe having an FPS limit. You can of course, set the refresh rates IIRC, in the video options in game.
However, I am using DVI so I can't easily test this for you.

I would first look to the cable. Might just be a bad cable, but you have already tried that..
You could try creating a custom resolution in Nvidia's control panel - just leave the resolution alone but change the refresh rate.

I do not recall Warframe having an FPS limit. You can of course, set the refresh rates IIRC, in the video options in game.
However, I am using DVI so I can't easily test this for you.

I would first look to the cable. Might just be a bad cable, but you have already tried that..
You could try creating a custom resolution in Nvidia's control panel - just leave the resolution alone but change the refresh rate.

Do you have Warfram on your PC? if you do could you check to see what the refresh rate Hz is in the menu.

Yes I tried custom resolution and it would not let me set 60.00Hz however it let me set 50.06Hz go figure. It is a new 6' foot HDMI cable I have 2. I'm starting to think it is my monitor however I just purchased it new 6 months ago. I'm starting to think that HDMI is a old CRT TV standard for 59.94Hz the extra .06 time was for when they added color coming from black and white, from what I have read. HDMI 1.0 was a standard from April 16, 2002.

Do you have Warfram on your PC? if you do could you check to see what the refresh rate Hz is in the menu.

Yes I tried custom resolution and it would not let me set 60.00Hz however it let me set 50.06Hz go figure. It is a new 6' foot HDMI cable I have 2. I'm starting to think it is my monitor however I just purchased it new 6 months ago. I'm starting to think that HDMI is a old CRT TV standard for 59.94Hz the extra .06 time was for when they added color coming from black and white, from what I have read. HDMI 1.0 was a standard from April 16, 2002.

Yup, Warframe on PC here.
I have a few weapons that should be ready so I will check tonight for you :)

EDIT: Okay here we go:

I only play in "Borderless Fullscreen". This is because I constantly Alt+Tab out of Warframe to check a webpage or whatnot, and any other screen mode causes Warframe to crash.
60Hz is what i get. (Locked at 60Hz actually)
20160606181100_1.jpg

Interestingly, "Fullscreen" gives me 59.98Hz... :screwy: Monitor says 60Hz though.
59.98Hz is the only option I can select.
20160606181126_1.jpg
My monitor is an Acer AL2017. Nothing fancy.
Try Borderless Fullscreen, there is no difference vs Fullscreen from what I see on my monitor. Everything is smooth here :)

BONUS:
Okay, so I overclocked my monitor to 77Hz (don't laugh)
And i can choose 77Hz now in Warframe, and after a reboot of Warframe, I am indeed running 77Hz in "Fullscreen" and I can switch back to 59.98Hz and the monitor does report the change back to "60"Hz.
20160606182100_1.jpg

Jeeze I've never edited a post this much ever!!!
Check this out:

20160606183129_1.jpg 20160606183127_1.jpg 20160606183128_1.jpg

Maybe this has to do with your resolution????

I still think you should try Borderless Fullscreen.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing all that testing, What monitor connection do you have also what monitor? I'm thinking of using a DisplayPort to VGA converter.

Thanks for doing all that testing, What monitor connection do you have also what monitor? I'm thinking of using a DisplayPort to VGA converter.
No problem! I'm curious as to why different resolutions give different refresh rates like 60.32Hz. Some weird values. :shrug:
Anyways, I use DVI-D Single link here.
The monitor is an Acer AL2017. (Win Vista days...)

While not ideal, a converter might be the best option to get that buttery smoothness we all love :)

Back