• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After move, computer will not start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MatsePDX

Following a cross country move, my desktop will not start. When I push the power button, the fans and lights will turn on for second or so and then stop. If I hold the power button, they will stay on for a few seconds. Any idea what the problem could be? The system is about 9 years old and was working perfectly fine before being on a cold truck for 3000 miles.

Welcome to OCF! :welcome:

You should open the case and assure that none of the connectors has vibrated loose; that long of haul and I'm sure it got all shook up. Plan B, blow the dust out of the case while you have the lid off.

Dad is riggt
Had the same thing happen, ram was loose, you could have same issue and while at it, try to reseat video card as well, those are heavy and tend to unpop

Robert, by any chance was there a heavy CPU heat sink attached to the motherboard during transport?

SOLVED!

Found that the bios settings had been reset so it would not allow me to successfully boot to the SSD. Battery must have gotten loose.

Probably want to change it out then. It may be reaching it's end of life if a short disconnect period let it get completely drained.

How did you get into bios if it would not even start long enough to get into bios?

SOLVED!

Found that the bios settings had been reset so it would not allow me to successfully boot to the SSD. Battery must have gotten loose.

More likely, the battery is run down and needs replacing.

Back