• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

after reading the amd dually article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cmcquistion said:
I second the suggestions for the Fortron PSU.

> > > > > > > > > >

I third the suggestion for the Fortron. :D

But I wouldn't spend extra on the 530w unit when the
400w FSP400-60PFC is rated at 490w peak and has
the exact same amp specs on all the rails except the 12v.
(530 = 18a ... 400w = 15a)

FSP400-60PFC = $59 @ Directron.com

Susquehannock said:

I JUST got into duals, but I disagree, as I WOULD go for the the 530W (600W peak) with 18A on the 12V rail. its only $75 @ Newegg.com

no, these dual AMD boards derive the CPU power from the 12v line and my ASUS board requires 15A on the 12v line and a 400 watt psu minimum just to boot...

therefore, the extra juice provided by the fortron 530 is necessary for DUAL AMD systems..

I hope, for your sake, that you get T-bred B's.

:( just got cpus from newegg.... "AIRGA"

increasing vcore seems inevitable.

but for less than 50 each. i can't complain ;)

ok... i jsut picked up 2 maxtor 120gig hd's....

any suggestions for a raid card??? and also suggestions for quiet 120mm fans that push enough air???

thanks all.... all this stuff makes me giddy like a lil school girl... hehe

sifu quoc said:
ok... i jsut picked up 2 maxtor 120gig hd's....

any suggestions for a raid card??? and also suggestions for quiet 120mm fans that push enough air???

thanks all.... all this stuff makes me giddy like a lil school girl... hehe

For cheap RAID 0, I like the Highpoint RocketRAID 133. It is 66 MHz, 32 bit. My wife's computer (an AMD dually, of course) has been running RAID 0 with one of these cards for two years and never had a hiccup. I ran one in my primary machine for a year, also without a hiccup.

i only need 1 channel correct?

i typed in "rocket raid 133" for pricewatch... and it came up non-raid 1...

so this one can work for raid 0, correct?

currently stress testing 1 chip at a time....

currently at 133*15 = 2000 ghz
1.46v
cpu temp 52* celsius

whats teh most voltage im guessing i wanna keep the voltage below 1.80

i only need 1 channel correct?

i typed in "rocket raid 133" for pricewatch... and it came up non-raid 1...

so this one can work for raid 0, correct?

currently stress testing 1 chip at a time....

currently at 133*15 = 2000 ghz
1.46v
cpu temp 52* celsius

whats teh most voltage im guessing i wanna keep the voltage below 1.80

before you increase the voltage you must get those cpu temps down...

for every .1volt increase expect about 3-5 degrees C increase...

so for you that would mean 10-15 degrees...or 67C tooooo hot

are you using thermal grease...but not too much...need a thin layer

also what heat sinks are you using?

Last edited:
right now... im testing how high i can get the chip.... so i put junk radio shack grease on... cuz i figure im going to be removing the hsf alot...

i have artic silverr 3..... and hte hs in the article, and the panaflos in the article too

so far... 1 of my 4 chips is prime stable at 2ghz for about 5 hours

i want to test them for about 24 hours each singlely, then i can redo the pinmod for the multipliers.... and kick up the fsb....

also.... running single chips is more intensive than dual chips right? cuz it didnt distribute the load yet....

sifu quoc said:
also.... running single chips is more intensive than dual chips right? cuz it didnt distribute the load yet....

Not really. If you run it on two chips, you just need to run two instances of it.

dustybyrd is right about your temps, though. 52C is fine, but once you have two chips in there, you temps will go up. Go ahead and slap two chips in there and do your testing. Watch your temps and don't let them stray past 50-60C.

well, my system is up.... but i have to mod the multiplier agian... didnt pass prime at 15*133 :( hmmm... and system was kinda hot... i think ill try keep it at 1.65 or less for voltage...

any suggestions for a good multiplier? i wanted to get to 2.4ghz... but i dont think that will pass prime....

well, my system is up.... but i have to mod the multiplier agian... didnt pass prime at 15*133 :( hmmm... and system was kinda hot... i think ill try keep it at 1.65 or less for voltage...

any suggestions for a good multiplier? i wanted to get to 2.4ghz... but i dont think that will pass prime....

2.4ghz is probably not going to happen on a dual system...

2.1 is feasible and 2ghz is nearly probable...2.2+ might be possible with water cooling...because duallies just get so much hotter than single cpu systems

but, in my experience 2+ghz requires at least 1.65 volts on my 2100's ("b"s) and 1.8 volts on my 1700's to hit 2.1ghz....i doubt, although i didn't try, that 1.65 volts would allow the 1700's to hit 2.1ghz because at stock voltage (1.6v) these chips couldn't even overclock past 1.6ghz....

try 1.65-1.7 volts for 15x133...and 1.8 for sure will work...at 2ghz..

but you must keep the temps of the chips below 55C or so....they can stand higher...but suppose the room temp changes...need some flexibility...

why is my system so hot???

1.50v
52* celsius, 59* celsius, case temp: 33* celsius

artic silver 3

1960 mhz, 140 * 14 i believe...

sk7, 80mm panaflos...

why is my system so hot???

1.50v
52* celsius, 56* celsius, case temp: 33* celsius

artic silver 3

1960 mhz, 140 * 14 i believe...

sk7, 80mm panaflos...

1) which way is the air flow for the panaflos? it should be blowing into the heat sink

2) what motherboard do you have? (maybe the readings are wrong)

3) are the heat sinks flush with the cpus?

4) are the heat sinks on properly?

5) do you have good air flow through the case? i think my case temps are usually 26-27C

6) are you using a THIN layer of thermal grease?

by the way, if you are getting 1960mhz with 1.5volts...then you could probably get at least 2.1 with 1.65 and likely 2.3 with 1.7-1.8

dustybyrd said:

1) which way is the air flow for the panaflos? it should be blowing into the heat sink

2) what motherboard do you have? (maybe the readings are wrong)

3) are the heat sinks flush with the cpus?

4) are the heat sinks on properly?

5) do you have good air flow through the case? i think my case temps are usually 26-27C

6) are you using a THIN layer of thermal grease?

by the way, if you are getting 1960mhz with 1.5volts...then you could probably get at least 2.1 with 1.65 and likely 2.3 with 1.7-1.8

fans blowing down....

i have the k7d master L

open case so far...

i believe its flush... guess ill check again....

maybe its just hot at my place...

its really hot at my house.... its cooler outside than in my house...

any suggestions for good 120mm fans that move alot of air and are quiet?

Last edited:
hmmm.... my cpu2 is consistantly about 10 degrees celsius above cpu1. is this because my fortron ps, doesnet have the fan on the bottom??

should i try to find one with a fan on the bottom?

currently: 150 * 14 = 2100 ghz
cpu1: 57*C
cpu2: 71*C
case: 31*C

voltage: 1.66v

still testing with prime

Back